Mad Max - Fury Road

Lemmiwinks

Not sure if this is actually a movie or a 2 hour-long music video on angry Femen going to Burning Man?

Ok, visually it's stunning but it's like 100% special effects, 0% story, I remember when Michael Bay did this with the Transformes a few years ago the critics were furious, now everyone is calling Fury Road a masterpiece, WTF? And calling the main carchter Imperator Furiosa, come on, a 5 year-old could come up with a better name...

Is it just me or is the general audience getting dumber by the years?

I thought it was fucking fantastic. Proof that a visionary production does not necessarily need a story. Actually, the little background info that you can surmise from what is happening has that mythos-building quality like ancient myths translated into operas, where the story often is not really fleshed out and rather simple but where the production-quality is of such a level that the piece becomes something else.

God I wish there were more movies like this. Don't get me wrong, I'll be one of the first to complain about a movie lacking story, if that's one of the selling points of the movie. As story has never been that for the mad max movies, and the rest is that good, I don't care about it.

I don't know how fair it is to criticise a movie i haven't seen (and probably will avoid to see), without even as far as i remember seen the older parts, but i wonder what this kind of no-sense suspense super-tense bombastic violence movies have to add..

why they are still trying?

..i mean holywood is full of this kind of scenarios where the (american) world is facing an ultimate (paranoid or alien) evil which seeks rapidly to destroy the american way of life and through tense, despair, massive desasters and bombastic explosions tough (or sensitive) super cowboys save the american flag ..and human civilization ofcourse.

And it's not about cinema only..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIDr8MJTbc

Was this some kind of promotion?

I don't know how fair it is to criticise a movie i haven't seen (and probably will avoid to see), without even as far as i remember seen the older parts, but i wonder what this kind of no-sense suspense super-tense bombastic violence movies have to add..

why they are still trying?

..i mean holywood is full of this kind of scenarios where the (american) world is facing an ultimate (paranoid or alien) evil which seeks rapidly to destroy the american way of life and through tense, despair, massive desasters and bombastic explosions tough (or sensitive) super cowboys save the american flag ..and human civilization ofcourse.

And it's not about cinema only..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIDr8MJTbc

Was this some kind of promotion?

lolololololol

It's pretty clear that you have not seen this movie and have no idea what was going on in it

there is no sign of an American or alien; although I would totally watch Mad Max vs The Aliens...

It's pretty clear that you have not seen this movie and have no idea what was going on in it

there is no sign of an American or alien; although I would totally watch Mad Max vs The Aliens...

True, the kind of holywood cheesiness "all hunanity unities under the american flag" doesn't fit here, still knowing that the scenery & the plot is post-apocalyptic dealing with barbarization, i can't understand what this movie has to offer except from what i assume as "cult figures", bombastic effects and tight suspense, elements we have experienced in classics like Blade Runner, Terminator 2, Alien Trilogy, The Predator, Matrix Trilogy, Batman Begins etc.

But as said before, maybe i can't criticise more since i'm not good knower of the series.

Not sure if this is actually a movie or a 2 hour-long music video on angry Femen going to Burning Man?

Ok, visually it's stunning but it's like 100% special effects, 0% story, I remember when Michael Bay did this with the Transformes a few years ago the critics were furious, now everyone is calling Fury Road a masterpiece, WTF? And calling the main carchter Imperator Furiosa, come on, a 5 year-old could come up with a better name...

Is it just me or is the general audience getting dumber by the years?

Do you not recognize the difference between practical effects and CGI? This movie is like the exact opposite of Transformers. There is some very real, very awesome vehicular carnage going on in this movie. And it's amazing! Transformers is basically an animated movie.

The action in Mad Max Fury Road is logically edited and can be followed from one thing to the next. I was so engaged in just being able to understand where the characters were, what the given situations were, what their goals were, how they were going to accomplish those goals, etc. The shot variety, the visual information, the stakes involved, all just engaged me in ways Transformers could only dream of.

The movie was insane. No major spoilers...

The film captures the tone and feel of the trailer (even the same music and score). The action was kept mainly organic (without CGI) and we preferred (loved) that old-school approach. The film's crazy, as if a war broke out at Burning Man on wheels. We had some gripes with Max's character who doesn't say much. He isn't very likable and could have broken out better (once he does from his PTSD or whatever). Viewers are told why, but I still thought he could have had more personality once he gets that mask came off that he's in the half the freekin movie (after the opening). The film could have dropped his character IMO and just been called, "Fury Road" or "FURIOUSA" since it's more about Charlize Theron's Furiousa and her objective. But in the end, I was happy he was there to balance out the female arc a little. The director took a risk developing the premise and plot after the action begins. There's very little dialogue in the film, but I think that enhances the action and atmosphere, both A impressive. Some choices by the good guys felt less rational at times, but I realize they're desperate, surviving against innumerable odds. The crazy white guys are like a vampire cult which really ups the ante.

I can see how some would criticize the film for having a shallow story/plot or rather lack of; it's basically a getting from point A to B type movie because of A or B that happened. So the result is a film that's more or less an epic, insane car/combat chase built on a premise. But it works. Adult movies are seldom this good and rarely this groundbreaking. Transformers was mainly CGI (overload) and this is not. A little more backstory on Furiousa would have been nice though, as Fury Road could have easily been two parts unless they make a prequel showing the backstory of Furiousa since she obviously has a lot of history as a fighter, leader, and relative to the super villain. Also, I think it would have worked if they showed us a 5-10- minute summary of the first three films, then said... 20 years later (or however long its been) to catch people up and for those who haven't seen the originals. But you don't need to see the originals to enjoy Fury Road IMO.

If you liked the trailer, you'll probably like the film. If you didn't, don't bother. The film has a good message. Charlize Theron's "Furiousa" and "Nux" steal the show. Max could have been better (lacks personality and implied to be too psychologically affected to enjoy that much). Maybe overall an A- but we'd give: action, STUNTS, choreography, and special effects an A. It's the best action film of the year and possibly in years. John Wick was also great.

Does that mean you'll like it? No! Some will find it too action-y and extreme, weird (the cult's culture) and non-stop. But we personally liked it A LOT and hopefully next time they'll be more substance to compliment the awesome action. I imagine 4/5 people will consider this one of the best (or most impressive) action films ever made while some will simply not care for it for any number of reasons.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I managed to sit through (almost) an hour of this "Machiavelian Burning Man" before getting overwhelmed by the sensation that I'm wasting my fucking life :P:lol:

A lot of people recommended it and I was curious to see what the latest greatest action film has to offer. I had no expectations about a good story, so that's not a factor. I suppose I was thinking it would be more artistic in the form of choreography, camera angles and smooth action flow. And while there are very faint glimpses of all that, things are moving so fast that you can't even put together what just happened or if it even made sense... so the result is a sensory overload through fast frames, bright explosions and graphic murder. Not my cup of tea :D

• 3 weeks later...

I rewatched it on blu-ray. This is definitely one of the best action films ever made.

You should watch the extras as well. Everything is practical and I mean everything. They only removed the wires in post production and add some digital backgrounds like the storm.

The stunts are mental. Batshit insane.