Reviews

amphiton

With absence of RAH and DP, with Basilisk busy developing and promoting Ektoplazm, there are too few reviews. I started reviewing and began with Troll Scientists and M.E.E.O., they are not the best albums, but surely deserve being noticed. I want to continue and encourage others to write reviews :)

Before that, I'd like to know what you people think about reviews in general, expect from them, how do you see them and, well, do you even need and read them?

Who joins the New Review Alliance? :posford:

:unsure:

With absence of RAH and DP, with Basilisk busy developing and promoting Ektoplazm, there are too few reviews. I started reviewing and began with Troll Scientists and M.E.E.O., they are not the best albums, but surely deserve being noticed. I want to continue and encourage others to write reviews :)

Before that, I'd like to know what you people think about reviews, expect from them, how do you see them and, well, do you even need and read them?

I read both of your reviews amphition. I like when I get the impression that real effort was put into coming up with track comments, and both of your reviews seem well thought out. I have not commented on neither one because I haven't heard the albums. But, overall, I quite enjoyed reading both.

I refered a lot with the review for a first contact, or after my first listening of an album. I think it's really important to share our different point of vue, and make it interesting to open ears differently as can do another listener.

Yes you have to continue to review album of course, i encourage everybody to do some, and big thanx to the people participated to put word on music.

About me, i tried, but i have lot off difficulties to talk about the music, not enought knowledge in music creation and difficulties with the english, but i will try some other review soon :).

Mine is Goasia album, but i saw some people do it better than me.

I like a review not too long, lets say 20 lines or so... :)

Also, I think it is important to say how it sounds like, and compare them with other groups so you know what to expect (this is very important as words as "this is a masterpiece" are meaningless if you don't know what type of music it is!)

and I will write some reviews soon as well :)

yeah, kind of s shame a number of us stopped the whole review process . After that, I've honestly started to loose a little faith in them as they can be so subjective, so like Anoebis pointed out, comparing what you are reviewing to other material is very useful.

Not only that, but i also think the shorter a review is the better. I don't know you, but after i stopped writing long-intricate reviews, i stopped reading them as well. I can't seem to hold my concentration long enough to read through the whole thing. It's also basically how humans look at web pages, we scan things, we jump around, we go back and forward, but is very hard to keep the concentration on something for longer than 15-30 seconds. I do realize sometimes with compilations and the such it's hard not mentioning each track. Sometimes it's equally hard to write down 3 and 4 four lines for some random play. So i don't know just my two cents in the water regarding this matter. I could put this into practice do it myself, and sometimes i do run into one or two albums i just feel like shouting about and writing a review, but i never get around it. <_<

I'd like to write some reviews, but first I don't have the money to buy the new albums and second I'm lazy...

Not exactly a good combination, eh? Only maybe two or three times a year there's the case where I buy an album and am seriously eager to review it at least in some way...

When I get the $6000 I'm owed I'm planning on buying a tiny tiny laptop that I can take out into the forest & even just to the park I'll be able to write outside (also planning on writing a book) so I'll probably write more.

I know I wrote probably overly detailed reviews that very few read right through but to be honest I couldn't give a shit if no one reads them. Reviewing an album really helps me understand it more. I also write a paragraph before a detailed track by track description & a paragraph summing it up. If people don't want to read about the tracks they can just read those two. That's what I usually do if I don't have the time or patience to read everything.

f people don't want to read about the tracks they can just read those two. That's what I usually do if I don't have the time or patience to read everything.

Yes, exactly. And that's why I like good-formated articles, posts and reviews - you are able to track down the needed part, read it and leave the stuff you aren't interested in.

Before that, I'd like to know what you people think about reviews in general, expect from them, how do you see them and, well, do you even need and read them?

I'm back with reviewing almost (very busy), still have to post my first (next Belgian release), not totally finished...

it has been a year If I remember correctly but it'll come...

one good hint (my imo), Never never ask people what they think about your reviews, you'll stop directly...

psyscéne is criticism and reviewing is done for free so it sucks getting gossip and shit

over your head for doing something for free and thinking people will appreciate it...

mostly that's the reason why people stop...

then again:

count me in ;)

I'm still reviewing stuff. Been reviewing since 01, don't know if I've managed to get any better at explaining my opinions though. I'm mostly reviewing old stuff I'm lucky to cross roads with, I'm having big big trouble keeping up with the new wave of psychedelic trance records though.

I don't know, reviews of old records might be boring due to the fact you might not be able to find them anymore. Still, the Tribadelic Meltdown EP got almost 400 hits so there is obviously people reading it... or at least clickin' the link frenetically (hope not).

If you are doing reviews for the purpose of giving it to the masses then I think it's warranted to ask if what one is doing is good or bad, because you wouldn't want to waste energy on something that in the end people don't like anyway. I don't know how many do that in this forum.

I was gonna start a new topic but ill just post on this.

I reckon we should have some kind of double review system.

The original would remain, with in detail track by track reviews as well as other guidelines.

The second would be maybe a subfolder with just "member's opinions" where people could drop by their thoughts about each album they hear without having to do a full review.

A short paragraph on general thoughts and impressions would be enouhg for a lot of average albums...

My 2 cents. Discuss!

I started to review Human Blue's latest album but I just can't find the words :( Long detailed tracks, my English isn't that good. Lots of work to do, anyway. If you need a well-formated template - pm me.

I think Opus Iridium will be the next :)

• 5 weeks later...

When I read a review I generally want to know a few simple things: is it anything like the artist's previous work, or--if the artist is new--where are they from and what is their approach? What is the overall sound of the album? What are the good tracks? Does it all hang together and leave a lasting impression? What is the intended audience? And finally--are there any defects in the manufacturing process, mastering, artwork, track listing, etc. I really like knowing what tracks stand out... but all these other concerns are important as well.

Generally I try to provide all this stuff in my own reviews (when I have the time to write them)... now that school is almost over I hope to have more time for reviews :)

reminds me of the old system, which was nice to check fast...

Maybe this summer I'll do a few reviews again. Never did many and could use a clean patern, because before I always seemed to use a different structure...

I'm starting to enjoy the more old system too, my latest 2 reviews are shorter,

I guess not too short,

just the basic info, al the rest is influenced by taste and like you say doesn't take long to read and

at the end the reader has an actual idea where this release is coming from and going too...