The Best Psychill Albums of All Time

Chillseeker

yeah :)

that's the same as putting everything thats psychedelic and trance under the name psytrance :lol:

Hehe... unless you're being sarcastic I disagree a bit.

It's just that the term 'psychill' originated in the psytrance scene (afaik) and that it refers to a certain type of music, which is kind of hard to define.

Because, all things considered, the downtempo that Electrypnose (who is a psytrance artist) made is much more related to IDM[bient] than to psychill ...

But for me, I don't find it hard to classify one form of chillout as psychill and the other as something else. The more warm, ethnic, dubby kind of chillout (just check out the recommendations in this thread) would be seen as 'psychill' (at least by me) and other things as something else.

Well... genres. For me it's just a way of reminding me of the direction the music goes (useful when dj-ing), it's not something fixed in concrete.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe... unless you're being sarcastic I disagree a bit.

well.. dunno what u mean with me being sarcastic

i dont find all psytrance psychedelic, true, most fullon and darkpsy is not psychedelic at all (imo :P)

I remember some 9-10 years ago I had difficulties categorizing this kind of music. Then the word Psychill nailed it down pretty well.

But Psychill had already its glorious moments, times change people and artists move on etc,..... thats a good think I guess. Like psytrance isnt psytrance at all anymore,.................

So its actually a more or less well defined period, and the recommendation for the best albums of all times fit this period pretty well imho.

• 10 months later...

01. Asura - Code Eternity (2000)

02. Elve - Infinite Garden (2006)

03. H.U.V.A. Network - Distances (2004)

04. Asura - Life Squared (2007)

05. Aes Dana - Memory Shell (2004)

06. Aes Dana - Season 5 (2003)

07. Optica - All The Colours Of The Rainbow (1995)

08. Solar Fields - Leaving Home (2005)

09. H.U.V.A. Network - Ephemeris (2009)

10. Carbon Based Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers (2006)

anyways, if u want trippy chillout tunes

m² - War of Sound

m² - Aswad

VA - Amberdelic Space

Optica - All The Colours Of The Rainbow

William Orbit - Strange Cargo III

(can't think of anything else atm)

but then again.. darker material is alot more trippy than this stuff :)

Nice to see someone mentioning stuff from good old Kinetix label. :)

Also, check out Optic Eye (= Optica).

So far (have tons left to listen to!) some stuff that I remember really liking....

Shakatura - Shakatura / Glactivation

Solar Fields - Movements

Distant System - Spiral Empire

Padmasana - A Universal Consciousness

Ishq - Orchid

Entheogenic - Entheogenic

Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

Aural Planet - Lightflow (probably their other albums too)

Healer - Wonderground

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden

Carbon Based Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers ... the problem with these 2 is 1/2 the tracks are just filler material.

01. Asura - Code Eternity (2000)

02. Elve - Infinite Garden (2006)

03. H.U.V.A. Network - Distances (2004)

04. Asura - Life Squared (2007)

05. Aes Dana - Memory Shell (2004)

06. Aes Dana - Season 5 (2003)

07. Optica - All The Colours Of The Rainbow (1995)

08. Solar Fields - Leaving Home (2005)

09. H.U.V.A. Network - Ephemeris (2009)

10. Carbon Based Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers (2006)

You like your ultimae then :P No room for E2xtended by Solar Fields?

Ok i'll start with those who have been already quoted in the topic & are probably the most famous artist in the genre:

The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled ?

Entheogenic - Entheogenic

i mention the 1st one as its the debut one but indeed i could have choosen too the remix album or their second opus too.

Ott - Hallucinogen in Dub

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation

Mainly the second cd of course, even i'm not fond of all tunes but the first 4 ones plus Blue Galaxie at the end of 1st cd are quite amazing!

Now let's continue with a bit less known projects :

Galaxy - Science Of Ecstasy

the Boris Blenn Chill side, this album was on Chillcode

Taruna - World Fusion

exotic & warm coloured psychill released on S.S.T

Abakus - That Much Closer to the sun

Liquid Stranger - The Invisible Conquest

The project of a former Necton member which was always connected & inspired, influenced with Dub even in his Necton's tune, released on Interchill.

Chilling Matenda - Mediteran

I remember peple were quite shared about it, but i consider the album name caracterizes correctly what Denis wanted to do here musically & even for some it's too loungy or housey sounding, i found it out quite genuine for the style :clapping: ; released on Global Phonehead records (Matenda's own label).

Kick Bong - A Cup of Tea?

One of the few french genuine chill producer, this one is his debut album on Ultra Vista, sounding darker to the psychill norm.

Human Blue - Diskovery Channel

Wasn't amazed at first when listening, it only grows on me much later on with time...released on Chillcode.

Kaya Project - & so it goes

It's probable he's done other or better chill album before this one, but i'm fond of the electic influenced direction taken here, very acoustic also, released on Interchill.

Kuba - How The future Sounded

With Kuba , honestly i've heard some cheesy stuffs from the guy on compilations & was quite suspicious about how he could cook a good album...

This one is pretty ok for me :posford:

I finish with Ganja Beats - Paradise & Tranquility

released on Organic, this one is a bit special for me as Jake Stephenson passed out soon after the release. I was sad coz the artist never benefits of a big notoriety despite some good tracks he produced by the past including Indiggo Egg's collaboration. And strangely for this chil-dub emotionnal album, very good for me, it was the same, very few feedback all over the boards... :huh:

EDIT Not sure it's fully considered as psy chill never mind, i think back to Jens Buchert with his down tempo release on Plusquam Fruit Machine which was quality material :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite psy cchill album is quite old Tribal Drift - Collective journeys but one of the reasons I love it is because although it's old I still pull it out to have a listen from time to time it's funky yet chilled at the same time (the best album for magic mushrooms I've ever known) you can put it on and listen to the whole album without feeling the need to skip a single track and it has some quality didgeridoo playing from Cyrung on it. a forgotten classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what has already been mentioned, and would like to add:

Padmasana - Padmasana

The Padmasana album is Gio's (aka Makyo) best work and it's simply amazing, especially the second track. Mushroom music.

Adham Shaikh - Fusion

Varied and far from the generic standard psychill sound, and yet familiar vibes.

Digital Mystery Tour - Digital Mystery Tour

Total Eclipse magic

Evan Marc & Steve Hillage - Dreamtime Submersible

Bluetech vs System 7, one of the best coops I've ever heard

Anahata - The Unmade Sound

Beautiful and emotional melodic ambient

My favourite psy cchill album is quite old Tribal Drift - Collective journeys but one of the reasons I love it is because although it's old I still pull it out to have a listen from time to time it's funky yet chilled at the same time (the best album for magic mushrooms I've ever known) you can put it on and listen to the whole album without feeling the need to skip a single track and it has some quality didgeridoo playing from Cyrung on it. a forgotten classic.

I love The Void but the rest is not that great imo.

You like your ultimae then :P No room for E2xtended by Solar Fields?

Extended is definately my favourite Ultimae so far :wub:

Other than that there are just so many releases I desperately need to listen to before I give a 'real' verdict on this one... Just now I have 'Hicksville', 'Midnight Soul Dive', 'The alchemy Concept' and 'Elementary Particles' sitting around waiting to be listened to and I know that if I try setting some of my favs down here now then everything could easily have changed by only next week.

From my reluctant and uninformed perspective though I really love Rena Jones' 'Driftwood', both of the 'Oxycanta' albums, Shpongle (all three) and 'Spiral Empire'. These are all albums that I just come back to again and again and still find they havn't lost their magic.

Does Trentemoller - The Last Resort count?

I'm sure Evan Marc and Steve Hillage's Dreamtime Submersibles does. It certainly gets the baby off to sleep, as does Mirror System.

Soul Vibration 1, Peaking Goddess and Kaya Project are all getting plenty of play at the moment...

Aes Dana - Season 5

Boards of Canada - Geodaddi (i think that's more than fair play for this category)

Hol Bauman - Human

Miles Tilman - 3D Concepts Part II

Elemental Journey Vol2

Our Sleepless Forest - Debut

that's a partial list...