The future of Psynews

mars

Very sad to hear that Mars. Many many good times were spent on these pages and many good albums were discovered.. If you decide to freeze the forum is it possible to set the old offtopic section visible?

Err, do you really wanna open this issue here? You know the score with this guy ;)

"This Guy" can come back as much as he like as long as he is allowed to by Mars. Comprende Mr. Pavel? Funny how people get personally annoyed if I dont see eye to eye with their views :)

As I said I only posted my honest opinion. I guess if you dont post and agree with what the rest agree on here you are a Black Sheep ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can verify that although it may seem this way, psy-trance people annoy each other just as much as on any other hi-fi, formula-1, videogames forum.

I really think psynews should go back to the way it was before these new forum types. Make it oldschool again. Open an off-topic and do what Ormion suggested.

Seriously why not just close it all down Mars? It used to be a vibrant fresh community where things happened. Nowadays its totally dead.

Why are you still there? Nevermind.

Very sad to hear that Mars. Many many good times were spent on these pages and many good albums were discovered.. If you decide to freeze the forum is it possible to set the old offtopic section visible?

There is a misundertsanding. I wanna retire from Psynews to focus on other things. I don't want Psynews to freeze, neither die.

On the contrary: Psynews needs new ideas, new dedication and time, I don't have them now. So new people are likely to give Psynews a new youth !! And I won't have a word to say about it.

I really think psynews should go back to the way it was before these new forum types. Make it oldschool again. Open an off-topic and do what Ormion suggested.

Well, that was actually the point for a long time. The real story is, there was noone anymore to update the "real" site with all the dedicated pages after Children's departure.

So my only choice back in 2003 was to let the forum become the frontpage, try to let the site live on its own, the time for me to develop a new site that would be less a hassle to maintain. I never found enough time for it, I regret it.

In the meantime, the forum evolved, was upgraded, and became what it is now. Not much choice sometimes with software you depend on.

So this board could deserve a new skin, already, to make it "oldschool" in a cool manner.

And then about the OffTopic, I disapprove of it, because I do remember what it was like when on the other side of the mirror, but if you guys decide to reopen it once I'm gone, then I won't say anything, and you'll just have to deal with the consequences.

And last but not least, there could/should be indeed a new frontpage, provided we have enough motivated developers working on it. And that would be just great.

I dont see reason why most ppl go against Kris. Ok, he have his stances, maybe they are wrong but ok...

IMO Kris you should help us keep this alive too because you and few others made this music, so continue pushing it forward and keep goa spirit alive.

You just dont know how much goa artists are there and lovers too. You need to dig a deep like me. Example only in Russia are minimum 100 artist i know now, 90% of them never released, some of them start goa when you are but no opportunity for releasing or promoting themselves.

Goa is love, not profit. If you want be rich from music start folk or pop :P

After all we are all so called friend (some are really) and this is better than some warez or spamming forum.

PS. I dont like when whole forum go against one guy. Better thing about your stances, change them and help us about this, give some good suggestion, idea... :)

Seriously I just spoke my mind and did not mean anything bad with it. To some I am wrong for having a different opinion than yours. There's nothing I can do about that just as there's nothing you can do to change my mind. I do believe that some things should be closed down when its time to close down. And I do not think this community will ever become what it used to be just as any kind of music never will become the same 15 years after it had it "golden" period. Its just a matter of how things are and not at all an attack on anyone here which some of you seem to think.

I only wish this community all the best but I do think some have a hard time letting go and have a dream of reviving this community to what it once was. I just honestly do not think it will succeed. But peace to you all and I do hope you will find what you seek here or somewhere else.

I wont interfere in this debate again. I wish you all a nice weekend.

Seriously I just spoke my mind and did not mean anything bad with it. To some I am wrong for having a different opinion than yours. There's nothing I can do about that just as there's nothing you can do to change my mind. I do believe that some things should be closed down when its time to close down. And I do not think this community will ever become what it used to be just as any kind of music never will become the same 15 years after it had it "golden" period. Its just a matter of how things are and not at all an attack on anyone here which some of you seem to think.

I only wish this community all the best but I do think some have a hard time letting go and have adream of reviving this community to what it once was. I just honestly do not think it will succeed. All peace to that.

I wont interfere in this debate again. I wish you all a nice weekend.

Thing is, I don't personally need more activity than this, it's enough for me to have at least some people enthused and speaking their mind on such an underground music. Having little is much better than having none. For you it might have been enough, sure, I mean you've been with the scene almost 2 decades..

You just dont know how much goa artists are there and lovers too. You need to dig a deep like me. Example only in Russia are minimum 100 artist i know now, 90% of them never released, some of them start goa when you are but no opportunity for releasing or promoting themselves. Goa is love, not profit. If you want be rich from music start folk or pop :P

I totally disagree with this. Why? Well thank god we all have internet and social services that provide great promotion like myspace, soundcloud, facebook and every ''artist'' can promote his work via them. You don't need to be supersmart to do a proper promotion, all you need is basic internet knowledge and material to promote. The thing is that scene (and i mean - newschool goa scene) needs to push harder, follow example of some serious labels like Suntrip or Kagdila, give their best to release quality music with proper mastering, not to release every goddamn ''goa'' artist they found on myspace and internet. That's my opinion and when I started with Neogoa/Dimensional GW thing, I wanted to be honest with myself and with guys who sended their tracks, and that means if track isn't good enough - let them know. It's hard thing, but hey, better help to artist is if you say ''look dude, mix is bad'' or ''that melody is freakin' boring'' than WOW that rocks, let's do an EP net relase. There is bunch of people who doesn't listen to (neo)goa music just because of half-products. Sorry for offtopic.

Just for the record. Having a frontpage with news (as in the old days) makes the plays feel more "serious" and alive. Me and X-Scream had a site where we posted any news concerning our music taste, actually it was more like a blogg. And it was in swedish. It's now dead lol :P I haven't heard from him for a long time and it was mostly me who posted which made the site almost a SA-psy homage. We also hade a site together with Nemo where a forum was the base of the site but there was a frontpage and any post we thought was good was put on the frontpage. It was also in swedish and is now dead too due to server trouble if I recall correctly. I'm just saying that if you can bring a post onto a frontpage it would be very nice. Here we have reviews, artists & label announcments (Hi profane!), music- and art- promotion and shitload of stuff here. It's kind easy to neglect if you don't browse those specific forums. Also, this will perhaps bring forth more good posts since the will get a little more attention. However, I have no idea who to make this. X-Scream is a code-guru and made all the code for the sites.

Insejn, I (and a lot of people) think it's funny the way some artists are inspired by other's more famous artists names.

X-Scream sends one directly to X-Dream. And the sound of "eks-scream" itself is funny.

There should be a reason for naming a band. What's behind the idea of "Cannibal Barbecue", for instance? FYI, it's a psy band from somewhere.

I didn't mean offense, I was just laughing a little. Just like I would if I was introduced to someone called Chrysler Ford.

Insejn, I (and a lot of people) think it's funny the way some artists are inspired by other's more famous artists names.

X-Scream sends one directly to X-Dream. And the sound of "eks-scream" itself is funny.

There should be a reason for naming a band. What's behind the idea of "Cannibal Barbecue", for instance? FYI, it's a psy band from somewhere.

I didn't mean offense, I was just laughing a little. Just like I would if I was introduced to someone called Chrysler Ford.

X-scream isn't an artist. He is merely a user on this forum.

But ok, you couldn't know that :P

I agree. And then we should get back the "what is psytrance" essay. Man, that was the good old days. Psytrance is oldschool anyways, let's go back in time with psynews. :)

Hell yeah!

Maybe bring back the old psynews frontpage? Retro-look is pretty awesome these days. But it would be easier if the New reviews and New albums sections would be updated automatically.

Really sorry to hear this! :blink:

Hopefully somebody capable and passionate can take over and breathe some life into the site!

Thanks so much mars for keeping it going and doing a great job, we all appreciate it!

I don't really have any skill with servers or have a predictable schedule to moderate. I hope someone can fill those shoes though.

This site is filled with so much valuable information and history that it would be a great loss if the site ever goes down.

I agree. And then we should get back the "what is psytrance" essay. Man, that was the good old days. Psytrance is oldschool anyways, let's go back in time with psynews. :)

Ah, the good old days! Maybe this time, whoever is in charge might want to use the whole of the little essay I wrote, not just part of it? :P

Posted Image

Fabien, your dedication to this site and the constant work it has involved over the past 11 years has been amazing, and a lesson in discipline; I can imagine that these feelings have been strong in you for a long time now, for you to finally want to make them public and start the process. I hope a take-over team can be assembled from people who still post here regularly.

Any music scene needs a variety of viewpoints for there to be a proper discussion about it, and although traffic here may not be huge, the organic nature of Psynews has made it the home of a unique perspective. As one of the few truly international psytrance forums that is aware of the history of the genre, Psynews is irreplaceable, and I'm very glad that whatever happens, the worst-case scenario is that that history will be preserved in a read-only form. I've got my fingers crossed for more than that though.

Big love.

Ah, the good old days! Maybe this time, whoever is in charge might want to use the whole of the little essay I wrote, not just part of it? :P

Posted Image

I couldn't have put it in better words Colin. Exactly like my view on trance-dancing. This music has given me so much...it's impossible to wipe out trance-culture. I believe there is still a future for psynews...lots of younger kids are already infected by the Goa/psytrance virus. I'm not an oldtimer here on PN, so I cannot comment on the way things were but I think it's important to look to the future of PN now. A new administrator can give new impulses to the forum, a fresh look on things can benefit the forum a lot. At the same time, Mars, you did a great job these 11 years in keeping this site alive, and by doing so, allowing me to join it. :)

I have absolutely no knowledge of technical aspects, but I am willing to learn. Is there some kind of tutorial pages for forums like Psynews, mars?

If a team is indeed created, I would be glad to be part of it, from admin to mod stuff, I don't care which one. If a team is assembled, we could try to share thoughts for future improvments and innovation... I can't swear I will be motivated for 11 years like mars, but I think that if I get to know how stuff works, it will help me getting the motivation to keep it running. I owe alot of my musical life to Psynews, I also don't want it to stop running. Great people are here, with great knowledge. I would like to keep the exchange of thoughts of opinions going.

I think off-topic should be reopen. But I also think it had good and bad influence over Psynews, so perhaps change the formula a little (old database transfered to another forum, and linked from here?)...

Also, like others said, alot of work has to be done on the review section. So that could be part of the innovation.

As for a front page, I don't really understand what is it, but why no?

Maybe bring back the old psynews frontpage? Retro-look is pretty awesome these days. But it would be easier if the New reviews and New albums sections would be updated automatically.

I still have the old pages and the content. But you don't wanna reuse them. You wanna build something new that looks like it. That was oldschool html...

I have absolutely no knowledge of technical aspects, but I am willing to learn. Is there some kind of tutorial pages for forums like Psynews, mars?

Well, http://community.invisionpower.com/

If you decide to start a front page I suggest Joomla engine, it's really cool stuff, you can build your own website, add a content in categories and sections, It allows member registration, voting articles/reviews, submitting weblinks. There is also few modules that support banners, image galeries, webshop and stuff like that. It's not a problem to link existing forum with frontpage, all you need to do is to make an external link in a menu bar.

Joomla is great stuff for reviews, because on Neogoa (which uses Joomla engine) you can see what I'm talking about, text editors are similar to this ones here, you can add images, links, html codes, lists, metadata descriptions.

All you need is a server with mysql and some FTP program.

I agree with Richpa, Joomla is great. However, my site-builder of choice is Wordpress. I have tried to create a whole site using Joomla, and it's quite complex if you don't have a good knowledge of computing.

Wordpress is more intuitive, and the plugins and widgets are vast and really nice.

I used Joomla before, but I have switched to Wordpress, It's easier, you save time and some neurons too. ;)