Did you know that...

amithaba_buddha

First , my apologies on the topic title (too much excitment :P ) , it's 1982 not 1892.

A friend of mine just shown me this and i was totally amazed.

Here's the description:

*Until recently it wasn’t much more than some rumours on the web: a 1982 released LP called TEN RAGAS TO A DISCO BEAT containing Kraftwerk-like acid house music, years before the genre was invented.

SYNTHESIZING – TEN RAGAS TO A DISCO BEAT

by Charanjit Singh (India, 1982)

So it turns out, the record was no rumour. Only a few hundred copies of the LP were ever pressed, and only a handful seem to have survived. Moreover, the LP outdoes all expectations. Performed on the synths that would later define Acid House, the Roland TB-303 and TR-808, the album sounds light years ahead of its time with its repetitive beats and hypnotic electronic melodies. Its maker, Bollywood session musician Charanjit Singh, set out to translate ancient Indian classical Ragas to the modern synthesizer and in doing so seems to have invented House music along the way. The 10 tracks make a consistent listen from A to Z. Its restrained minimalism and lack of cheesiness makes it incredibly contemporary, sounding animated, fluid and unabashedly alive.

Now get your jaws ready because u'll be amazed... and forget Goa Gil..

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqnPYwoiF4

and

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXiB7OQOYJ0

And this was all produced in 1982!!

if you want to buy it or check more info :

http://www.bombay-connection.com/en_GB/site/page/1/releases

To me this is an immediate buy and it's really good it has been re-released , this sounds like it was made yesterday.

It's just too bad they are not selling CD copies but only LP's (no point because i don't have a turntable) and online mp3's (which im not buying because , well it's mp3 , bah). :\

Maybe will email them and ask if there's any chance for a CD release..

I smell an Amithaba Buddha 10 track free release update.. Powerful storming goa trance blasters inspired by this incredible find. ;)

Pretty sweet!

Mdk

He he he.. no , i'm on a long period holiday ( better not spill the beans ) , i was really amazed when a friend of mine shown me this and when i got to know this was made on 1982 i was :o:o .

Seriously i was really happy to know about this and admire this work a lot .

Probably at the time nobody gave this attention because it sounded rubbish since it's not using any "real" sounds , which today , sound totally up-to-date and that's amazing for a record with almost 30 years old!

To me this is an immediate buy and it's really good it has been re-released , this sounds like it was made yesterday.

It's just too bad they are not selling CD copies but only LP's (no point because i don't have a turntable) and online mp3's (which im not buying because , well it's mp3 , bah). :\

Maybe will email them and ask if there's any chance for a CD release..

http://www.discogs.c...release/2136045

looks like it is re-released on CD... I will be looking for this one as well, for sure B)

ed: but I see that as u mentioned they only sell LP, mp3 and wav versions in the label web-shop :(

Posted Image

info

more info

his myspace

Incredibly, this is not a joke, I use a French expression to describe my astonishment: "je suis sur le cul" :lol:

The first experiments goa date from the early 80s, these songs sound very good.

It is an archive to concerver. Thank you for this discovery Felipe :)

more extract from his album

Wow this actually sounds fresh in 2010! You can tell it's "oldschool" but it sounds more like a modern producer made it that way on purpose. The melodies are classic goa melodies. It sounds a lot more goa than a most of the stuff I associate with early goa (around 1988-1990).

Great stuff :)

I guess the clips you put are the remastered versions, right?

Otherwise :o

I looked over the shop , no info is found , but , on discogs here's some details :

Credits

Artwork By [Cover] - Stefan Glerum

Keyboards, Programmed By - Charanjit Singh

Mastered By - Johanz Westermans*

Research, Producer - Edo Bouman

Notes

Recorded in 1982 at HMV Studios in Bombay, India

Equipment: Roland Jupiter-8, Roland TB-303, Roland TR-808

Sound restoration: See Why Audio

Point is re-mastered or not , the original content was produced in 1982 which is totally mind-blowing.

I looked over the shop , no info is found , but , on discogs here's some details :

Credits

Artwork By [Cover] - Stefan Glerum

Keyboards, Programmed By - Charanjit Singh

Mastered By - Johanz Westermans*

Research, Producer - Edo Bouman

Notes

Recorded in 1982 at HMV Studios in Bombay, India

Equipment: Roland Jupiter-8, Roland TB-303, Roland TR-808

Sound restoration: See Why Audio

Point is re-mastered or not , the original content was produced in 1982 which is totally mind-blowing.

Yes of course, but the sound quality is so clear that it must be remastered. Otherwise that guy was a pioneer in both music and production skills.

Yes of course, but the sound quality is so clear that it must be remastered. Otherwise that guy was a pioneer in both music and production skills.

Nah, not really. I think he just had a very minimalistic approach to production, presenting his sounds without enhanced production. To us this may sound very modern because in the 70's and 80's people were doing far out stuff with music production that sound done and dated by now. For example this guy doesn't have the oomph of compressed reverb, he doesn't have the delayed pizzicato bells, he doesn't have the massive snare. He just has some small quirky sounds. This is similar to the production aesthetic of minimal techno - but the actual production value isn't very high. It's just straight synth sounds out of the box, a drum machine and some attention to detail and textural interaction.

fucking amazing (pardon the words) i must get this. thanx for the info. mindblowing synth stuff. i want the LP :)

exactly...kraftwerk or even some rare pink floyd stuff had maybe psychedelia though lacked of rhythm, in one word, it lacked of TRANCE (just try to read this word once as its meaning not as a genre), it really took time for electronic music to evolve during the 90s into unique sound, a lot of artists had tb-303's and never got a good use of it, listen to this fella, he did patterns that sound like they were edited on a detailed professional sequencing software, i am amazed, composing skills like that (at least for that time) were very rare or non-existent, researching in GENIUS on how music notes create rhythm concludes as stuck in classical music (mozart, bach) until (ex)kids decided to tweak around in comodores and ataris...

ps, why doesnt anyone in this freakin planet use tb-303 anymore for basslines like that, it was rejected from guitar bassist since it didnt sound like a guitar bass at all, now it's being rejected from people who actualy the music they make/listen was created from this little piece...ignorance is indeed bliss