Psytrance RIP 2012?

Time_Trap

Psytrance is alive and kicking, if you take your time to search for interesting stuff. I can recommend the new Talpa album. Melodic and psychedelic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er2G5c_Dt4Q

Last weekend I went to party where Khetzal and Crossing Mind played. Khetzal didn't play anything new but Crossing Mind has a new album that will come out this year and I have to say his live was the most amazing Goa I have heard in years. It was so mindblowing I can't even remember when I last heard stuff at a party (and to be honest I also haven't heard an album like that in years). With stuff like that coming out (even if it's only one album) psy/goa can't be dead at all...

Freq will also deliver a new album. There are short samples of the tracks at soundcloud. Sounds also amazing imho.

Psytrance is alive and kicking, if you take your time to search for interesting stuff. I can recommend the new Talpa album. Melodic and psychedelic.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=er2G5c_Dt4Q

Last weekend I went to party where Khetzal and Crossing Mind played. Khetzal didn't play anything new but Crossing Mind has a new album that will come out this year and I have to say his live was the most amazing Goa I have heard in years. It was so mindblowing I can't even remember when I last heard stuff at a party (and to be honest I also haven't heard an album like that in years). With stuff like that coming out (even if it's only one album) psy/goa can't be dead at all...

Freq will also deliver a new album. There are short samples of the tracks at soundcloud. Sounds also amazing imho.

nice one tats!

loving that talpa track

not dead by a mile!

Procyon, not exclusively, any kind of psy.

Well Richpa has the best taste so far IMO and Innerspace was the best track (IMO again,needless to say).

All in all in these thread out of 9 tracks, *NONE* was innovative, only 2-3 were above average, 1-2 significantly above average and the rest range from awful to mediocre or decent at best, as expected.

If we also take into account that psynews members generally have better taste than your average joe the Signal-to-Noise / Diamonds-To-Shit ratio of the psyscene nowadays is even lower.

Music is what you make of it IMHO. The scene has not been very innovative for a number of years, but that does not mean it is dead or dying. Every music style goes with period of stagnation. Pop has been this way sine the early 00's, heavy metal was for the second half of the 90's & first half of of the 00's and I'm sure many other style also. But Drum n Bass is making a pretty strong comeback as it the harder techno styles and heavy/extreme metal has come in leaps n bounds in the last 2-3 years.

I am sure something will eventually happen in this scene, but there is quality progressive, forest and chiilout which while not always innovative it is pleasing to my ears and I manage to find betwen 15-30 CDs in this scene a year that I am happy to spend on which is more than any other genre of music (except maybe progressive house & techno a la Balance Music series & Digweed style).

End rant :P

Procyon, not exclusively, any kind of psy.

Well Richpa has the best taste so far IMO and Innerspace was the best track (IMO again,needless to say).

All in all in these thread out of 9 tracks, *NONE* was innovative, only 2-3 were above average, 1-2 significantly above average and the rest range from awful to mediocre or decent at best, as expected.

If we also take into account that psynews members generally have better taste than your average joe the Signal-to-Noise / Diamonds-To-Shit ratio of the psyscene nowadays is even lower.

None music genre with 20 years of history is innovative anymore.

Well, if psytrance is dead for you, that's fine. However, that's not the case with everyone. I just don't get why you made the thread, if you had already made up your mind anyway. And why do you feel the need to tell people that their taste in music sucks?

Well, if psytrance is dead for you, that's fine. However, that's not the case with everyone. I just don't get why you made the thread, if you had already made up your mind anyway. And why do you feel the need to tell people that their taste in music sucks?

In fact I didn't say anyone's taste sucked and anyone can listen to anything he wants (including R&B ,pop and neofolk).I only said and emphasized "IMO" (twice!) Richpa's was the best tracks, that's all.

I was expecting someone to prove me wrong and come up with an original album that would be to say "No psytrance isn't dead". Eg that happened in 2005 with Derango's Tumult. I hoped that would happen again but nah. I was expecting some interesting dark/forest/prog fusion (coincidence is I found about Merkaba today, whose music I found rather interesting)

I also want to discuss the stagnation of genres in general, not only psytrance, and wonder why other genres that have been here for more than a decade can still be innovative while psytrance fails, as of lately.And it's not only stagnation ,it's degression as well. Heck,ambient(and I mean pure,beatless/drone ambient in the realms of Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana, Robert Rich, Biosphere ) has been the same since 80s but it's still the same quality,although still lacking innovation.Now,psytrance not only stagnated but the quality also fell dramatically.

And when I say dead, I defined it in my last post. It's almost dead in the way I mentioned.

I still DO listen to psytrancebut it's mostly stuff from 95 - 2005.In fact as of lately I listen like ~20 psytrance tracks per day, that's enough considering I do listen to other music as well.

You know what? I think in a way what happened to psytrance is similar to what happened to punk.

Punk started pretty dynamically in the 70s, then we had post-punk, then hardcore punk, from which NYHC was born and then Hardcore/metalcore etc, then we had post-hardcore,lately some fusions between post-hardcore and sludge/post-metal/screamo, and now... We mostly have all these things of the past just with modern production ;)

Something rather equivalent happened to psytrance just with the names changing... psy/goa, dark psy, forest, suomi,prog,minimal... (in no particular order)