Headphones/Speakers for goa/psytrance

Penzoline

Not that much - they are half open, which means they rest on your ears instead of covering them fully. Good sound quality though, I tried them. But I'll stick to my audio-technics. :)

I think that can be debated, but my own experience is that they do the job very good. And they are closed, and very much so, even-though they sit on the ear.

Thanks for the hint drosophila, i have also read very good about the AKG on some forums around, so maybe i'll check them out since i want to save some cash : ).

I think you are making a nice choise and read so well of the HD 25-1 II. Be sure to check its the newest model that improved a lot of issues that the previous had!

They look really nice, have been considering them as well! And I will make sure to get the newest edition, thanks!

audio components are so expensive...

So true, and its difficult choose how to upgrade, some day some day :rolleyes:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As amplifiers I use a Rega Cursa 3 as a pre-amp and Rega Maia 3 as a power-amp. And the source is a PC with FLAC+Squeezebox Duet.

Posted Image

Quite the system you've got :)

I am no hi-fi expert so I was wondering how much your sound out-put is improve by adding a pre-amp on the PC signal? And do you have a separate sound-card?

Well, I do have a "sound card" (integrated stuff on the motherboard in fact). But I only use it for plugging the headphone system directly to it. However the speaker system goes through the SqueezeBox. And the SqueezeBox doesn't use the sound card, the signal actually goes through the network instead.

Obviosly adding units in the "chain" doesn't improve the signal anything. But I am bound to have a pre-amp since the power-amp doesn't have a volume regulator.

I just got an ASUS Xonar DG sound card for about $30, and it made quite a nice difference in the quality. :) I think I should have gotten it sooner now that I've heard the difference. It's way easier to hear each distinct instrument/track.

It's a budget sound card, so it can't amplify really high impedance headphones, but it can do 150, and mine are only 64ohms. It also "only" does 96khz(24bit) too, but that's like 3-4x better than CD quality, so I can't see it being a problem. ;)

I do use analog-out though, and I doubt it would make any difference (compared to onboard sound) if you use the digital output. Digital signals should be identical no matter the source.

hi penzoline.

IT really depends on how much you want to spend.

On the cheap side, for headphnes, the audiotechnica ath-m50 are the best bang for the buck in the headphones department: here's a thread talking about those. Bit flat on the midrange, but nothing dramatic:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/168217-audio-technica-ath-m50-headphones-awesome.html

Okay, about speakers. there's always the monitors option. I have some focal's cms 50, but they are costly, around 1200 the pair.

I use nowadays, and prefer a different option. The vintage one. You will find at audiokarma forum, the most big audiophile site around. I just picked up a realistic sta-2080 with some dynaco's A25 for nearly 200$. I must tell you that I prefer this setup for all kinf of music, compared to even my "studio" setup.

Dynaco's A25 were built in the seventies. They are I thinik the most sold speakers of all time. The drivers are the best ever made. The Seas twitters seriously kicks ass.I know some audiophiles that dropped their high-end speakers in favor of some 100$ A25. The midrange on the dynaco is so musical, it's a beautiful sounding speaker:

Anyways, you can find a lot of info on here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-36374.html

Oh yeah, don't forget to buy the cd versions or at least FLAC quality, because well, mp3 sucks.

If I were you, I would not get a modern speaker if you don'T have the money. you should pay around 500$ a pair a monitors to have a more then decent sound, Then add a sound card for direct x quality, but still...

cheers

Hi KozmicTentacles, you do have the Klipsh, how cool!

Would you recommend them? I heard your exact model on a showroom and played a crop circles track on them but i read so many pro and cons opinions on them! I have heard the sound is too metallic or not definite enough or other people praising them but i want to ask you how you feel them.

do u listen only to goa and chill or also to pop/rock/classical? i do listen a lot of different styles and am curious to hear your feedback :)

cheers

I think that can be debated, but my own experience is that they do the job very good. And they are closed, and very much so, even-though they sit on the ear.

I agree. Even with the velour pads they block out city noise pretty much completely for me. Somebody said they do a strong bass. This I don't agree with. They do a super clear sound thou (at least HD25-i-ii). Loving it.

I was pondering buying some wireless headphones for while I am in the house.

Living in an apartment made of paper I feel sorry for my neighbours so always end up keeping the volume down. Much to my own detriment unfortunately. So I was thinking of getting these sony ones. I have had good experiences with Sony headphones in the past.

Has anyone here used these? Are they any good? I tried them on in the shop and they didn't feel like they would be painful after a while but then again I am not going to stand there for 2 hours to check.

I'm sorry, but i have a question, i'm interested in buying B&W CM9

speakers but i think they are very expensive, the sound is superb but i was wondering if there are less expensive speakers that match the quality of B&W, if they are really worth it i'd go for it, but if there's a good alternative i'd rather not.:)

Now i have standard stereo speakers of my JVC instalation, but i thought it's time to improve that.

As Headphones i use Bose QC 15, i like them.

I was pondering buying some wireless headphones for while I am in the house.

Living in an apartment made of paper I feel sorry for my neighbours so always end up keeping the volume down. Much to my own detriment unfortunately. So I was thinking of getting these sony ones. I have had good experiences with Sony headphones in the past.

Has anyone here used these? Are they any good? I tried them on in the shop and they didn't feel like they would be painful after a while but then again I am not going to stand there for 2 hours to check.

I eneded up buying these. Great sound :)

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a pair of Klipsch S5's (they're intended as a more durable version of the S4's, which is good because a lot of people seem to say that the S4's fall apart quickly) and I can recommend them.

I recently bought a pair of Klipsch S5's (they're intended as a more durable version of the S4's, which is good because a lot of people seem to say that the S4's fall apart quickly) and I can recommend them.

Looks nice, what was the price-tag?!

I Dunno much about headphones... I usually don't spend too much on them because last time I did - I bought a pair of these dam fine headphones:

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Posted Image

and they broke... since then i just but the cheapest ones I can find that fit the mixer plug...

But those are really good, and not even the best ones they sell.

On the other hand. Speakers are a big deal. I've simply got the best speakers (by virtue of luck) i've truly ever heard.

They are Klipsch old fashion home speakers. Klipsch. Hersey 2. Is what I've got. And Honestly I've never heard better speakers anywhere.

The mids and highs are so crisp and clear and the bass, while plenty powerful, is not overblown. Psytrance with all the intricate layers is simply perfect. I'm sure there are probably better speakers out there... But for what i've got (2 100 watt speakers) These are the best i've ever seen. They are dam loud, and dam crisp.

Posted Image

I have no idea about the modern Klipsch speakers that are made today. I suspect they are not as good. But these are truly the best i've come across. They blow any other pair of PA DJ speakers for their size away. They are not actually designed for DJ work. They use the generic +/- naked wire inputs (No XLR)... They are today defined as home theatre speakers... were manufactured in the 70s I think. What i've done is just put two adapters on the bottom so they can fit on a pair of regular speaker stands. They work great.

• 2 months later...

I got a DAC recently to hook up to the computer. The sound just elevated to a whole new level. I can really recommend this if you are using your computer as source!

This is what I got; a Harmony Design DA9

Posted Image

P.S: But your headphones/speakers MUST be up to it. Otherwise it will just sound like headphones/speakers are on stereoids.

For a couple of years now I've been using Sony MDR-V700s. They have a clear sound and a good amount of bass, but they're not the most comfortable to wear... after a few hours of listening I find myself nursing a case of earlobe burn. :unsure:

i also have Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard for PC, and AKG K-271 MKII headphones. for that price range you have a very good sound.

BUT: if you listen to oldschool goa trance a lot and don't want to face the poor production on many tracks, it's advisable to play those on an ordinary laptop/portable player with Koss PortaPro or Koss the Plug headphones. that's what i do when listening to oldschool goa. well, actually i do this most of the time with any music as i don't want to sit in front of the PC all the time.