The most complex goa trrance was written by Etnica/Pleiadians

radi6404

i have to disagree. i don't see any randomness in the big blue or bird's lingva franca. it all just fits together.

the melodies in bird's lingva franca may seem random in isolation, but as a whole track one flows into the other. you need one of them to lead to the next and the climax wouldn't be climatic if the previous melodic lines weren't there in that fashion. imho that's great storytelling.

There's also another fact to consider and both of those tracks share cheesy melodies. As great as BLF is the melodies after 7:40 become really predictable and cheesy. Also from a purely audio design standpoint Maia runs circles on either track. Maia is flawless. It just needs a remaster.

In terms of layers, I think Filteria has to win in that category. In terms of musicality, there are many artists who have made more complex music, although that does not necessarily mean better. Pleiadians definitely had a very fascinating and well though out approach to melodic structures.

Agreed. And not everything-pleiadians was perfect either. It's just that certain tracks cross a fine threshold.

I think Radi gave us proper explanation, KoxBox shouldn't be labeled as Goa trance, no matter the fact they were one of the earliest artists in the genre and no matter the fact that Dragon Tales is considered to be one of the few Goa trance album which can be considered as essential. He's got right, it's psytrance and there is no progressive elements in their Goa trance (which are present in Astral Projection and Electric Universe, for example) and it shouldn't be labeled as 'real Goa trance' like Astral Projection and Electric Universe.

Now I will remove KoxBox's Dragon Tales from my Goa trance folder and place it into psytrance folder. Thank you Radi!

• Like 1

ou can wyou wt icchpa, but many people label Hhallucinogen - The Lone Deranger as psytrance instead of goa trance and the music on The Lone Deranger is more linear than the music on Dragon tales. In my opinion goa trance is more linear than psytrance and not as experimental. Psytrance is more experimental and that´s the reason why it can be labelled as such. Goa trance is more focused on melody and acid sounds, but if Dragon Tales is labeled goa trance, then I am the one who is wrong here it seems.

Now I will remove KoxBox's Dragon Tales from my Goa trance folder and place it into psytrance folder. Thank you Radi!

Yeah, I think the only reasonable thing to do is to sell my copy of Dragon Tales as I only collect goa cds...

• Like 3

I respect the opinion of Radi, simply just to remind him Goa trance has too many kinds like: dark ,uplifting, morning, twisted, experimental, tribal(spiritual), acidic, Goa tech, forest etc. Koxbox is more twisted psychedelic and complex than other Goa trance groups and artists .But is still Goa trance!!

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

I think it's a dead end sometimes to explain a few members here that Goa-trance is not only Etnica, Astral etc... It seem like they just got no clue or are too fixated on melodic goa-trance.

• Like 3

Must respect all opinions. But the truth is the melodic Goa trance influences is everywhere. Thats why all Nu school Goa based on this kind, and are clones of old Astral Projection Etnica, Transwave, M.F.G., M.W.N.N etc

It only mean that nowadays people in the scene has forgotten the roots of the scene when they only focus on melody.

Lets debate what trance is in its pure essence. usually a melody is not really that hypnotic unless it repeat a very basic pattern with very few or no changes in key etc. The essence of trance is therefore not melody but rhythm. A lot of melodic goa-trance is not very rhythmic based (except for simple 4/4 beat with some cycling hi-hats and a snare) as it concentrate mostly on layers after layers of melody and effects and voice samples instead of simple hypnotic rhythms that will guide the dancer into a state of "trance". Now I do not say melodic goa-trance is not Goa or less good. I just strongly believe the new and also the old wave of goa listeners has lost their way a little and forgot about diversity when it comes to goa and has been wrongly told that melodic is the right kind of goa-trance..

I am not out to tell people what to like but when people start to claim that certain founders of Goa (and yes also psy) are not Goa-trance because they have a very narrow view on goa-trance. Then I have to protest in the name of the history of Goa-trance :)

In the golden days of Goa-trance parties contained everything within the broad definition of Goa-trance...It had a beginning (slow chilled tunes) a night (faster darker music and even industrial) and morning with less fast "morning" trance that contained melodic, ethnic, tribal and everything in between.

I always played as a Dj or live after sunrise as I was considered a "morning" DJ/live-act with my certain ethnic, tribal (very much based on drumming) and yes also melodic goa....

my 2-4 cents

It only mean that nowadays people in the scene has forgotten the roots of the scene when they only focus on melody.

Lets debate what trance is in its pure essence. usually a melody is not really that hypnotic unless it repeat a very basic pattern with very few or no changes in key etc. The essence of trance is therefore not melody but rhythm. A lot of melodic goa-trance is not very rhythmic based (except for simple 4/4 beat with some cycling hi-hats and a snare) as it concentrate mostly on layers after layers of melody and effects and voice samples instead of simple hypnotic rhythms that will guide the dancer into a state of "trance". Now I do not say melodic goa-trance is not Goa or less good. I just strongly believe the new and also the old wave of goa listeners has lost their way a little and forgot about diversity when it comes to goa and has been wrongly told that melodic is the right kind of goa-trance..

I am not out to tell people what to like but when people start to claim that certain founders of Goa (and yes also psy) are not Goa-trance because they have a very narrow view on goa-trance. Then I have to protest in the name of the history of Goa-trance :)

In the golden days of Goa-trance parties contained everything within the broad definition of Goa-trance...It had a beginning (slow chilled tunes) a night (faster darker music and even industrial) and morning with less fast "morning" trance that contained melodic, ethnic, tribal and everything in between.

I always played as a Dj or live after sunrise as I was considered a "morning" DJ/live-act with my certain ethnic, tribal (very much based on drumming) and yes also melodic goa....

my 2-4 cents

Probably did not understand me. i say what happen today, not that i like. i would like to have something similar today with U,X, Slide, Darshan, Undercover, the infinity Project but there is no.

I think it's not fair to put all the newschool artists in the same basket of comparations with AP, MWNN, MFG, etc. I think there are artists and producers nowdays who are trying to build their own sound and style aswell. But I agree with you guys that most of the nowdays scene is based on the mentioned acts and it would be interesting to see more diversity.

I think it's not fair to put all the newschool artists in the same basket of comparations with AP, MWNN, MFG, etc. I think there are artists and producers nowdays who are trying to build their own sound and style aswell. But I agree with you guys that most of the nowdays scene is based on the mentioned acts and it would be interesting to see more diversity.

Agreed. I should have written "some" or maybe the majority :)

• Like 1

Exactly, for example Darshan - Awakening always was considered a Goa album, and it is. It sounds way different than MWNN or Etnica and thanks God not all goa trance sound the same.

I love the Infinity project and it is one of my favourite bands, but they are more linear in sound than Koxbox. Koxbox is not as linear as other goa trance acts and much mroe experimental. That is the reason why I thought it is psychedelic trance and not goa trance, even the old albums. Now people pointed out that Koxbox is goa trance aswell and I accept it. Not that someone gets me wrong: I do like Koxbox a lot, but I did not think it is goa trance, that is all. Besides that I do think that Boris Blenn, Astral, Etnica and MWNN are the absolute pioneers of goa trance and Koxbox is not on the same level.

oldschoolers used hardware 100%

new wave almost 100% softwares

so..music cant be the same

also one above said that the new wave is focuse only on melodies

not really ..i like to make my music very chaotic for ex

but majority ..yes ..they re focus on melodies and stuff

goa should sound very cold /raw / powerfull blah blah

these are the things that made me start writing music

pleiadians/bypass unit etc ..thats the real deal :)