Revival or regression?

GagaISM

It seems an artist just can't win. When Goa died everyone was crying about minimal and how they wanted real Goa trance back again... that sounded like Pleiadians and Etnica. An artist is influenced by them and references them so that people understand there is an artist who feels like we do, and makes the melodic Goa he wants to make and now people are crying about how he's ripping off their sound, or crying about how he's not ripping off their sound but ripping off their name, or crying about how he's not ripping off their sound well enough. People should have some fucking respect.

This was a post that really made me think. I can't comment on Filteria and "Neogoa", but where do you draw the line between ripping off and expanding upon your influences?

This was a post that really made me think. I can't comment on Filteria and "Neogoa", but where do you draw the line between ripping off and expanding upon your influences?

If you write the exact same track... thats a ripoff xD

I never got why ppl said that Filteria sounds like Etnica/Pleiadians. He's influenced by their sound for sure, but he has his own unique style.

+1

I never got why ppl said that Filteria sounds like Etnica/Pleiadians. He's influenced by their sound for sure, but he has his own unique style.

Completely. Maybe there was a similar super-utopic-melody-all-the-way feeling in Sky Input but the production was completely different and this was 9 years ago.

Well for the first example given.. Filteria definately sounds like Filteria. He has way more going on in one song than Etinca did.

The question at hand is a good one though. I want every artist to sound uniquely different to warrant my purchase, but more importantly, my satisfaction while listening. When I hear something sound too much the same, it goes in one ear and out the other. The 7-8 minute track goes by and I'm like, "what?" I zone out and never notice the music. Happens a lot to me. Even if the track is really intense. Goa or Psy. Artists - Please find your own way to funk the music, to funk us in return. Thank you. ^_^

In my opinion if an artist is superb there can be tracks similar to it, because there are by far not enough tracks in one style. Not enough Astral Projection tracks, not enough MFG tracks, not enough hallucinogen tracks, not enough Blue Planet corp tracks, not enough psychaos tracks, not enough Ayahasca tracks and so on. So jsut sounding different because some people want taht is not important. If you want to sound similar to one artist than do it, it is great to have several artists sounding really similar.

What I'd like to question is the idea of revivals in general. Isn't Goa something that, just like so many other things, HAS happened?

Goa is something that Has happened yeah.. Ask anyone who was around then they all say the same things...

However, neo goa is a thing that is happening now in just the same way.. Well maybe to a lesser extent.

I don't like to think of it as a revival or anything, just as its own unique entity and I'm glad to be around to experience it :)

ibb6C1vxid1Dsx.gif

If you try to piss me off with that gif, it wont work. I have my opinion like everyone else, if I want more of the same music it is my opinion and it is a fine opinion like everyone's else`s opinion. So you can spare your shitty gif pictures.

What K-BAN baba said in his 2nd paragraph.

haha! making me laugh. I like laughing ;p

What I'd like to question is the idea of revivals in general. Isn't Goa something that, just like so many other things, HAS happened?

Yes. The attitude behind the music then was different. A revival wasn't happening, but a new movement. The artists, just..WERE. 8)

here is a snippet to a post of mine in the ID 50 psy tracks thread I made. Part of my reply to psy sounding the same.

"I would say it is easier for psy to sound the same because its as if a structure had to be the set 'this is how you make psytrance" when the early goa days, with the scene being smaller, the artists just... did it"

I had the same meaning behind that. The goa music now only exists because of the old. Inspiration drawn from it, being different than just a part of it during the origins. Whether trying to mock it or really create your own within the same universe. I guess you'd have to ask each new school artist on that. Most of us here appear to like the new wave. I'm partially keen on it but only a little so, no hiding that. It's totally cool! Some of us get more from it than others and that's just how it is.

Above all, lets be positive about it. Quality music is still all around us. ^_-

I enjoy the dense layering of old Goa; it doesn't all have to be hyper-melodic victory trance, though. Some of the old stuff was almost like drone music in the way that the synths were deployed, very harmonic and rhythmic as opposed to melodic. I miss that kind of sound.

Also, I like what Chi A.D. had to say back in 1998 when Goa was moving away from being, well, Goa. Paraphrasing from memory:

"If you look at house, techno, drum and bass, no change. Yet we are told for some reason that Goa trance is stale and needs to change. Musical genres don't die because there is always a new supply of people to listen to them, which is why people still dance to Strauss waltzes. It isn't the music that needs to change, but the presentation and the marketing."

thing is quite simple for me (a few other things also make a difference, but let's skip long posts) :

personally, in the 80percent of psy/goa tracks that i really like, there is a memorable melody!

neo goa has shrinked this percentage to a total of 5-10percent.

change that, and i'll be a hardcore listener!!! :P:D

I dont understand the need for people to compare the two . True neogoa is more closely related to old school so a need for micro analyzing the two and decide who the winner is but not like psytrance post 2k didnt draw in its own insignificant way from oldschool goa, infact minimal /full on darkspy wouldnt have come into existence if it wernt for oldschool goa which led the way. so why dont we whine about psytrance the same way we whine about neogoa being a rip off the oldschool? its all a part of what we call psychedelic trance innit ? Yes some got inspired by industrial and some by more commercial genres but the entire psytrance movement was spawned because of Goa-trance pre 2k. So i dont understand why there is a need to call it revival or regression , its an entity on its own like some one said above, or what i would call a "continuation" . Infact i would say that the psychedelic electronic genre is now heading in the right direction after the U-turn that happened with all the subgenres that tried to continue the magic but somehow lost their way or couldnt keep the orginal oldschool fans engaged enough. Its better we dont blame new school artist for copying or getting inspired by what was the original movement. Fans should be happy that some one is keeping the flag flying high even if its done in a somewhat different style , the intention and essence remains the same.