Old school-new school

Goa-Head

Reading a review by our iconic reviewer trance2moveU a thought came in mind. It's 2015 and it's already almost a decade that the Goa trance comeback started. It mainly started with Metapsychic Records and their free 320kbps MP3 release Pyramidal Trancendence. It was from there on that we saw a wave which eventually turned into a cascade and finally a sea of free mp3 downloads @ 320 k and eventually WAV and FLAC *with (most times) perfect mastering* with the eventual mushrooming of more labels releasing CDs. Needless to say, Suntrip had already started in 2004 but that was still a small fire in a bush, Metapsychic was like throwing fuel to the fire. Further it was Old is Gold who released Golden Vibes. BTW - is this label dead or what? I really miss it.

If we take a neo release (whatever format) from say 2007 it's now already 8 years old. Compare a release from the allmighty anno 1996, 8 years after it was 2004 and releases from '96 were already being hailed as classics.

Let's make a list of classic neo goa (all formats)

Pyramidal Trancedence

Lost Buddha ‎– Ataraxia EP

Vox - Innerpolarity

Human Hyperactivation (lesser known because this wasn't for free like their first v/a but no less stunning)

Golden Vibes series

Nolax - Persistence

Pure Planet 2

Apsara

Filteria - Heliopolis

Goasia ‎– From Other Spaces

New Born - The Observer EP (likely very much unknown when released)

New Born - Trip to the Luna King EP (same as above)

Twist Dreams

Label Buddha Mantra
For sure released some interesting stuff in the beginning.

Transwave - Backfire - not neo goa but not a reissue of an album either, still worth a mention.

Jelly Marbles

Goa Deluxe**

**joke of course

I'm sure most of these now have been forgotten. What other 7-8-9 year old can you recall ? How does it feel about newschool oldschool? Does it feel like late 90's up to mid 00's or it's a different feel?

Filteria's two first albums

Khetzel

Artifakt 303

and that's it on my side.

Honoerable mention goes to Ufomatka (no album yet) but loving everything he released.

for the future of "new school" goa trance i can only wish for music with depth and new perspectives within the music.

I once wrote quite a harsh statement about new school goa trance, i think it's still on your discogs profile Joseph. It was the way i felt when i wrote it. By now the situation has changed in my opinion. Looking at the style from its beginning it's obvious that we have quite a lot of serious and good new school goa trance today. Excellent! :)

Another classic is Khetzal's.

Glad you mention this... Corolle one of the essential classics if you ask me!

also Mindsphere - Inner Cyclone (originally released in 2007 on Metapsychic Rec) needs to be mentioned!! (although the first version suffered "technically" the tracks were still awesome!)

The 1st one absolutely less, but since it's 2009 I have left it out, so far. Altough gosh it's already since friggin years ago. And taht is still IMO one of the very best neo goa comps.

• Like 1

Glad you mention this... Corolle one of the essential classics if you ask me!

also Mindsphere - Inner Cyclone (originally released in 2007 on Metapsychic Rec) needs to be mentioned!! (although the first version suffered "technically" the tracks were still awesome!)

Yeah i don't know why I haven't listed that. Yes I remember the frustration about mastering.