Heavy metal.

exotic

As for prog metal, the go-to is really Opeth. Their earlier stuff has some screaming, but it's phenomenal music.

Mastodon does some interesting stuff. Their newer music has much less screaming than the first couple albums.

Not really much in the way of synths though. I don't listen much to that kind of metal. The only thing that comes to my mind immediately for metal with synths is Children of Bodom. They're kind of hit and miss, and their synths are definitely not 'swirling'. They put on a fun show though!

Not much with synths. Fear Factory are not prog but they do have some great industrial and almost trance like sounds on their Demanufacture album. Most synths are overly cheesey and found more in th epower metal scene. It's fune if you want some light hearted tunes about battling dragons or drinking too much on a Saturday night. I can tell you now that unless it's industrial metal, synths are still pretty heavily frowned upon in the scene. hence why in the mix down and mastering phases any synths are usually puhed to the bottom of the mix. Even live musician on horns & strings are often lost in the mix. Behemoth are prime idiot examples for this. Such wonderfully complex music they make but no respect for their mix down. Sad really as it would add much more depth to their music.

Actually I do know a band looking for some great synth work to be added to their music. Was kind of wondering if any Goa acts would be keen to give it a try as the bad have so far loved the Timewarp & Sita CDs when I have them playing in the studio between recording sessions.

I never had a metal phase unlike other (pre)teens in my days. Some of these sound quite nice though, until the singing starts :P

Any recommendations for instrumental prog metal with spiraling synth lines, like a metal version of Ozric Tentacles or Hidria Spacefolk?

technical death metal.

Couldn't agree more. Technical death metal got some of the most amazing bands, especially if you appriciate the complex music.

Btw, I smell Opeth in this track :D :D :D

• 5 weeks later...

What a wonderful finding Cormorant is.... I can't express how much I'm amazed with this band.

Country of origin: United States Location: San Rafael, California Status: Active Formed in: 2007 Genre: Melodic Death Metal (early), Progressive Folk/Black Metal (later) Lyrical themes: Surrealism, Mythology, History, Nature, Politics Current label: Unsigned/independent Years active: 2007-present
"Cormorant" is a contraction derived from Latin 'Corvus Marinus', meaning "sea raven".
DISCOGRAPHY:

CD-R Demo Demo 2007 The Last Tree EP 2007 8 (80%) Metazoa Full-length 2009 5 (97%) Dwellings Full-length 2011 5 (86%) Earth Diver Full-length 2014

Metazoa is just masterpiece of progressive music.

Another great finding for fans of good old psychedelic rock and progressive metal.

Hail Spirit Noir was founded in the dawn of 2010 by Haris and Theoharis, also members of the avant-garde/symphonic combo Transcending Bizarre? and the prog band Rex Mundi. Having already spent a year and a half on composing new material, the two masterminds of the band gathered a troupe of competent musicians in the foothills of legendary mount Olympus, at Lunatech Studios, to record their debut album. After severe experimentation and non-stop recording sessions, the result was an amalgam of psychedelic elements, horror atmosphere and modern day black metal. Towards the end of 2011, the band joined forces with Code666/Aural music for a worldwide release of the debut album “Pneuma” in the spring of 2012.

• Country of origin: Greece
  • Formed in:2010
  • Genre:Progressive/Psychedelic Rock/Black Metal
  • Lyrical themes: Dark Side of Humanity, Occult, Satanism, Philosophy
  • Years active: 2010-present
  • Discography:

Hail-Spirit-Noir-Oi-Magoi.jpg

Hail-Spirit-Noir-Pneuma-e1330710133282.j

Both albums are equally great!

Pelican I like... trying to get myself to buy more slow grinding groovy funky metal that is to be played at head exploding volume

Saw a Tool, here the H... very good indeed

• Like 1

It's like Shpongle of black metal but with better flute sounds and clean vocals. Really interesting and organic black metal finding...

A FOREST OF STARS

A+Forest+of+Stars+AFOS_ASFY_BandPhotoB.j

A Forest of Stars are a black metal band with elements of folk and psychedelic rock from Yorkshire, England. The band is known for its Victorian aesthetic and bizarre, otherworldly lyrics and have released two albums since their 2008 debut The Corpse of Rebirth: 2010’s Opportunistic Thieves of Spring and 2012’s A Shadowplay For Yesterdays.

• Country of origin: United Kingdom
  • Formed in: 2007
  • Genre: Psychedelic Black Metal
  • Lyrical themes: Philosophy, Abstract Themes, Nature
  • Current label: Lupus Lounge

Years active: 2007-present

Discography:

The Corpse of Rebirth

The+Corpse+of+Rebirth+original+cover+lim

Full-length 2008 4 (69%)

Opportunistic Thieves of Spring

Opportunistic+Thieves+of+Spring.jpg

Full-length 2010 3 (84%)

A Shadowplay for Yesterdays

A+Shadowplay+for+Yesterdays+a_forest_of_

Full-length 2012 6 (88%)

Oriental scales might be interesting to people who like middle-eastern melodies :)

MELECHESH

Melechesh is an Assyrian black metal band that originated in Jerusalem. Ashmedi started the band as a solo project in 1993. In the following year, guitarist Moloch and drummer Lord Curse were added to the line-up. The band’s goal was to create a type of black metal incorporating extensive Middle Eastern influences mainly based on Assyrian (Mesopotamian) and occult themes (both musically and lyrically); the band invented the title "Assyrian metal" to best describe their type of metal.

Problems between Melechesh and the strictly religious people in Jerusalem, as well as professional and personal reasons, encouraged the band to relocate with members going to The Netherlands where they could continue work without the hassle from religious authorities. Since the drummer could not move they found a replacement with Proscriptor from Absu, who was then been replaced by Dutch drummer Xul. Xul was fired in 2013.

tumblr_inline_mmxyrfvi8Q1qz4rgp.jpg

• Country of origin: Israel
  • Formed in: 1993
  • Genre: Black/Death/Middle Eastern Folk Metal
  • Lyrical themes: Mesopotamian/Sumerian mythology
  • Current label: Nuclear Blast
Years active: 1993-present

Pronounced as "Meh-leh-hesh". Melechesh means "King of Fire" in Hebrew.

''downtempo Melechesh''

''uptempo Melechesh''

Discography:

As Jerusalem Burns...Al'Intisar

As+Jerusalem+BurnsAlIntisar+cover.jpg

Full-length 1996 2 (73%)

Djinn

Djinn.jpg

Full-length 2001 4 (79%)

Sphynx

Sphynx.jpg

Full-length 2003 7 (94%)

Emissaries

Emissaries.jpg

Full-length 2006 3 (92%)

The Epigenesis

The+Epigenesis+1417x1417+PNG+format.png

Full-length 2010 6 (93%)

It's like Shpongle of black metal but with better flute sounds and clean vocals. Really interesting and organic black metal finding...

A FOREST OF STARS

A+Forest+of+Stars+AFOS_ASFY_BandPhotoB.j

• Country of origin: United Kingdom
  • Formed in: 2007
  • Genre: Psychedelic Black Metal
  • Lyrical themes: Philosophy, Abstract Themes, Nature
  • Current label: Lupus Lounge
Years active: 2007-present

Discography:

The Corpse of Rebirth

The+Corpse+of+Rebirth+original+cover+lim

Full-length 2008 4 (69%)

Opportunistic Thieves of Spring

Opportunistic+Thieves+of+Spring.jpg

Full-length 2010 3 (84%)

A Shadowplay for Yesterdays

A+Shadowplay+for+Yesterdays+a_forest_of_

Full-length 2012 6 (88%)

Ho9w come i have never heard of these guys? Lived in Yorkshire all my life too!

colossal.

Wolves In The Throne Room - I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots

The torment has ended
the beast has done his work
Great fires rage outside of this wooded sanctuary

But soon they will be quenched by a purifying rain
the embers of the ceremonial fire burn to ash

A new warmth stirs within the center of the earth
I am alone here no more

The wood is filled with the sounds of wildness
The songs of birds fill the forest on this new morning
This will be my new home
Deep within the most sacred grove
the sun god is born anew

I will lay down my bones among the rocks and roots of the deepest
hollow next to the streambed
The quiet hum of the earth's dreaming is my new song

When I awake, the world will be born anew

• 2 weeks later...

Mixing metal music can be fun.

Richpa - Deathcore mixtape '14

Extreme music with a bunch of bassdrops, down-tuned guitars and breakdowns (20 bands & 60 minutes of aural madness mixed into one track). I decided to re-upload this one with new 'mastering' (some tracks were in horrible quality so, this time sound should be okay-ish). You can test your woofers here: https://db.tt/xA3eyW8W

10534071_264158607106113_117641116289596

Mixing metal music can be fun.

Richpa - Deathcore mixtape '14

Extreme music with a bunch of bassdrops, down-tuned guitars and breakdowns (20 bands & 60 minutes of aural madness mixed into one track). I decided to re-upload this one with new 'mastering' (some tracks were in horrible quality so, this time sound should be okay-ish). You can test your woofers here: https://db.tt/xA3eyW8W

10534071_264158607106113_117641116289596

nice one richy

makes me want to sacrifice your friends there to the master!!

got a kris knife by any chance??