Albums you dislike, but the reviews say otherwise

Neogoa

I'm trying to think of the old psy news and when classic albums were highlighted in red, if there were any that were highlighted and I disagree with and I have to say no. They were all highlighted perfectly.

Oh man, I loved that outlook! And yes, the red highlighted ones usually deserved it.

@Ormion & @Abasio, I'll try the album again tonight, I'll jump start today, will skip first 2-3 minutes. I really want to like it too, I love couple of tracks lonely star and everlasting if I'm not wrong but I don't like the album as a whole as much as Life^2

Morphic Resonance - The City Of Moons

Just can't stand that production 'quaility' but everyone going crazy about it...

it is intense and acidic, but overly harsh and "loud". it's ok, but i really don't see what most reviewers see.

I really think that E-Mantra is ridiculous talented, but he wastes his talent in half-assed efforts. Maybe because he produces so many albums?

For example his downtempo tracks are almost copy/paste. No offence to Emmanuel is he's reading that.

yeah. i love his style, but we get lots and lots of tracks that in the end all sound the same.

Off the top of my head, Toi Doi's Technologic comes to mind.

definitely. there's not a single track on that album that i like. it sounds dated, amateurish and the melodies are annoying.

I don't see any reviews over here appreciating them :D:P

come on, eye to eye is a classic. the definition of isreali morning fullon ;)

Just can't stand that production 'quaility' but everyone going crazy about it...

I didn't mind this but I cannot understand the love in for it from most reviewers.

Total Eclipse- Violent Relaxation, Delta Aquarids

X-Dream - Radio

Celtic Cross - Hicksville

Orichalcum and the Deviant - Orichalcum and the Deviant

Ka-Sol - Fairytale

Toi Doi- Technologic

Art of Trance - Wildlife On One

Hux Flux- Cryptic Crunch

Ree K.- Yammataikoku

...and pretty much anything by California Sunshine, Eat Static, and Juno Reactor.

Come on, Juno reactor is a class act.

Also, I really don't understand what's so special about

"Ishq - Orchid"

It's the same old birds chirping , water flowing/bubbling and Jacqueline saying few blah's. May be when it was released it was new or something, idk. But as of now it's meh. I got it few months ago & it didn't strike me as a gem as it should according to the reviews.

• Like 1

@Ormion & @Abasio, I'll try the album again tonight, I'll jump start today, will skip first 2-3 minutes. I really want to like it too, I love couple of tracks lonely star and everlasting if I'm not wrong but I don't like the album as a whole as much as Life^2

I loved Life2 but Radio Universe is on another level :ph34r:

Come on, Juno reactor is a class act.

Also, I really don't understand what's so special about

"Ishq - Orchid"

It's the same old birds chirping , water flowing/bubbling and Jacqueline saying few blah's. May be when it was released it was new or something, idk. But as of now it's meh. I got it few months ago & it didn't strike me as a gem as it should according to the reviews.

Hmmm......

Matt Hillier is an ambient genious. His sound is so far away from anything else I've heard but in style & quality. His music sounds so natural, so clean. so relaxing & uplifting with every element in perfect harmony.

Orchid, as far as I know, is the only full release under the Ishq moniker. Released on Interchill Records as a a single disk, I was lucky enough to get the Dakini release with an extra CD with 40 more minutes of ambient bliss.

CD1

1. Skyblue

Starts off with just beats & a subtle building sound in the background. That continues to build as some strings and rushing sounds build a melody. Light squelchy sounds, what could be a sonic waterfall & a woman's voice come in & out throughout.

After the beat breaks down you can hear the sound of seagulls & waves against a shore. In the background is a melody played on first what sounds like a harp but the sound morphs into piano then harpsichord.

Everything stops briefly & the track has to rebuild itself. I light drone followed by a melody is all we have until the light beats kick back in an it's as you were.

This very nice dreamy opener puts me in mind of a clearing in the forest with a lake on a warm summer's day. Knowing that life is good & you are safe to relax in the beautiful surroundings.

2. Yu

The waves cross us over into Yu & along with the waves comes a trickle of a stream. A small chime & an Asian voice sound briefly before the melody played on a harp(?) and an accompanying double synth melody float us into the sky. It all sounds very mystical with a hint of Eastern promise.

A very laid back piece, perfect for a warm summer morning sitting on the porch watching the fish in the pond & the birds in the trees. Music to help you commune with nature.

Mystical flutes & ethereal voices give this morning a sense of wonder, like anything or nothing could happen but either way it's going to be a great day.

3. Opal (Opaque Mix)

Water is dripping & as the rate increases into the steady flowing of a stream we float down it. Very very soft subtle beats in the background are under the water yet don't sound wet. Even more subtle than the beats are the vocals. So subtle that when you hear them you know they are there but when you can't hear them you wonder if they are missing or just to soft to hear.

A fantastic piece of Ambient, manages to sound percussive & beatless at the same time.

4. Daisy

Sounds like a Zen Garden of Paradise. The sounds of birds can be heard in the trees & the melody sounds like a small bamboo water feature ever tipping. The water comes in fills it up, it gets to heavy & expels the water continuously tipping. There is no sound of the water though, just the tipping. There are an influx of very natural sounding synthetic sounds combined with more real sounds making an atmosphere close to a fantasy world. Like this garden is in another dimension. A dimension of light, a dimension of sound, a dimension of Peace & Tranquility. Almost voices whisper from just out of earshot, muffled warmth with the ever present tipping, the trickling of a stream & the birdsong.

5. Cyandragonfly

Keeping with the garden theme but with a much more aerial feel to it. This track seems to fly over the water rather than sit by the side of it. The sound of water seems to pass by quickly but never leaves, like skimming over a pond then round the edge & back again. Cyandragonfly also feels a little later in the day, the midday sun has relaxed his glare & has fallen a little deeper in the sky. Kids play by the side of the opposite side of the pond to where I fly, halfway through I land on a small rock in the middle of the water & watch as the children play in the distance. The birds are still singing and the breeze brings with it bits of melody & conversation yet not enough to understand if it is human conversation or not.

What really gets me about this track though is towards the end, Ishq samples a bird. i don't know what bird it is but I've only ever heard it in Britain & I'm instantly put in mind of the woods near my house as I was growing up.

6. Bhakti

The transition sounds like a plane passing overhead but when it goes there is stunned silence, just the sounds of a few birds. 2 more planes go by, something cries & then the most beautiful of melodies comes in. It's warm & melancholic at the same time like remembering a lost love on a warm summer evening. Light beats come in & I feel like I'm back on the porch after a long day. Psirens try to call to me but I'm happy in my chair with a long drink & a long memory. The melody reemerges but falls under long drawn out sounds. The wind too has picked up & makes the wind chime hanging from my porch cry out.

7. Arc

A long drawn out synth is followed shortly by another & together they manage to sound like an empty choir. The most subtle of melodies can be heard under the voices but just as you catch it it disappears from your mind. It all changes at once yet it's not sudden & it feels quite right. The new melody is over some piano chords and the birds are still singing but with less vigour than before. As the music leaves we are left with just the sounds of the water & the quite singing of the birds.

CD2

1. Fluid Earth

The sound of a river & water dripping into it from high places greet us at the start but the more the dripping grows the less river there is until there is only dripping. Over the drips comes a light shifting drone. It shifts up then down then invites all the other sounds to join in it's dance. Like a sunbeam lighting up all the falling dust. As the beats come in so do a few darker (yet not dark) sounds & I feel like I'm in the mouth of a cave with the bright daylight to one side & the mysterious earth to the other. Mysterious voices call from each side & I want to go to both but end up staying right where I am wondering but not acting. Weird sounds float around me, drip around me, rush up from underneath me. Both musical & relaxing, beautiful & surreal.

From outside i can hear frogs by the pond croaking in unison but from inside the cave I can hear beautiful Angelic voices. I follow them inside & rush deeper & deeper. They call to me, am I a drop in the ocean or an ocean in a drop? The more the synths push me deeper the more I become submerged in the music & in my own mind. I stop & rest & take in the wonder of the hidden nature. As I stop the voices come closer but disappear in a crescendo of dripping water & all I can hear after is the frogs. I open my eyes & I'm back in front of the cave listening to river below me.

2.Blue Haze

The river flows into Blue Haze but as I disembark onto the banks I see an old man playing an instrument unbeknown to me. He plays it nonchalantly & draws me in. I cannot pass by, I must stay and watch as he plays his tuneless tune. It's just a long drawn out drone with a few strings but it's amazingly engrossing.

3. Opal (Original Mix)

Well CD1 has the opaque mix & now we are treated to the original mix. The melody is more prominent & the wet sounds are more reserved. The air sounds clearer like the day after a big storm. Clear blue sky up above & beautiful wet greenery all around. Beatless, no percussion except for what's created by the drops of water falling from the leaves to the ground. Amazing how the opaque mix is so different from this original while retaining the overall feel. Both very nice and perfectly placed on this journey.

4. Essene

Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember! a soft voice repeats at the start. He repeats other words too softly to comprehend. A light uplifting drone is just about all else there is. Occasional sounds like bells & chimes come in & out very lightly. A perfect track to end the journey & send us into the realm of dreams.

A beautiful journey through a natural wonderland. Perfect for relaxing to. Turn off the lights, get horizontal close your eyes & drift away. You wont regret it believe me.

Copy and paste from my original review.

I have tried all that. :/ may be someday I'll find a liking to it. These days I'm dozing off to emphatia :) and Phobium Oort Cloud :D so no place for Ishq. I'll try it out in few months for sure.

I agree with T2MU about Juno Reactor. I have eternal respect for them for pretty much co-created Goa Trance, but I never liked their tracks.

The same with Eat Static.

Juno Reactor-Beyond The Infinite & Shango

Most E-Mantra albums

total eclipse - all of them

regarded as classics, but really i don't see anything special. they have a handful decent tracks and that's it.

Astral Projection - Goa Classics Remixed. I don't get what's the big deal with this album. It's just a copy paste collection of classics just made on AP's studio. There is no mix, remix or any kind of input by AP.

Prana - Mugen rmx is quite special. There's a couple more that are good versions. But overall I'd agree.

Total Eclipse- Violent Relaxation, Delta Aquarids

Orichalcum and the Deviant - Orichalcum and the Deviant

Ka-Sol - Fairytale

Toi Doi- Technologic

Hux Flux- Cryptic Crunch

I agree with these!

There's many more, too many especially talking about new stuff... but I don't like the trash talk so let's let it be.

What is with you guys. Juno reactor is awesome :D

recall - transmission Waaaaw :)

Recall - Beyond the infinite , sweet!

Recall - First few tracks on bible of dreams, bloody f'in wow

Recall - Luciana , hmm

Recall - golden sun , zombiiiiz,

None of it works?

Really?

Fine :|

Astral Projection - Trust In Trance

I feel like vomiting when trying to relisten this. :wacko:

Especially if I hear Mahadeva 95 somewhere on a party, I just go outside and wait for it to pass. I think that that is THE most overrated track ever made. When you mention goa to a psytrancer here in Serbia there all like "Yeah yeah mahadeva kabala kickass broo!"

Haha, I'm gonna weigh in and say that I partly agree with you here. I like Another World and Dancing Galaxy more than Trust in Trance but overall the AP style rarely does it for me.

Agreed.

There are two camps in the Goa/Psy Trance realm: Those who think Astral Projection (specifically Mahadeva) is the pinnacle of classic Goa Trance beginnings and those who think Hallucinogen (LSD / Twisted) is the classic root of all things Goa.

This guy gets it! I was thinking about drawing a distinction between Israeli and British goa but then I realized that I love MFG, Pigs in Space, Cydonia etc.

I think it can be more accurately divided into melodic goa that is influenced by earlier trance, and goa that is more influenced by industrial music. To some extent it's crazy that we label it all goa. There are massive stylistic differences between the extremes of these two kinds of goa.

Personally I'm a big fan of industrial music, harsher, darker, weirder and more experimental sounds, and I see that there are many others here too who are like me. On the other hand, there are many people who live the brighter and more melodic sound.

• Like 1

i love the british sound. D5, hallucinogen, eat static, mwnn, chi-a.d., shakta cosmosis,... but i preferring softer melodic sound (and the british excel here too) i'm in the mahadeva camp.

what's really sad is that the british with their apparently inborn talent to make great music (also evidenced by their dnb, rock, ... you name it) don't contribute any artists to the newschool goa scene...

inspired by the other thread i'd like to add all battle of the future buddhas albums to my list of dislike.

it's also not that i generall dislike all darker/industrial stuff. tim schuldt, the delta, kopfuss resonator, planet ben, midi miliz ... are all fine for me.

maybe there's a divide between german techy, dark and harsh sound and swedish noisy, dark and harsh sound? ;)

• Like 1

i love the british sound. D5, hallucinogen, eat static, mwnn, chi-a.d., shakta cosmosis,... but i preferring softer melodic sound (and the british excel here too) i'm in the mahadeva camp.

what's really sad is that the british with their apparently inborn talent to make great music (also evidenced by their dnb, rock, ... you name it) don't contribute any artists to the newschool goa scene...

Haha, yes a hugely disproportionate amount of innovative electronic music comes out of Britain. I think that the reason why there's so little newschool goa trance here has something to do with the prominence of the darker sound - all the talented producers are pouring into techno, grime and they've been brought up on genres like dubstep, garage and trip hop. All my friends into electronic music like more rugged and dirty sounding music (thus the huge success of Burial). I'm exactly the same way, most newschool goa doesn't do it for me either. Just my personal anecdote.

inspired by the other thread i'd like to add all battle of the future buddhas albums to my list of dislike.

it's also not that i generall dislike all darker/industrial stuff. tim schuldt, the delta, kopfuss resonator, planet ben, midi miliz ... are all fine for me.

maybe there's a divide between german techy, dark and harsh sound and swedish noisy, dark and harsh sound? ;)

I totally understand that - horses for courses! Battle of the Future Buddhas are very polarising and even I don't enjoy it when I'm not in the right frame of mind. Yeah genres can be infinitely subdivided ;)

• Like 1

i thought he was from spain?

@acid-brain

what's "burial"?

You're Right. He wrote about moving out of UK after the vote isn't it? I have read it somewhere. Probably the Brexit thread.

So back to 0 Neogoa from U.K (very hard to believe actually)

You're Right. He wrote about moving out of UK after the vote isn't it? I have read it somewhere. Probably the Brexit thread.

So back to 0 Neogoa from U.K (very hard to believe actually)

Found it: https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/72115-am-interested-why-no-one-here-is-talking-about-the-brits-opting-out-of-the-eu/page-2?hl=brexit

I didn't know that people who voted Brexit also destroyed Neogoa in the UK! Shame!