Worst samples ever?

psytones

I don't know if this type of topic has been posted before, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm OLD'ing.

Here's a topic inspired by a topic read in psymusic.co.uk:

Stumbled across this new release...

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/fam/fam1cd180.html

Try track 2...

Especially interested to know what female listeners think of this awful sample...could it be true????!

Actually, the whole package is totally shit...another for uninspired album cover....could this be the all round shittest release ever?

:lol:

Anyway, samples may play important roles to some people at some moments in space and time. So one off the top of my head right now would be:

.. the Attoya vs. OIL- Escaping the Bubble track on VA - Acid Transmission:

'their raping me!!! aaarrrrrhhhhhh their raping me!!!' - Mr gerison(?) from south park

funny but still alittle freaked if right moment right person

bring em' samples :clapping:

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Mr. Cosmosis, I know you occasioally roam these forums, and if you ever read this- that was unforgivable. My all time #1 in the samples hall of shame!

Runner ups are IM's sample on Dracul and the Darth Vader in a Shiva Shidapu track. For the better, I can't remember the track's name.

The junkie sample on Ominus' Toxic Brainwaves almost single handedly kills that otherwise gorgeous album for me.

The Power of the Dark side, Shiva Shidapou is the name. the track rock, what a climax hehe :posford:

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

A wood chuch would chuck all the wood a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood :lol::P

Which track/album is that from?

Can't they sometime do something classy? Don't they have any self respect? It's hard to think so.

Classy as?

Sorry but I completely disagree.

Of course many samples used in psy are cheesy and stupid, but not all of them.

A sample can make a good track even better.

What People Can Fly would be without the classic sample before the climax?

Or Lunar Civilization without the Arthur's Clarke sample?

Even samples unrelated with the music can be good, as long they are used in a good way.

Samples I dislike:

-Humorous samples in serious tracks

-Dead serious samples in humorous tracks

-ANY singing sample

-Cheesy drug samples (only the chessy ones)

-Love samples

In fact in many cases I wouldn't know if an artist is utilizing sample (as a technique) or not. They could have recorded them by themself as far as I know. I think the reason I don't like the way trance uses samples is because it is obvious it is a samples. For instance; they tend to use samples from famous movies and other well known sounds. It takes the edge of the music. It's like seeing the same actors/actresses in movies all over again. It's cheap.

In fact in many cases I wouldn't know if an artist is utilizing sample (as a technique) or not. They could have recorded them by themself as far as I know. I think the reason I don't like the way trance uses samples is because it is obvious it is a samples. For instance; they tend to use samples from famous movies and other well known sounds. It takes the edge of the music. It's like seeing the same actors/actresses in movies all over again. It's cheap.

I like the samples.... It gives something small to remember the track by like lyrics in pop tracks, without taking away from the music. In fact if the sample is well chosen, it may enhance the music, like in the UX album there's a lot of dark sci fi samples well used.

Sure some record their own samples, but no need when they were already scripted and recorded for movies quite well. It would be hard and probably have worse results.

I also think there's some irony or joking behind many of the samples and music, like they are usually absurd. We are mocking them by embracing them sort of thing.

I like the samples.... It gives something small to remember the track by like lyrics in pop tracks, without taking away from the music. In fact if the sample is well chosen, it may enhance the music, like in the UX album there's a lot of dark sci fi samples well used.

+1

I'm not a big fan of samples, they are very hard to get right but I think a lot of pie people have managed it. Some tracks have great samples, Genetic - Trancemission springs to mind as does Kaaya - Circular Sanctuary and Pleiadians - Moon In Your Window. Those samples really helped the tracks, fit well with the music and were not the focal point of the whole fucking track, nor were they repeated over and over again.

Samples I hate are Nystagmus (ALL) as they are the focal point of the music, go on far to long and stand out too much, for me.

Shitty drug samples, when done well drug samples can be done but most just sound like 13 year olds just discovering unsealed pills in their older sisters bag! My god 1200 Mics - This Is A Joint has we don't need no control & This is a joint samples which are repeated over and over again. Pure Hell :angry:

.. the Attoya vs. OIL- Escaping the Bubble track on VA - Acid Transmission:

'their raping me!!! aaarrrrrhhhhhh their raping me!!!' - Mr gerison(?) from south park

Agreed. In fact the whole horror-sample movement (and especially its screaming-sample sub-movement) is lame as hell IMO. See also Horror Place's Hobyah for a load of good tracks ruined by shitty samples.

Runner ups are IM's sample on Dracul

+1. Also the "patience, understanding, love" bit in The Shen is cringeworthy.

Regarding sample use generally, though, I generally think they're a good thing. Check out this for an example of how to use samples to good effect (and then check out the rest of the album).

e. but for the absolute worst offender, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Vegetal. For fuck's sake nobody wants to hear your fucking opinions.

1200 Mics manages to take embarassingly stupid drug samples to a whole new level...

Any speech sample repeated a million times (where "a million" means approximately >2) is an instant mood killer for me. Speech is all about advancing from one thing to another. People don't repeat the very same phrase ad infinitum. If they do, it's plain annoying. Applies 100% to music as well. This was a real plague in tracker music scene, when sample space was seriously limited. When someone found a cool vocal bit, it was used "a few more times", just to make sure that it was worth its kilobytes. Happens a lot in commercial music too, unfortunately.

Was it Etnica's Trip Tonight remix on Hell's Kitchen 12" which had that near-incomprehensible mumble? When I first heard it on a mixtape, I was 100% sure it was a terrible DJ voiceover recorded in a tiny booth. I still don't believe it really belongs to that track.

Yep, Toxic Brainwaves could have done without that stupid sample. On the other hand, I really liked Tribalistic. One of the best speech-enhanced breakdowns right after Aeternum's Chainsaw.

A wood chuch would chuck all the wood a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood :lol::P

Which track/album is that from?

It is a track from "Trancedance", but I cannot remember the name right now. I'd remember if I went and heard some samples, but I don't feel like it right now :rolleyes:

Some more irritating samples: Chakra's Brain In The Box track, with all those annoying brain in the box lines, Chi A.D.'s Healing Magic, which has a never ending inauguration speech by some shaman. Shut the hell up, please!