What's your favorite artist name?

Ormion

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prisoners Of The Sun and Kopfuss Resonator and Pope Of Gegga are pretty cool names too :D

Mystica and Matenda are beautiful names :)

I don't like names like Hux Flux, Psysex, Bitmonx, Oryx, Psydrop or Skazi, they just sound stupid :P

my child (this is so lovely somehow...)

Yup, like it. Weirdo Beardo and Midi Miliz are cool as well.

XV Kilist I don't get. I suppose it's to do with pronounciation...Exveekilist...Ex-vocalist? Not too funny, must be something else. And what's "Matenda"? I know he makes great ambient sound, but what first comes to my mind is 'matar'. Not so beautiful...

I'm amazed noone mentioned the band name that above all else captures the essence of the goa trance emotion - Total Eclipse. Good goa trance feels EXACTLY like that weird, mysterious mood that the silvery light from a solar eclipse creates.

Another very suitable one is Quirk, or rather it was suitable before they fell into the house trap. Growling Mad Scientists is a cool name, but the abbreviation that has replaced it in recent years degraded the name into pointlessness along with their music. Organic Noise is another name that fits the music very well.

I think Son Kite is a nice and intelligent name actually, and Hux Flux is a cool name if you're a Swede and is familiar with the expression...

The worst and cheesiest of all time has to be Alien Project. The israelis seem to be pretty bad at band names generally - I dislike MFG (Message From God - how pretentious can you get?), Astral Projection, Indoor (I mean.. what were they thinking?), Pigs In Space (oh god...), Cosmic Navigators (cliché ohoy!), Psysex, and ofcourse Infected Mushroom. Good lord that name stinks.

There's plenty more too, but my mind isn't working properly =)

hahaha. But you are right about Total Eclipse! There are indeed many good names out there, but it seems that they were all from the good old days indeed. Isrealis do have the worst names though, I have to agree.

Guest The Journey Man Project

Xenomorph - coz I love aliens

Sandman

Spacetribe

Dark Nebula

Azax Syndrome

Texas Faggot

Wizzy Noise

Nomad

Shpongle

Space Cat

Astrix (dunno how he got the naem but I loved the Astrix comics, to bad about the music)

Elysium Project

Beat Bizzare

Sensient

FREq

X-Dream

Fuzzion

Weird Walker

Cybered

and of course the name I've given myself for my twitsed/tech stuff...

"The Talented Mister Gein (aka TTMG)"

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/gein.htm

I love Miraculix!

And Fractal Glider also.

OOOD of course.

Worst?

Son Kite

201988[/snapback]

Miraculix is just too obvious, even more as it's probably Europe's best-selling blotter art. Almost like Hallucinogen, although as I said I think the really old ones have an excuse as the pioneers :)

You can observe some "periods" of fashion in naming bands similar to many computer companies though not as clearly: from neutral business (DEC, IBM) over technoid (Tektronix, AMD) to hippyish (Apple, Kentucky Fried Computers) back to business...in psytrance it's the classical Indian or drug-related names to quite creative word-plays and a wide expansion of themes, then to more neutral technoid.

Son Kite is nice IMHO (as is Fractal Glider), not a mainstream imagery but a beautiful one...it just doesn't fit their music all that well.

Tatsu, you mean OOOD?! Have a look here for information about the collective

http://www.triskelemanagement.com/oood.html

201799[/snapback]

Hey, I should have followed that link earlier -- just learned that they are identical with Unconscious Collective which I thought had ceased to exist a long time ago. Their Fluorostani E.P. is still very high among my all-time favorites! Just downloading the DJ mix from their page...

I'm amazed noone mentioned the band name that above all else captures the essence of the goa trance emotion - Total Eclipse. Good goa trance feels EXACTLY like that weird, mysterious mood that the silvery light from a solar eclipse creates.

Another very suitable one is Quirk, or rather it was suitable before they fell into the house trap. Growling Mad Scientists is a cool name, but the abbreviation that has replaced it in recent years degraded the name into pointlessness along with their music. Organic Noise is another name that fits the music very well.

I think Son Kite is a nice and intelligent name actually, and Hux Flux is a cool name if you're a Swede and is familiar with the expression...

The worst and cheesiest of all time has to be Alien Project. The israelis seem to be pretty bad at band names generally - I dislike MFG (Message From God - how pretentious can you get?), Astral Projection, Indoor (I mean.. what were they thinking?), Pigs In Space (oh god...), Cosmic Navigators (cliché ohoy!), Psysex, and ofcourse Infected Mushroom. Good lord that name stinks.

202011[/snapback]

I think you misunderstood this topic big time ;)

It's not about who you like most or not. It's about what band/artist name you like and not their music style.

But you picked up the topic idea a bit more in the last half of your post :)

I dont have a favorite. Many good names and way too many bad ones ;)

I think you misunderstood this topic big time ;)

It's not about who you like most or not.  It's about what band/artist name you like and not their music style.

202391[/snapback]

Hehe, but thats exactly what I wrote about - The comment about Total Eclipse is merely putting the band name in a context - I'm not saying that they MUSICALLY capture the "goa trance feeling" perfectly or even make a hint at my opinion of their music, I just pointed out that their NAME is extremely suitable for a goa trance act and that I like the name. Likewise, I judged the name Quirk based on how well it fits the band. I didn't say what I think about their music - Hell, I didn't even say I dislike their housier efforts. I just said the name Quirk doesn't fit as well when you're making prog-house-ish stuff.

If we were ONLY to discuss the aesthetics of the name and in no way care if its fitting for the music etc, there is no point in limiting this to band names - We might just as well discuss beautiful combinations of letters, regardless of meaning or context. But as we're discussing band names, I kinda assumed that we were discussing how good the name was for the band, you know? =)

BTW Kristian, a bit off topic here - were there more Sheyba tracks made than those that were released (Into The 4th Dimension, Ancient Lands, Ganesh, Trance Africa Express, Inside Out)? And if so - anything good hiding in the archives? =)

Hehe, but thats exactly what I wrote about -  The comment about Total Eclipse is merely putting the band name in a context - I'm not saying that they MUSICALLY capture the "goa trance feeling" perfectly or even make a hint at my opinion of their music, I just pointed out that their NAME is extremely suitable for a goa trance act and that I like the name. Likewise, I judged the name Quirk based on how well it fits the band. I didn't say what I think about their music - Hell, I didn't even say I dislike their housier efforts. I just said the name Quirk doesn't fit as well when you're making prog-house-ish stuff.

If we were ONLY to discuss the aesthetics of the name and in no way care if its fitting for the music etc, there is no point in limiting this to band names - We might just as well discuss beautiful combinations of letters, regardless of meaning or context. But as we're discussing band names, I kinda assumed that we were discussing how good the name was for the band, you know? =)

BTW Kristian, a bit off topic here - were there more Sheyba tracks made than those that were released (Into The 4th Dimension, Ancient Lands, Ganesh, Trance Africa Express,  Inside Out)? And if so - anything good hiding in the archives? =)

202393[/snapback]

ok sorry then I misunderstood your intentions :)

No nothing else was released except for a track called Monkey on some compilation in France.

But we are currently working on releasing some CD ep's with remix of some of those oldies :-)

I'll post more about it when I know more about it :)

What about weardo beardo?!

Tatsu, you mean OOOD?! Have a look here for information about the collective

http://www.triskelemanagement.com/oood.html

201799[/snapback]

Yeah, I meant OOOD. It's good to know they are still alive and kicking. Their old sound rocked and I'd really like to see them at a party.

djnemo  Nov 11 2004, 06:43 AM Post #31 

Im wondering, if you all like the groups that you like the names of, and do you also dislike the groups that you didnt like the names of? (musically)

hehe, I tried asking that question, but no answers from anyone. I personally like 50% of the artists that I like the name of as well. But for instance, Texas Faggot, I dont like their music at all, but the name makes me smile when I hear the name :)