Psynews BEST OF 2009

mars

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should the new Best-Of system allow to see other members' votes?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we change our votes later?

Answered above, answer yes.

Please give me the labelname when you ask for a missing release. And also the month of release if available.

Plz add:

Atmos - Tour De Trance

Will there be a section for EP's?

Tour de Trance is from 2008.

No section for EP's this year. But with the lengths becoming unrelated to the format soon, that will probabaly happen another year.

No Ektoplazm releases whatsoever?

You are welcome to have a look at my list of major netlabel releases in 2009:

http://tinyurl.com/ydjmxjw

(We already have 250+ responses... so it's not minor stuff.)

That's an issue I raised here before because I think free releases are being ignored in various forums when it come to polls and votes such as this. Also where is the category "Best Live Recording 2009" ? Of course its up to you Mars to do what you fee like but it would be more fair (and up-to-date) to include free releases too. I know you say it's a logistic problem but hey all 2009 CD releases was not only released on Psyshop. We have had the debate before and let's face it and stop beating around the Bush. Just because an artist is released on a CD does not make the artist more professional or make the music better. Its a piece of cake really to get a CD release these days as 80% of all labels have no quality control whatsoever or you can easily produce your own CD and get it ona shop such as Psyshop where there's also no quality control whatsoever.

Why not just leave it up to people to fill in what releases they prefer (Instead of you adding releases) and add these categories too?:

Best Free release 2009

Best Recorded live set 2009

Just my 2 cents :)

No Ektoplazm releases whatsoever?

Sorry, it's EXTREMELY hard to gather all 2009 releases out there, they are scattered on hundreds of websites. Do you know how many Discogs contributors there are? Psynews is different: everytime I asked for help for anything here, even building such a list, I just ended up doing all myself. So I did what I could with the time I had. I knew some releases would be missing, that's why I asked people to inform me of discrepancies. But please Basilisk, make my life easier, prepare the list for me, in the specified format (1st post of the thread).

That's an issue I raised here before because I think free releases are being ignored in various forums when it come to polls and votes such as this.

I hope you're not saying they are ignored here. Such critic is easy when you just sit and check if what you're personnally interested in is missing. And you perfectly know what I answered a couple of week ago regarding free releases. We're on the verge of bad faith. Read above.

Also where is the category "Best Live Recording 2009" ?

Nowhere because never foreseen. I always said I would stick to what was done in the prevous years to have something working faster. This whole thing was developped in one month. And I have a wife and a job and a label. Also, live recordings are even harder to gather than free releases. I undesrtsand lives are interesting for you, so if you prepare the whole list for me, I might add it. But IMO we should go further and vote for the best lives seen, not limit to the recorded ones.

Why not just leave it up to people to fill in what releases they prefer (Instead of you adding releases) and add these categories too?:

You can't be serious. Don't you remember the problems we got with that in the past? Anyway, if you agree in front of everyone here that you'll agregate and correlate all written votes, contact members in case of mistakes or inaccuracies, and that you'll provide with the results and graphs as in the previous years, in maximum one month, then I'm ready to kill my system and let people type what they want.

Sorry, it's EXTREMELY hard to gather all 2009 releases out there, they are scattered on hundreds of websites. Do you know how many Discogs contributors there are? Psynews is different: everytime I asked for help for anything here, even building such a list, I just ended up doing all myself. So I did what I could with the time I had. I knew some releases would be missing, that's why I asked people to inform me of discrepancies. But please Basilisk, make my life easier, prepare the list for me, in the specified format (1st post of the thread).

No worries, didn't mean to make it sound like a complaint. The format is just Release [Label]? That's exactly what I have on my list of "best free releases in 2009" (which is just a selection of a few fan favourites based on rating and comment activity on Ektoplazm):

* Amygdala - The Sprawl EP [Ektoplazm]

* Anakoluth - Beyond Reach EP [Cronomi Records]

* Cybernetika - Atropos [independent]

* Disco Hooligans - Clear Skies [Ektoplazm]

* Dissociactive – Underwater Lab EP [sun Station]

* Freeform Human - Arnika [Gi'iwa Productions]

* Hypnagog - Dreaming In Pieces EP [uP Records]

* Jikkenteki - The Beginning Is At The End [Ektoplazm]

* Kemonoid - Squishy Fish EP [Digital Diamonds]

* Kino Oko - The Doggy Bag EP [Digital Diamonds]

* ManMadeMan - Children Of The Light [Ektoplazm]

* New Age Hippies - Entrance [Cyan Music]

* PharaOm - Awakening Bodhisattva [underground Alien Factory Records]

* Proton Kinoun - Apeiron [Omnitropic]

* SubConsciousMind - Intermezzo Extended [Ektoplazm]

* Xamanist - Initiation [Ektoplazm]

* V/A - Art From The Heart [Old is Gold]

* V/A - Energies Around [Mind Expansion]

* V/A - Entities [Croatian Psytrance Community]

* V/A - Helicon Vedas [Helicon Sound System/Om Veda Records]

* V/A - Telepathik Nonsense [Wonk#Ay Records]

* V/A - The Future Of Light [Neurotrance Records]

* V/A - T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi 001 [T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi]

* V/A - Under The Moss [Forest Freaks]

@ Mars

I did not say you as in "Mars" ignore free releases. I was speaking in general terms as many people seem to have the opinion that a CD releases is more worthy. But I wish more forums would include free releases as well as Digital download releases in their sections and votes as most, as an example, Techno and House forums has.

I am aware of the huge amount of work such a vote generate. But I still have to stick to my opinion seeing the categories and choices on psynews. I just feel time has evolved from only including the usual "Best CD" release.

As I said it's your choice but I still hope it's ok I speak my concerns? And maybe things can be done different next time. After all why have these votes if only a small part of music out there is allowed to be voted for?

OK, I have a random idea on simplifying this process. It's just an untested suggestion so don't stone me, OK?

We have discogs. As mentioned, releases are added there almost instantly. Anyone can do it. If a release is worthwhile, it will be there soon.

And they have the API to query to database.

Would it be feasible to let people type in discogs release numbers? Then check from the queries if it was released in year X, and possibly whether it has goa, psy-trance, downtempo, ambient, dub or something in its genre fields. If not, add it to a manual checking list.

Yes, I might be willing to do some of this coding. To me it sounds more appealing than a lot of manual harvesting work every year.

Maybe I missed it, but have you specified when the deadline for voting is yet, Mars?

It's written on the bestof sessions page. End of February.

OK, I have a random idea on simplifying this process. It's just an untested suggestion so don't stone me, OK?

We have discogs. As mentioned, releases are added there almost instantly. Anyone can do it. If a release is worthwhile, it will be there soon.

And they have the API to query to database.

Why would I stone you? This is constructive, and serves the majority's interests.

Another member pointed me at this API during december, while I had already coded a lot of the current system. I thought that was very convenient and easy to query. However I couldn't see a release search by music stle or release type (which I needed), so I was unsure to achieve what I wanted, and it was likely to become more undo/redo stuff for me. Now we have 1 year to test that, and that's not a hard retrofitting. Know however my app is written in JavaEE.

Voted! Thanks for the trouble Mars! :-)

Ahah!!

BTW I added the releases you guys requested, except EP's, and except "Proton Kinoun - Apeiron" and "Freeform Human - Arnika" which were already present.

Hi Mars ,

it's giving me an error , it shows up as following :

error on line 2 at column 2: StartTag: invalid element name

This error is solved guys, you can get back to Chrome or Safari!