Your favourite Psy albums of 2004 so far

sulamando

he he...

it's nu-jazz or lounge or even french house if you want ... it's not at all psychedelic .

but extremely smooth and stylish :-)

Merv Peppler is goooood ...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here I go :

Absolum - Inside the Sphere : It's very hard to name an album that has no bad tracks on it.. and this surely hasn't.. definately my favourite

Xerox & Illumination - Temporary Insanity : After seeing them live, I had to get their album and yes I recomend it to everyone :)

Son Kite - Colour : Blew me away to...

Atmos - 2nd Brigade

Andromeda - Temptations

Chill:

Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun

Yeah and I'm wating for my new Suria cd to arrive, I'm very interested in it..

And maybe the Vibe Tribe album will be a special one to..

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth :: Absolutley an AMAZING album. Best of 2004 EASILY.

Infected Mushroom - IM The Supervisor

Abakus - Closer To The Sun

Sadly, haven't gotten a chance to collect alot of good goa/psy over the best year. Those are the two best in my opinion.

The Good

(i) Release that has tickled my beard the most - Funf D : Angelheart. What a quality CD!

(ii) Best 'debut' full length CD - Talpa: Art of Being Non.

(iii) Progressive CD that made these old knee caps move the most - Haldolium: Haldolium.

(iv) Compilation of the year - JP Noir. More stuff from Japan please (Phi was good too!).

(iv) Winner of the "I know it is not a gem, but I listen to it more often than is good for me" winner - Lani: Our Way to the Sun. Simply delightful light stuff.

The Not Good

(i) Most over-rated cane-shaking rubbish - the Misguided Muppets. Uninteresting full-on. I suppose some people might even call this a 'concept' CD (and the cover is so 'wicked' - it is so 'dungeons and dragons'). Oh well. The Muppets are young. Maybe they will improve.

(ii) Most over-rated chill-out: Abakus: That Much Closer to the Sun. Worse than even OTT: Blumenkraft.

Pedro

Oh dear...this old memory of mine.

I should have added Rinkadink's Rabbit album as my joint (no pun intended) favourite for best 'debut'.

Pedro

abukas?

lol

man, those albuns were great.. Blumenkraft amazing (but it was 2003 btw.. and you see how much it still is in people's minds), and abakus, very gentle, summer music.. high quality

so which chill out did you like, pedro?

I have to confess to being a bit grumpy when it comes to ambient trance. It seems to me that too often these CDs are a bit bereft of musical ideas. In some of the worst cases, they are little better than glorified muzak.

Unfortunately there is no single recent ambient trance CD I can heartily recommend. On the contrary, I am on the lookout for suggestions...

In the past, the two ambient trance CDs which impressed me the most (at the time they came out; they have both become somewhat dated) were Saafi Brorthers: Mystic Cigarettes (!!) and Saafi Brothers: Midnight's Children. released in 1997 and 2000, respectively. Unfortunately, Saafi Brothers' last offering, Liquid Beach, did not excite me as much.

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...

misted puppets hehe, i didnt like it at all, it just seems that i already heard it before, im with pedro, it is highly overated, some concepts are so good but then it fails to deliver.....

i liked, void, rinkadink (i only would wanted it to have 10 more tracks, i think it was just perfect,,,), freq, beat bizarre (the first 2 tracks are very very delightful), and scatterbrain...

I have to confess to being a bit grumpy when it comes to ambient trance. It seems to me that too often these CDs are a bit bereft of musical ideas. In some of the worst cases, they are little better than glorified muzak.

Unfortunately there is no single recent ambient trance CD I can heartily recommend. On the contrary, I am on the lookout for suggestions...

In the past, the two ambient trance CDs which impressed me the most (at the time they came out; they have both become somewhat dated) were Saafi Brorthers: Mystic Cigarettes (!!) and Saafi Brothers: Midnight's Children. released in 1997 and 2000, respectively. Unfortunately, Saafi Brothers' last offering, Liquid Beach, did not excite me as much.

Pedro

202035[/snapback]

Did you hear Emou - Apres Midi?

• 3 weeks later...

You need to clean out your ears old man

204955[/snapback]

Blumenkraft is certainly above average as far as chill out is concerned (is this damning it with faint praise?). The problem I have is that I find a lot of ambient psy trance quite 'unintelligent' and not very compelling.

Maybe it is okay to listen to while I do my cooking or cut my toenails. But if I am going to sit down, have a smoke and listen. Well...I do get bored.

Take a track like Somersetter. It has a decent crazy dub feeling to it. But it is really not that special. I have so many more interesting dub stuff around - classic dub, modern dub, minimal dub techno. And I prefer it. Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

Nevertheless, I hate to be so negative. I will just have to allocate more time in the next few months to listening to more ambient psy trance. I will then be able to give positive recommendations regarding ambient psy.

Pedro

Here is my definite list since it is end of the year :

JUNO REACTOR - LABYRINTH

TALPA - THE ART OF BEING NON

SPACE CAT - MECHANICAL DREAM

WIZZY NOISE - STEREO ELECTRIC

SYN SUN - SYMPHONIC ADVENTURES

ELECTRIC UNIVERSE - COSMIC EXPERIMENT

SURIA - LOGICAL EVOLUTION

MIRACULIX - THE ARRIVAL

PROMETHEUS - ROBOT.O.CHAN.

HUMAN BLUE - ELECTROLUX

ASTRIX - ARTCORE

AES DANA - MEMORY SHELL

H.U.V.A. NETWORK - DISTANCES

I still haven't heard YPSILON 5 and FILTERIA album and since they are mostly goa trance, I am sure they would be my favourite ones...Can't wait to get them!

I can think of only two albums I can really get excited about from this year:

Filteria - Sky Input

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

Filteria shows that it's still very possible to make fresh sounding, intense, melodic goatrance and Juno shows how to blend different musical styles for amazing results (IM & X-Dream take notes coz your attempts sucked).

Then there has been lot of proggy stuff that I can't get excited about but is still good/ok/nice/pleasant listen:

12 Moons - Solid State

Andromeda - Temptations

FREq - Strange Attractors

Kooler - Open

Son Kite - Colours

The Higher Human Form - Neurohighways

And some other stuff worth mentioning:

Four Carry Nuts - Mechanical Age

Fünf D - Angelheart

Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss

Actually, while hunting for older stuff I didn't hear much released this year. Among those the only two albums were worth listening:

Four Carry Nuts "Mechanical age" and

Prometheus "Robot'o'chan"

Special prize goes to:

Sub6 "Who needs love songs" for just two tracks "Blox loggers" and "Buttersonic" (others were just OK).

Electric Universe, Jupiter 8000, Astrix, Analog Pussy, Wizzy Noise, Psycraft, Lemurians, Rinkadink, Xerox and Illumnation, and some others mentioned above were nothing so special for me. I even find some of them boring.