Neogoa. Why?

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

Hi all :)

I am really curious why the term or name "Neo" has found it's way into the Goatrance scene with the new-breed of artist releases. Why not just call it Goatrance? Personally I do not like or understand the use of the name Neogoa and think it divide more than it unite as it divide new from old. You do not see Techno being called Neo-Techno or House being called Neo-House or psytrance being called Neo-psytrance. To me Goatrance is Goatrance. Simple as that.

Please debate this. I am curious to hear your takes on the term/name.

I think there was a period when goatrance was dead. The resurgence was brought about in 2004? so the term neo goa implying modern production . i could be wrong though

Different genres use different naming, instead of 'neo' the term 'nu' or 'nuskool'/'newschool' is used, sometimes 'post'. I find the term 'neogoa' adequate since for about half of a decade there was a gap between two waves and the first sounded a bit different than the second.

There are the historical reasons...

I think there was a period when goatrance was dead. The resurgence was brought about in 2004? so the term neo goa implying modern production .

and for me the newschool goa trance sound feels different than the oldschool sound. I prefer to have the freshly produced goa trance in the "newschool goa" drawer and the original old goa in the "oldschool goa" drawer for myself. Of course both styles are "goa trance", but to me, personally, the differentiation into newschool and oldschool usually feels better than lumping both together into "goa trance", when I talk about it.

I never kinda got the terms "neo" or "new skool".
Like stated above, "it's all Goa trance".
I wonder where the "new skool" comes from: structures, melodies,... are all still in the same range, like made in in the past. Not saying the soundscapes or technology (for masterering for example) didn't evolve ;)

Did the test several times at parties, let "old skool freaks" say if a track is old or new skool:

Most people not always hear the diffrence, even attending several years goa trance parties.

Not saying you never hear a diffrence, cause of production diffrences etc,...

Plus, they just want to hear Goa, old or newer made :)

And Goa wasn't dead, never :P Check these releases, they all are Goa or psychedelic trance (style '98 -'99, to use a date), from 2000 -> 2004

Some of the examples (random order):
1) MFG - the message
2) Ypsilon 5 - Binary Sky
3) Anoid ‎– Stardancer / Transvestites From Hell
4) Various ‎– Blissful Moments
5) Ethereal ‎– Anima Mundi
6) Chi-A.D. ‎– Infinitism
7) Various ‎– Out Of Orion - Volume I
8) Various ‎– Destination Goa - The Ninth Chapter- DG9
9) Space Buddha ‎– Eternity Project
10) Digital Karma ‎– Hyper Sound
11) Various ‎– Pure Planet
12) Various ‎– 100% Goa
13) Hunab Ku ‎– Magik Universe
14) Imperial Project ‎– Remote Viewing
15) Imperial Project ‎– Vimana
16) Imperial Project ‎– Gaia Spirits
17) Various ‎– Goa Syndrome
18) Various ‎– Goa Syndrome 2
19) Various ‎– Goa Syndrome 3
20) Various ‎– Actetic Acid
21) Various ‎– Planet-Goa Vol. IV
22) Man With No Name ‎– Teleportation
23) Various ‎– Didgeridoo Trance Dance
24) Summamutikka ‎– Umpimähkä
25) Double Dragon ‎– Continuum
26) Cosmosis ‎– Intergalactic
27) Phi ‎– Phinalize

28) Various - Single Cell

29) Quadra - Digital Stimulant

30) Various - Origians

31) Various - Psychedelic Sound Of Ibiza - Trance Cmpilataion Vol.1

32) Deedrah - Reload

...Stopping here, there is more, but the rest you can see yourself on discogs :P

Not to mention the many bootleggs made between 2000 & 2004, with all "old" goa pressed on CDr + the re-issues in those years from older albums, like from Ra, Dimension 5, Electron wave, Etnica, Total Eclipse, The Infinity Project, INDOOR,... .

So I think the Goa scene was pretty much a live and there was a need for goa, but not releasing as much as the years before?!

Maybe cause the "bigger" labels didn't see any more money or broad commercial succes in it?

Plus, not to mention artists like Sneila, Portamento, Artha,...& many more (sorry I forget your names) that produced Goa in that age, but (almost) not got released.

And just dropped Goa online for free on mp3 sites.

Also, 2 collegues of mine made several (underground) parties in that period (2000 -> 2004). So I think Goa became smaller, more underground (again), but....

never kinda died (imho): thank God!!! :lol:

Yeah I used the neo term but it actually killed the music for me, it seemed to make it less enjoyable when I used that term. I now call it the new generation of Goa. Mostly I just refer to it as trance music. I mean I enjoy all facets of trance but this style most of all.

For me it is all goa-trance too, I never use the words new/old school when I play or write about it :) It's all goa-trance, some with more modern production :P

+1

If you look at Isratrance, the "neogoa" phrase was first used on April 3rd 2004. Back then only Kagdila was still releasing Goatrance. The term has been very scarcely used on Isratrance since (like 4 or 5 times in 10 years).

If you look on the Psynews database, the term "neogoa" appeared first on June 13th 2005 here and the guys who used it the most are (by far) Cosmogenesis (ex-Metapsychic Records), The Journey Man Project (some guy in Goa if I remember correctly), one memeber of Aerosis, and Lost Buddha (also ex-Metapsychic). There's 950 posts with the phrase over 10 years !!!

So it looks like the Metapsychic Records guys took a big part in making the term broadly used, followed by some individuals that were involved in the movement itself. I'm not surprised it's them, because I knew for sure it wasn't Suntrip.

After that I remember hearing it a lot in Belgium where people have always stayed very informed on Goa music and kept inviting Goa acts...and it spread more like that.

And Goa wasn't dead, never :P Check these releases, they all are Goa or psychedelic trance (style '98 -'99, to use a date), from 2000 -> 2004

Maybe not dead, but for some people it was at least in a coma and it took the effort in finding appropriate tunes. It was like entering the room where yesterday was a party and now there are only few beer bottles left and people sleeping on a couch (plus few uninvited guys dancing to their own music ;) ).

Mars, You wrote quite serious post, like the term 'neogoa' was some kind of disease or stigmata and we should cure it or at least be ashame of it. I sometimes use the term as a mental shortcut describing stuff from second wave producers and don't feel any amount of bad vibe, to me it's neutral. It goes both ways as you can sometimes see the term 'classic goa' describing music from the 90's. At least it's not like 'funky house' describing something different after ten years.

If we can (or will) have 'hi-tech forest darkpsystep', why not neogoa? ;)

Having said the above, I agree it's all goa at the bottom.

After that I remember hearing it a lot in Belgium where people have always stayed very informed on Goa music and kept inviting Goa acts...and it spread more like that.

Until a year or two ago, at least... now, apart from Suntrip, I can't count 5 belgian organisations booking new goa acts any longer (this used to be totally different!)... :(

Mars, You wrote quite serious post, like the term 'neogoa' was some kind of disease or stigmata and we should cure it or at least be ashame of it.

What are you on? I neither meant, nor wrote anything like that !

• Like 1

Until a year or two ago, at least... now, apart from Suntrip, I can't count 5 belgian organisations booking new goa acts any longer (this used to be totally different!)... :(

Yes. I'm talking about 2005-2011.

• Like 1

What are you on? I neither meant, nor wrote anything like that !

I definitely read too much from Your research post and the phrase I'm not surprised it's them, because I knew for sure it wasn't Suntrip. My mind has added some emotional tone while reading the post it and I misunderstood You, sorry if I You felt offended.

So you are saying " we Belgians rock"?! :lol:

Well, there is a "date-stigma" on newer made goatrance. I I still do not get why.

The Goa made today can surelly match the old (not all). Also "not all old is gold". ;)

So when regurally talking about Goa with folks, there are enough people who say "before 2000 it was (all) good 'n afther it is (all) bad". This wwithout any further argument than the period it has been produced: very wierd!

So that's why I wrote in my former post I make a sport out of it to let'm listen one old and one new track and let'm hear the diffrence : many can't or get it wrong: this helps breaking this "date-stigma".

Still, that stigma makes also organisers look for more "older goa" (like most big festival for example - hyped music = costumers = money). When they book goa it's mainly older goa, less newer).

BUT there are festivals (finally) looking to the newer goa too (you know who you are), and that's wonderfull! :wub:

Slowly we prove that they can't ignore newer made Goa at all, and acts of this era get booked more and more...but it takes energy.

But if you get booked the satisfaction is tremendous :P

It's quite an useful/"good sounding" term and I like to use it. The modern day goa has different production values and the sound texture is different because analog -> digital.

It's quite an useful/"good sounding" term and I like to use it. The modern day goa has different production values and the sound texture is different because analog -> digital.

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken not all synths in the '90s where analog and not all artists worked 100% analog in that period. Or am I so wrong?

So that's why I think the term, based on that argument, "neo" isn't that valid (just my own opinion here).

If you talk about mastereing technology, that we have a deal, or the (extra) software used today :)

Also music is maybe diffrent produced, but I would never say in the '90s most was done all analog.

Probably used more analog that electric synths...agreed.

But I know enough artists that use both synths nowadays, like in the '90s (so what's "neo" Neo :P ).

Any how: In my opinion all semantics. Good music stays good music.

I don't see a real point in deviding the Goa trance into "new skool" & "old skool": Makes the time-stigma too much a live & valid again as a value meter of the music itself.

Like old is always better than new. I like both :D

So in some peoples opinion here all new goatrance should be referred to as Neogoa because its new? I find that strange. There will be quite a lot of releases in 2014/15 made by old-timers going back to their roots. Should they also call it Neogoa just because its new releases? I for one wont do that. I will call it what it is. Goatrance :)

As I wrote in my first post. I find these terms dividing the goatrance scene rather than unite it. But maybe that's just me :)

So in some peoples opinion here all new goatrance should be referred to as Neogoa because its new? I find that strange. There will be quite a lot of releases in 2014/15 made by old-timers going back to their roots. Should they also call it Neogoa just because its new releases? I for one wont do that. I will call it what it is. Goatrance :)

As I wrote in my first post. I find these terms dividing the goatrance scene rather than unite it. But maybe that's just me :)

It's not black-white relationship, there is grey area in the middle and each goa trance addict who follows this music got vivid view towards the difference. You guys are acting like we're discussing something that isn't goa trance, of course it's goa trance, it's not gabber or house. It's like you say, ok, i don't listen to black metal or power metal, I listen to metal. That is so ridicilous, people are aware that all things we're disscussing here are goa trance, but some factors such as the production, the time-period, the tools gives 120% right to call it neogoa or newschool goa and it's not a term that each artist or listener should accept or use it, not at all, there is a lot of artists nowdays who are doing oldschool goa trance. It is goa and it got oldschool as a prefix to make stronger definition of the sound, just like neogoa. I think that term 'neo' is self-exlpanational, it's a symbol for something new and fresh and i don't see any problem with the term or nonsense like dividing the scene.

Afaik, this scene seems more united than ever before, artists who are doing collaborations or paying a tribute to each other (AND RELEASING IT), labels who are exchanging informations and advices, graphic artists who are contributing and the solid base of people who are following their favorite artists/labels. That is a fact and that harmony isn't there just because people disscused how will they call the music, but because they decided to spend their time giving their best to promote the music and the artists, not wasting time about the suitable name for the music. It's goa trance, it's not polka.

Richpa what you call nonsense I call my opinion! Let's just agree to disagree. To me the name Neogoa will always have a weird and wrong tone to it.

This is why I prefer to call the genre "604".

When one say 604, you can't split it between oldschool and newschool. It's beyond any datation.

Saying "604" is also convenient, because this secret spelling of Goa prevents any confusion between real Goa Trance and the psychedelic subgenres (since they are psy-heads who use the Goa appellation for nearly everything, from psycore to progressive, and because there are some places - like Switzerland - where "Goa Trance" means as well psychedelia as a whole.)

(since they are psy-heads who use the Goa appellation for nearly everything, from psycore to progressive, and because there are some places - like Switzerland - where "Goa Trance" means as well psychedelia as a whole.)

That should be forbidden by law. I hate when people use GOA just for commercial purpose and give wrong idea and informations to new people and people that are not involved in scene at all.

I saw some releases marked as NEOGOA and they are just commercial proggy crap or even regular trance <_<