Older Tracks

ouroboros

30 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of older tracks in a mix/set?

• as long as its good i dont care how old a track is
    • no....only play new stuff, ive heard that crap before

so,

i was just wondering. whenever i go out to a party, i hardly know any of whats being played. seems the dj's here like to play only really new stuff. i listen to a lot of psytrance, but ill admit...i dont make a point of keeping up with every new release out there. i have a decent amout of music, but im typicaly behind a few months. i like to make mixes (just finished a darkpsy one i like a lot) but i tend to mix old stuff and new....as long as the styles match and the production quality is good...i dont have a problem hearing older tracks.

what do you think?

I want to hear good music. I don't care whether it's old or not, and if the production is good or not.

V.T.O.L. SQ is awful, but if a DJ spins it i'm going to lick his toes right after his set. That goes for dozens of oldschool classics.

I love it when you've been listening to a set and an old track comes in, it brings a nice nostalgic feel to it :)

As to why DJs don't do it I don't know but I think they should more. Maybe they are trying to keep modern artists happy, maybe they are jusst boring?

i should have also asked....

does anyone else have the same expierience? i mean that of only hearing new stuff at parties?

or is it just something that happens here?

Don't worry it happens everywhere.

Unfortunately.

I would guess most DJs don't even know/like the 90s sound.

They might know the great classics (Mahadeva, LSD, etc), but their "psytrance culture" is based on the 2k+ sound and that's all they will play.

When they speak about oldschool, they usually mean tracks that were made at the begining of the "new era".

does anyone else have the same expierience? i mean that of only hearing new stuff at parties?

it's the same here.

a notable exception was dj kraak at ozora festival who played some older psy tracks and even some goa (e.g. mahadeva). the crowd went wild like i've rarely seen before!

I've noticed this trend. Been ages since I heard proper old school (actually it was a party that I organised myself '06). There're lot of DJs which seem care more about the year than the quality...

Will organise an old school party soon again (before the year turns) here in Funland, stay tuned.

well yes most of the time everyone plays de "top 10 tracks of the month" and then discard them and move on (unless it's an oldschool set, I'm glad that there's still an oldschool culture in these parts of the World ;) ). The crazy thing is that most party goers are of the new generation so it's not even as if they'd get bored with an old tune cause chances are high that they are so new to the scene they haven't heard it before. I remember having been to a party a month ago, the DJ played Chi AD - Eye Am the I and it still ripped the dancefloor apart, even after all these years! I bet most people at the party were wondering where they could get their hands on that unreleased killa track, little did they know that it was made a decade ago and is widely available... ;)

happens to me almost any time when I hear a DJ set on a party

it's always new stuff that I don't know.

it has never been different though, so I'm used to it

there's just a handful of cases where the DJ played older tracks. Once there was Prex - S4 playing ... and once it was Silicon Sound - Onida ... and once it was Eat Static - Implant 2002 Update ... see, those cases are so scarce I even remember them ... there were a couple others too though ;)

still, it happens very rarely that I hear older tracks playing...

well yes most of the time everyone plays de "top 10 tracks of the month" and then discard them and move on (unless it's an oldschool set, I'm glad that there's still an oldschool culture in these parts of the World ;) ). The crazy thing is that most party goers are of the new generation so it's not even as if they'd get bored with an old tune cause chances are high that they are so new to the scene they haven't heard it before. I remember having been to a party a month ago, the DJ played Chi AD - Eye Am the I and it still ripped the dancefloor apart, even after all these years! I bet most people at the party were wondering where they could get their hands on that unreleased killa track, little did they know that it was made a decade ago and is widely available... ;)

its a concpiracy I tell you, and they most often, as i can see it, wanna play their own and friends and friends of friends music and killer hitz for ze pillz then to really give the psycurious people what they have dreamt about dancing to and Hearing in the H's sent without knowing it !! As Oopie and other all over not tooo old and bitter = boored can and do have parties playing your music with that vibe like quote. before[/i]. make it happen, and remember, if you welcome more people who has been infected by mushrooms and want more of that undescrible something, then the scene will grow in a positive direction like a mushroom growing out of the shit it needs to grow. funny eh