Why is there nothing similar to old SFX?

radi6404

So when we look for similar tracks to one another we can find many of them from different artists. Astral projection sounds similar to Man with no name and Electric Universe, some even can be compared to MFG. The same applies to artists like Psychaos, Cosmosis, Genetic and many more. The old SFX style however is very unique in sound and noone has produced similar tracks. Tracks like Butterfly Trip, Hypnotica, and Celestial Groove have a unique sound which is very fresh and hypnotic. It is the most hypnotic goa trance sound I know and the sounds are also very atmospheric and fresh. ARe there any tracks with similar melodies or similar sounds? I love the fresh synthlines that are used on those tracks.

Why isn't there anything similar to Deviant Electronics?

OT: old SFX sounds more like old european trance music then goa music, so I'd suggest digging up some trance records instead of limiting yourself to the same pool of Goa artists...

That is such a generalisation. SFX doesn´t sound like european trance in particular because european trance uses supersaw synthpresets while SFX does not. The style of SFx is very unique and you can´t generalize it to be sounding like european trance. I don´t know any eurpean trance track that sounds like fX to be honest. SFX sounds very psychedelic and hynotic. Just because the scale of the melodies is not the typical scale used in goa trance doesn´t mean it sounds like european trance. Music is not only about scale and melodies.

https://soundcloud.com/arronax/mirza-aljic-butter-n-honey

I am not sure if this is what you're seeking but I tried something similar in this track. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Thats very nice! Sounds awfully alot like SFX! Good job!

@Radi

Dont get so defensive. He didnt say SFX sounds like eurotrance. He said it sounds MORE LIKE eurotrance than it does Goatrance. Which is true.

However I dont fully agree with the "euro" part. Eurotrance is alot cheesier and more club/pop than the style of trance that would fit SFX. (Alot of great eurotrance tracks, cheesy doesnt necessarily mean bad. Sometimes it scratches the itch just right)

Also. Supersaws are not very common in eurotrance. Those are more in general Trance and Progressive Trance.

OT:

I cant really think of anything that sounds like SFX.

Maybe something from Art of Trance is quite similar.

@Radi

Dont get so defensive. He didnt say SFX sounds like eurotrance. He said it sounds MORE LIKE eurotrance than it does Goatrance. Which is true.

However I dont fully agree with the "euro" part. Eurotrance is alot cheesier and more club/pop than the style of trance that would fit SFX. (Alot of great eurotrance tracks, cheesy doesnt necessarily mean bad. Sometimes it scratches the itch just right)

Also. Supersaws are not very common in eurotrance. Those are more in general Trance and Progressive Trance.

Thx for backing me up there! :)

To get more concrete, I was referring to old european mainstream trance, which obviously lack supersaw presets. Brilliant tracks like for example this one:

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1xLAex-bic

I see both mix very well with SFX.

^

Np :)

I love both of those tracks. I especially like the Paul Van Dyk remix of 1999, but 1998 is nice too.

The second track is indeed quite similar to SFX, good ear there :)

I wouldnt actually call those eurotrance though, but Progressive Trance. But the line is so thin its nothing to discuss :)

Those two tracks are very similar to SFX, do you know more tracks like that? They are very acidic and hypnotic just like SFX. They are not as complex as SFX but if there is nothing different I would like to have more recommendations of that stuff.

check out various Progressive Trance VAs from mid-late 90s.

For example:

Rave Mission vol 10-14

Trance Rapid vol 1, 2

Dream Zone vol 1-3

(and many more, but you get the gist)

Some of tracks included on such VAs will be bad, but occasionally there will be a hidden epic gem in there. Perhaps on your quest to find SFX-like tracks, you will find such gems.

I'm sure there was plenty of stuff made similar to SFX but it just never got as popular as goa trance so lots of releases have been lost over time. I might suggest checking out the old school acid station at DI.fm, also some of the early goa trance compilations from 94' or 95'. I think I totally understand the style of music you like Radi, because I too have a strong interest in that style.

Why isn't there anything similar to old Hux-Flux?

well, there's logic bomb obviously :)

I see both mix very well with SFX.

imho both (depite being further away from goa) are infinitely better than sfx.

the only sfx track i love is millennia, and that's because it sounds exactly like astral.

the rest mostly sounds like badly made music from the time peroid when "rave" transitioned to (techno and) trance. probably because the tracks were made in that time period ;)

the closest music i know is likely the 'trance dance 128' album by trilithon.

well, there's logic bomb obviously :)

imho both (depite being further away from goa) are infinitely better than sfx.

the only sfx track i love is millennia, and that's because it sounds exactly like astral.

the rest mostly sounds like badly made music from the time peroid when "rave" transitioned to (techno and) trance. probably because the tracks were made in that time period ;)

the closest music i know is likely the 'trance dance 128' album by trilithon.

Your subjective opinion about SFX is uncommon and wrong. While you can find the music bad or ordinary, you can´t label it badly made because that is just wrong. The music is very complex and has a lot of elements. It has many layers playing in the background. It has basslines with keychanges and it has musical elements that fit the tracks with great harmony. For example Celestial Groove is muaiscally more advanced than the simple eurotrance tracks liked here because the melodies harmonize with each other very well and make the track intersting and complex. Butterfly Trip and Hypnotica are also more complex than most goa tracks of 1994. The critics on this forum become harsher and harsher and I read phrases like badly made and similar more and more. In many cases those critics aren´t even justified because they are just wrong when looked at with a musical perspective. Musically the SFX tracks on Trust in Trance 2 aren´t bad and they are more advanced than the two tracks posted on this thread. This is the reason I suggest that you and others pay more attention about if what you say is musically true or not. There is a difference between personal opinion and facts about a song. You can say that you find SFX bad, but you can´t say that certain SFX tracks are badly made when they obviously aren´t badly made. The SFx tracks on Turst in Trance 2 are musically better than many goa trance songs with simple melodies and no harmony.

The music is very complex and has a lot of elements. It has many layers playing in the background. It has basslines with keychanges and it has musical elements that fit the tracks with great harmony. For example Celestial Groove is muaiscally more advanced than the simple eurotrance tracks liked here because the melodies harmonize with each other very well and make the track intersting and complex. Butterfly Trip and Hypnotica are also more complex than most goa tracks of 1994.

Musically the SFX tracks on Trust in Trance 2 aren´t bad and they are more advanced than the two tracks posted on this thread.

The SFx tracks on Turst in Trance 2 are musically better than many goa trance songs with simple melodies and no harmony.

I agree with this. I love those tracks by SFX and they are indeed more advanced than the two tracks posted in this thread.

I dont think SFX tracks are badly made at all.

Why isn't there anything similar to old Hux-Flux?

I was saying the same thing to my flatmate a few days ago. Why didn't Cryptic Crunch spawn a bunch of clones?

I dont know about that. The Delta, Manmademan and Psychaos has quite a few tracks in very similar style.

Can you give some examples?

Can you give some examples?

Here are some with elements that are quite similar to old hux flux. Granted, its not got the same crunchy bubbly sound, but some come close..

Manmademan - Elevator

Manmademan - conscious creators

manmademan - lightcraft

The Delta - Traveling at the speed of thought

psychaos - mad lane

psychaos - spinner

miraculix - stop them

I know there are a couple of more by these artists, at least the delta, but I cannot remember their names.

:blink::unsure::mellow::huh::o<_<-_-:wub:;):lol:

?