Old school-new school

Goa-Head

For the ones interested in the history of the new school movement... I wrote an article about it, in the original Opus Iridium booklet (not in the reprint!) :)

Of course there is a thin line between the new wave and the old wave... it never really died afterall. And well, the problem with names such as "old school" is indeed that cds of 5 years old now, are "old school" as well, although they are new school...

Conclusion: we are all nerds, focussing on details normal people even won't hear, héhé :P Maybe we can just call it goa-trance again? :)

Well yes when I started thread I looked at the cover of Opus Iridium because I remember that detailed booklet. Guess what, it's already 7 years ago so certainly no one would have called any new school as old school already.

In Belgium they are starting... i'm serious... I already saw a discussion:

"yes, but Apsara & Khetzal are good new school, they are more old school... you can hear it" so here we go :P

I felt old/odd when someone posted a "classic top 10" on Isratrance in 2011 and everyone there agreed. Most of the tracks were 2003-2006 with one 2001 thrown in. By 2005 or so I had already given up all hope, declared psy dead and switched to house. Never could have considered that as the "classic era". :D

But it's ten years in the past. Even people who hopped in by that time may feel like hardy psy veterans now. :mellow:

Conclusion: we are all nerds, focussing on details normal people even won't hear, héhé :P Maybe we can just call it goa-trance again? :)

Many "normal" people cannot discern house from ambientrance :D or don't appreciate music or listen to Beyonce, Cyrus etc.. very "normal"..

I felt old/odd when someone posted a "classic top 10" on Isratrance in 2011 and everyone there agreed. Most of the tracks were 2003-2006 with one 2001 thrown in. By 2005 or so I had already given up all hope, declared psy dead and switched to house. Never could have considered that as the "classic era". :D

But it's ten years in the past. Even people who hopped in by that time may feel like hardy psy veterans now. :mellow:

Well, i got hooked on the first era in my teenage, and i can't see 2004-2007 other than an effort, sometimes in the original spirit, other times divergent. I guess someone that began with the full-on rise will feel that as a golden period.

Of course we can, I won't speak for others but I never made the distinction Old/New school, just checking the year of the release is enough for me.

This distinction has always been useless for me, I know not everyone agree we had a similar discussion last year in another topic.

In the nineties, we had Astral projection, Cosmosis, Koxbox, X-dream, Darshan, they all sounded different yet it was called Goa trance and nothing else.