Olympics 2012

needle ninja

I watched the opening ceremony. I doubt I'll watch any of the events.

The only thing I liked about the opening ceremony was the parade of athletes, always the best part IMHO.

Saw the women's road bike race today. We had terrible luck with a crash and a flat tire.

I liked the fist part of the opening ceremony, but it went off the boil after that IMHO.

I'm a keen mountainbiker - so will be watching the MTB XC racing and enjoyed the road racing too. Will watch the time trials and possibly some track cycling.

Mostly (other than cycling) I tend to find the more obscure sports interesting - like shooting & archery, but must admit, have also been amazed by the awesome gymnastic displays!

I think it's always great to see someone perform, right at the top of their game. The human body (and mind) is an incredible thing.

Missed the opening ceremony. Have to YouTube it I guess. But London is in a tough spot...with the recession in full swing and countries going bankrupt, how do justify throwing money down the dumper in an attempt to top Beijing?

As far as the events, I've watched some. Just not feelin' it this time though. I find all the controversies way more interesting.

Mdk

Missed the opening ceremony. Have to YouTube it I guess. But London is in a tough spot...with the recession in full swing and countries going bankrupt, how do justify throwing money down the dumper in an attempt to top Beijing?

As far as the events, I've watched some. Just not feelin' it this time though. I find all the controversies way more interesting.

Mdk

Hosting the Olympics is important to put a city on the map. Not that London wasn's there, but the last 3 decades London generated (almost) only bad news: recession, unemployment and crime. Now with the city showing herself to the world as beautifully as she doing now, London will attract more tourists for starts, and in the long run, investiments. In Brazil the biggest three TV channels are showing how London is outside the Olympic venue. Only yesterday they aired a special about a gallery called The Foundry and how London underground arts scene is thriving. The other channel paid a tribute to London architecture, I doubt London would get such massive free advertisement to 180 million Brazilians in she was not hosting the games. I myself now see London with different eyes, and I want to visit UK in the future.

Back to the topic, I am watching as many sports as I can. I think they are refreshing somehow, I don't know why.

Thankfully, the organisers didn't try to top Beijing - that would have been a losing proposition from the get-go. They went for an altogether more quaint kind of thing. The CSM's review summed it up pretty well:

Supposedly, it was London’s bad fortune to be the next Summer Olympics host after Beijing. Who, after all, could top that opening ceremony?

Instead, London offered China – and the rest of the world – a lesson.

Superpower? Been there, done that.

In an opening act rare among those in the history of Olympic opening ceremonies, the London organizers did something extraordinary: They were honest.

What other nation, in a moment of national glory that politicians pay billions of dollars to win, would allow such a view of their own country to be broadcast to the world?

One that has been there, done that, and no longer has anything to prove to anyone.

In a night that crackled with British music, literature, and humor – yes, that was the actual queen with 007 – it was an opening act about the Industrial Revolution that made this night as memorable as the one in Beijing four years ago.

Not for the pyrotechnics, which were impressive but not to be compared to Beijing, but for a story that dared to be heartbreaking – that invited the viewer to consider how the Industrial Revolution that began in English mills rippled out to change the English countryside, the world economy, and the human condition.

I watched a lot of sports this past week: tennis, volleyball, soccer, diving, water polo, gymnastics, athlestism and then some. I feel fascinated by all of them, I know this because I can't stop watching a match or a race until it's over. The only sports that does not catch my eyes is basketball. Right now I am taking part in a forum where Americans are enraged by the two World Records broken by the Chinese swimmers by more than 1.5 seconds - an eternity in swimming. Some are saying that there's some sort of concealed doping involved, I tend to agree with them.

Hahha.. yeah I heard about that.. She improved her own personal best by 4 seconds or so in 1 year... lol

Been enjoying the Olympics so far... and so far Denmark is smashing the other Scandinavian countries in the medal-competition... fuck yeah! :P

Yesterday we were in a mall shopping and everybody was in front of TVs watching Brazil vs Russia playing the women's volleyball quarterfinals. A huge crowd, everybody shouting everytime Brazil saved the Russian's matchpoints (five). Then everybody was shouting and jumping when Brazil made two consecutive points and won the game. Magic.

Eh, I bet it would be the same if it was USA vs Brasil, outside of USA at least :D:P

Nobody loves USA and Russia in Olympics :lol:

Well, Canadians surely hate USA after the imbroglio in the soccer quarterfinal match. I have Canadian friends who get red everytime they talk about the match, LOL.

Hahha.. yeah I heard about that.. She improved her own personal best by 4 seconds or so in 1 year... lol

Been enjoying the Olympics so far... and so far Denmark is smashing the other Scandinavian countries in the medal-competition... fuck yeah! :P

We smashed you in handball tho :P

I hope we score in beach volley and get the bronze, nobody expected it from them, but they have only begun to kick some arses, so good things ahead in next Olympics/championships.

I also hope we get gold or silver in bmx, thats a must given Štrombergs kicks ass as usual :D!

Well, thats about it, 2 medals max, thats +/- how its every time for us anyway.

Congrats on your victory, but we actually smashed them (-11).

:ph34r:

Yeah that was a proper beating... the Danish team has been playing pretty shitty in this tournament, especially considering they just won the European championship last winter.