3. Magnesia

4. Mental Escape

5. Hypnotropic

6. Lunatic Transfer

7. Psy Crise

8. United Pulse

9. Out Of Time

DAT Records - 2010

How is it possible nobody wrote something about this album before? As many people know this is actually a selection of old tracks by Crossing Mind... Back in the days (Around 2000) he wrote 6 cds filled with the most psychedelic melodic stuff, and this album is simply the best of the best of those cds! And because of the mastering the sound quality is amazing! :)

But what do we actually have here? Well, in my opinion a cd that ends up in my top-20 of all times! The tracks can be defined as high energy, super psychedelic goa trance filled with acidic sounds and other sharp edges... :) His style is very unique and not like other old school acts! Play this on the right moment on the dancefloor and you get launched to heaven! :)

What tracks I like? Pretty simple all (except nr 2 which is a very little weaker imo), and I think 4-5-6-7 are simply A+ tracks! Superb!! Together with E-Mantra this must be the best album of the year for me without any doubt!

Congratulations Federico!

But what do we actually have here? Well, in my opinion a cd that ends up in my top-20 of all times! The tracks can be defined as high energy, super psychedelic goa trance filled with acidic sounds and other sharp edges... :) His style is very unique and not like other old school acts! Play this on the right moment on the dancefloor and you get launched to heaven! :)

+1 :)

There's a lot to like in this release and Crossing Mind clearly has talent. However, the kicks get pretty monotonous at times and my attention starts to wander after a couple of tracks. Maybe that's because this is more of a compilation than a unified, organic album.

8/10

Thanks guys, it was really hard to get this together and this selection is really party oriented. Each of the tracks represents a different moment and has a unique vibe in it and the selection was really difficult to be made. I appreciate the honesty of the reviews and i agree this wasn't born as a organic album but as a collection of the best tunes he had. The massive hit Cyclone In Your Heart went on the stratospheric compilation Temple Of Chaos that delivered fantastically!

This is just the beginning and I already have kind of licensed 4 tracks from Stephane for upcoming compilations ;) so there will be more to come. But labels, take a listen to his soundcloud page where he shared some amazing new tunes and the music he is creating now is really great, same vibe as the old one!

cheers!

I personally give the album 9/10 :)

• 3 weeks later...

simply the best psy album i heard in five years time

it´s simply amazing

the melodies are just from heaven

i`m hoping for a second album, because he has a lot more of fine tunes

@anoebis: please play at least one song of crossing mind at eargasm :)

Man gotta check this out, even though the temple of chaos track didn't cought my attention

• 1 month later...

hi, anyone notice some errors in first track (Andromeda). i'm curious, please check again 7:01 and 8:32 of song's for me.

i am sad for notice that :(

because i really love the song and just scare to listen entire album. please inform me, thanks.

Wow, those errors are so tiny that I never even noticed them, hardly worth complaining about..

On topic, I'll throw in my 2 cents when I get around to it.

The original CD has no errors whatsoever at 7:01 or 8:32 the track is flawless.

please make a rip of your copy and amplify the supposed error cause neither me nor tim schuldt or the artist himself have reported of any glitch on the sound.

if this is an alias of we know who, please avoid trolling.

Samples? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Crossing Mind - The Holographic Paradigm

DAT Records

Posted Image

1. Andromeda

2. Terminal Fantasy

3. Magnesia

4. Mental Escape

5. Hypnotropic

6. Lunatic Transfer

7. Psy Crise

8. United Pulse

9. Out Of Time

The Holographic Paradigm is Crossing Mind's Psy/Goa-Trance debut album. For those familiar with their track on Suntrip Record's V/A - Temple of Chaos, I wasn't crazy with their track on there, but as even artist Merr0w later proved on his debut album, Crossing Mind has its chance to shatter past perceptions, and for those who enjoyed their previous work, raise their bar.

1. Andromeda begins with some very distorted psy sounds. They skip across the beat as a variety of sound effects coat the growing rhythm. A catchy, albeit gentle melody enters at 1:49 and is accompanied by sweet, buzzing sounds. The track sounds nice, but its grip has yet to tighten. After a brief interlude, the music returns with more layers, a grittier support, and an excellent, psy lead that arrives at 4:09. The song is becoming tastier, as the backdrop hums along the sweet, driving rhythm. It's a good track so far, but the part after the brief drum roll is great. This involves more of an emotive, story telling approach via the melody department. Soon however, the psy sounds take over, leaving the melodies to swim with the atmospheric backdrop. Unsure of the song's next move, an intricate sound combination rises up around 6:15, and is soon supported by tasty Goa melodies. I really like the melodically driving rhythm throughout this song, and its development into the sixth and seventh minute. I feel that it could have ended around 7:27 however; the track begins to build new energy in its last 1-2 minutes. Fortunately, the return of some old, more emotive elements is pleasant. While this isn't the best track here in my opinion, it's well done, and this is just the beginning. B+

2. Terminal Fantasy is far more energetic than the previous number. The melodies are confident and strong; they stand out more than the previous track. The atmosphere is good too, and from 2:15-2:28 is the sweet buildup that provides a fantastic rush, the first on the album for me. This staccato chorus-like segment is very different from Talpa's The Kingdom track, however it reminds of a less-crazy version of its climax nonetheless. The song seems less choppy however, more fluid and in that regard, tasty. This part takes place for a good minute or two, until a far, more blistering psychedelic Goa-trance rhythm pours into overdrive, arresting the senses in the middle third. So there's two great lead rhythms taking place here in addition to the track's strong atmosphere, and numerous, supportive sounds. Moreover, there's change up, angles of distortion, and rearrangements in the final act that combine both previous and new elements for a dynamic, final third. The last minute takes off many of the layers, and the less combined approach sounds catchy as well. Great track. B+

3. Magnesia has an interesting introduction, ending with the voice of a little girl before taking off. The beat seems emphasized by subtle sound emphasis, as a powerful Goa-esque lead enters at 2:08, soon overlapped by a rich, ethnic influenced lead. I really like the driving feel, the rhythm, and the emphasis on the beat; the latter stands out without being too upfront. After a brief interlude in which the music chills in the background, a little girl's voice signals the next stretch of madness. This involves a radically different approach involving distortion; the layers seem to be being shaken up, put in a blender, and reconstructed. The overall effect is wonderful; you can hear this psychedelic enrichment more clearly from 6:50-7:00. Magnesia is a dynamic and psychedelic track with strong melody/sound work, unpredictable twists, and a delicious blend of wild atmosphere. It's currently my favorite uptempo track on the album. Excellent track! A-

4. Mental Escape nearly skips the intro via beat. The fast paced melodies hook early on, though an intro would have been cool. At roughly 2:04, a new melody sentence arrives. It sounds pretty good, but grow a little repetitive as it moves forward. The arrangement is soon altered, though similar behavior seem to take place. I notice a variety of movement in the backdrop that's interesting. There's also a lower key/grinding sound (it stands out even more from 5:39 to 5:53) that's great. My issue is that the melodies seem almost secondary (or repetitive) at times to the solid psychedelic work around them. For instance, the melody section from 2:03 to 2:52 soon grows tired, as if it's on auto-pilot to some degree. This takes place soon after, and again from 7:00 to 7:32; I find these parts monotonous. The melody work on previous tracks was far more gripping. That said, the melody work combinations sound great from 5:54-6:15, and again from 6:37 to 6:55, and yet again from 7:56 to 8:15. I simply find a decent amount of the melody work here less arresting than on previous tracks. All other supportive work is well done. B

5. Hypnotropic begins with a short but interesting, ambient-influenced opening. Here the layers seem to be pouring out of a tunnel on top of a "rumbling" generator. The first several minutes are psychedelic heavy, though I'm not in love with the higher pitched focus and miss a melody lead. Not to worry, if your attention hasn't been grabbed yet, it likely will at 3:00 when the rhythm changes up to adopt a rough, drivingly deeper tone. A higher pitched lead arrives at 3:31; it's quite high (maybe higher than I prefer), though the Pleiadians had layers that went higher. What's interesting is the combination between high and low synth work. There is a strong, healthy balance that ripples through the track throughout the middle third. One takes place from 5:35 to 5:50, and all the meanwhile, the vehicle (overall song here) seems drenched in acid. The same seems true for many songs here, and I may be missing a whole other layer of comprehension to the album's depth. That said, an intentionally choppy/tasty rhythm is highlighted throughout the final third. There is more taking place in the background textures, though the undercurrent sound is very effective, reminding me of some of the work on the Battle of the Buddha's - Twin Sharkfins album. Psychedelic track! B+

6. Lunatic Transfer is more to my liking; the leads stand out more. The background work is psychedelic as they've been on previous tracks too. The melody work is really gripping here, especially from 4:33 to 4:56, and again from 5:17 to 6:30; these sections include some of the most infectious and most enjoyable melody/sound work I've heard all year. The track's just heating up though. I won't spoil everything, but before the seventh minute, the song changes up, gains a second appetite. The complimentary sound of what could be a clock reaching midnight (or whatever that "bong..." is towards the end) is an interesting, little addition too. Excellent track. A-

7. Psy Crise begins with radio-esque voice samples, as if we're on a station in space. The introduction is interesting enough; there's some bubbly sounds; the gradual/layer building works well. A catchy melody arrives at 2:14. Pleiadian-esque sounds swirl in addition to acid lines. A variety of soundscapes swim into the liquid as the texture heavy backdrop changes form. The beat and sound that overlaps it works well here; the less intense approach via beat gives the album more variety. The song's composure seems more articulative. Those who enjoy their work drenched in psychedelia may take note of this and several, previous tracks. The song continues this bubbly ride, developing its higher-pitched rhythms, and sounds pretty good to me, nothing spectacular. Suddenly, the beat fades Sounds disappear into darkness at 6:12. The interlude's intriguing, as if we're deep (and moving) underground. It's creative, unpredictable (and catchy!) work like this that I enjoy; the space provides a chance for change up and direction, for the song involve and evolve more. Although there isn't a melody lead that I can point out (save for the one around 2:14), the ambient-influenced work (even in the last minute) is great! This is another strong track that seems more imagination in the second half, as it takes risks to build new terrain. I may be giving this less credit than it deserves. The overall track is interesting, well done! B+

8. United Pulse ... the mega uptempo (before last) song on the album begins as if deep in a borrow somewhere, adjusting how it will approach surface until breaking through the Earth at 1:52. This is a good example of storytelling I think. The first track seemed to reflect elements, like chapters in a story by using emotive notes. This is no exception; there is this warm feeling throughout that hooks my senses early on, eliciting emotions. I feel involved with the track. A spacey interlude breaks up the middle before the vehicle takes off for its next evolution in orbit. The lower sound compliments a few of the other tracks; note or key changes produce more of an organized, orchestrated feel too. I felt a little lost on Mental Escape, but here I feel more immersed, as if more attention as been invested into both the arrangement and overall structure of the track. This is an interesting, smart number that keeps me hooked without overwhelming my senses to sheer psychedelia. Strong track. A-

9. Out Of Time is incredible. I would love to hear more work like this from Crossing Mind. This mid-tempo vehicle feels as if we're moving in a rover across Mars (or in a dune buggy in the dessert) as the gorgeous, orange/red sunset bleeds across the sky with illustrated treasure. I can even hear a (whether intended or not) subtle Pleiadian-esque area (from 3:04 to 3:19). I think these guys could pull off even more amazing work if they let those artists influence them a little more at times; they're work on this track is captivating. Things continue to change, blend, develop, and evolve; and the melody/sound work is deliciously combined to the trekking score. I love the atmosphere around the beat, how the beat is deliciously encountered by a variety of Goa melody/sounds, and effects. Underneath the fairly driving beat is an undercurrent that stands out from 4:57 to 5:11. The chopped up sound/braiding section towards the end is sweet too. My only issue is that the track seems unsure how to end, as it fades pretty quickly. I would have loved a more satisfying, conclusive ending. Otherwise, Out Of Time oozes with greatness; it's one of the richest, most underrated, imaginative, and absorbing songs I've heard so far all year. Stunning track! A-

In conclusion, The Holographic Paradigm has tracks that are much better than the artist's Cyclone in Your Heart song on the Temple Of Chaos compilation. I'm actually a little surprised that Suntrip released that track when they could have possibly released one of these. This isn't what I'd consider a homogeneous release because it wasn't cut that way, but rather a compilation of (some, if not all of) Crossing Mind's best work to date. The result is an album that will appeal to fans of Goa/Psy trance in general. It's simply not a story-driven album. There are other releases out there for that. That said, there are some really great tracks here. As with Derango's Tumult, although this is completely different, Crossing Mind's style is very psychedelic. If not for the melodies, I probably wouldn't like their work as much. But the melodies, combined with the psychedelic heavy approach can be very impressive and fun. I simply wish the album was more homogenous because hearing it straight through isn't as enjoyable I find, as breaking it up over maybe two listens. There hasn't been many Psychedelic Goa-Trance releases in 2010, aside from the one mentioned above, Goasia, V/A's Energy Waves, Amithaba Buddha's Myself In The Mirror, and most recently V/A - Spiritual Rising. The Holographic Paradigm may be more psychedelic than any of the above if we were to somehow measure. It's a solid release with some amazing tracks and work on it.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9.

B+

Samples / Order

Saikosounds

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8522

Psyshop

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dat/dat1cd003.html

Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holographic-Paradigm-Crossing-Mind/dp/B003UEMSFI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1287577704&sr=8-4

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Holographic-Paradigm-Crossing-Mind/dp/B003UEMSFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287577677&sr=1-1

Nice review, cocco! Glad someone made a full length review.

In my opinion Psycrise and Cyclone In Your Heart are the best tracks from Crossing Mind. Amazing melodies, very gripping, psychedelic and unique. Otherwise I quite agree with the review. The only problem with this release is that it feels like a compilation rather than an album, but that's completely understandable from where it's coming from. I never listen to it from beginning to end but half and half sounds much nicer. It has also grown on me a little, starting to enjoy all the details in the tracks. Also the album art is just epic, I love it.

hi, anyone notice some errors in first track (Andromeda). i'm curious, please check again 7:01 and 8:32 of song's for me.

i am sad for notice that :(

because i really love the song and just scare to listen entire album. please inform me, thanks.

Edit:

I hereby retract my former post and replace it with this one.

I know what you're hearing Step, but I believe both are minor circumstantial noises made by the original synths.

Example 1, Time 7:01: http://www.veracohr.com/audio/Andromeda701.wav - I boosted a narrow frequency range centering around the 'offending' noise. You can hear a resonance, which tells me it's not a playback glitch, but something that happened at an earlier stage in the sound generation; like before a resonant filter, flanger, or something. The audio file is 3 beats long, and the sound occurs after the second beat.

Example 2, Time 8:32: http://www.veracohr.com/audio/Andromeda832.wav - This one is more noticeable during play, but harder to prove without you being here watching what I'm doing. This one also is 3 beats long and the sound occurs after the second beat. It sounds like a stutter during play, but I found by alternating and sweeping low- and high-pass filters that the 'stutter' only happens in the high end. When low-passing the track, nothing sounds out of whack. Hey that rhymed. :P This tells me there was no playback glitch because if there was, I would have also heard something in the low end, which I did not. After listening to a short loop around this section playing over and over, I decided the sound might be some synth with a sequenced filter, so that the filter momentarily jumps up high and you hear the sound with extra high end. I could be wrong on the specifics, but I believe this sound also was generated by the synth. At the very worst, it could have been a glitch by the synth during recording, which DAT and Tim Schuldt would not have been able to fix or be responsible for.

Thanks a lot Veracohr, you analyzed the "supposed" error in depth and proved a point. That "sound" is in fact part of the track and was not an error of any sort. I still can't believe that someone would say that he won't listen to a complete album due to "supposed" errors that are not even there!

Anyway, enjoy the music and thanks for the reviews! :)

I still can't believe that someone would say that he won't listen to a complete album due to "supposed" errors that are not even there!

Really? I for example couldn't listen to Doof's whole "Let's Turn On" album until I got original TIP release, because Twisted's reprint had this nasty error on 1st track. I usually listen CDs in their entirety and such details piss me no end. :)

Posted Image

Artist: Crossing Mind

Title: The Holographic Paradigm

Label: DAT Records

Date: July, 2010

1. Andromeda

2. Terminal Fantasy

3. Magnesia

4. Mental Escape

5. Hypnotropic

6. Lunatic Transfer

7. Psy Crise

8. United Pulse

9. Out Of Time

First off, thank you Draeke at Psynews.org for re-discovering this artist and your hard work to get this released. It seems your label has a knack for bringing back the past with efforts like Blue Planet Corporation's A Blueprint for Survival as well as Tetrahedron from Crop Circles. I think if you can somehow get the unreleased Organique from Psygone to see the light of day the world and all in it is yours. Crossing Mind is Stephane Beze from France and this is his debut. Wait, an old school artist releasing their first album? Yep, that's about right. Apparently, he had a treasure trove of tracks that were just waiting to be discovered and this is a best of compilation. He did release a track on the Suntrip compilation Temple of Chaos, but that was just a hint of what was to come. Before getting to the music, the cover is a beautiful symmetrical array of blues and purples which is very pleasing to the eye.

Andromeda- Alien skitterings shoot forth as a bassline pounds out its steady rhythm. The intertwining of pads is smooth giving the track a floating feeling. Soft and subtle with a lot of different sounds, this is a nice intro into his old school sound.

Terminal Fantasy- With more old school leads this one gives a strong wink towards the aggressive. The synths twist and swirl together for short periods before each takes its rightful place. It's nonstop psychedelia that really warps the mind and is never dull with its deft meanderings.

Magnesia- The intro effects really make the beginning of this track feel like deep, cold space. Leads dance like a cobra under the spell of a snake charmer as soft tones float above the violence. The kick is thunderous and it's just a minute in as the momentum builds. The introduction of one lead and the exit of another is masterfully done. The break is short and reinforces the cold space feel of this track. The reverse sounds are a nice touch as the leads drive the track home. Great stuff!

Hypnotropic- Wow, this is a lot more aggressive, with insane leads dancing circles around those lucky enough to hear. The leads keep on coming like a sledgehammer and they get twisted like a pretzel. Four on the floor insanity is what this is. Super track.

Lunatic Transfer- This track is of a slower tempo and reminds me of Man With No Name. There is some more twisted sonic goodness and I feel this one is more...grimy. It gets in the dirt and isn't afraid to wallow in it. The leads bring it out of the muck with attitude. The break maintains the flow but adds more of that underground feel as it climbs right back up. Pretty sweet!

Psy Crise- Smooth intro, short though it is, and this bass is dirty. It gurgles, undulates...but the lead that comes next sparkles. Very groovy, and this is maintained well as jockey for postition like racehorses. The tension just builds and this becomes a very driving track. Wow, what stunned me though was that there was an actual break. Full steam ahead captain! This deserves to be played at high volume...preferentially in a residential neighborhood! ;)

United Pulse- I think he likes astronaut samples as there is another one here. It reinforces his outer space vibe for sure. This is like being trapped on a spaceship that is drifting through the galaxy. The groovy lead is saw sharp, and rides the current with a small key change that is repeated. Don't expect a rest though, as a new lead germinates. Mechanical noises emanate from the spacecraft, and the melody redoubles its effort. Man, another bouncy bit of goodness.

Out of Time- Sadly there has to be a closing track and this is the shortest one. Even the track is upset as it sounds mournful and full of regret. It isn't long however, before the air scraped leads kick in and trade jabs back and forth. The synths get twisted up and he has an awesome transition into a breakbeat that is funky as hell. Even with the driving bass, this one is not as intense, but more laid back. And just like that it's over.

This is very different from the majority of new school goa released today. Obviously this was done a while ago so technically it is old school. There is none of the large wide open intros or atmosphere creation. That isn't to say it isn't atmospheric, but what isn't here is the multiple melody lead stacking that is so prevalent today. That doesn't mean it is worse because of it, just different. I guess because this is a compendium of some of his best stuff, there really isn't any type of theme. It is straight ahead goa trance with a psychedelic bent. His melodies are whip like and very entrancing allowing tracks to stretch longer with more twists and turns. Also, there are very few breaks, so there is no "regrouping" to set up the next phrase, he just hits you with it. Something else, it sounds great. The mastering was wonderfully done bringing all the rich subtleties out from the shadows. I really like this CD and can recommend it very highly for those that want to hear an unheralded old school artist twist your brain.

Mdk

Ethereal, perpetual arpeggios and soundscapes with a clear personal reflection shining through, carried by driving grooves, punctuated by beautifully sculpted analogue edges. Certainly on par with the most commercially successful old school acts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 - terminal fantasy, middle parts of the song I find very irritating, the melody gets too cheesy with very little variation

The Rest of the album is very good though, both for home listening and partying.

Especially 4 - mental escape reminds me a lot of Transwave.

Very good effort! Some of the best I've heard the past 2 years!

• 5 years later...