goa gil and the rest of the world

thorn726

I really don't want to get me wrong guys. I'm not a Goa Gil follower but I respect this man for what he believes and does.

The real question is this:

If Goa Gil had the exact same attitude, the exact same dj skills, the exact same popularity, the exact same...enerything but played the music you do like, do you still have the same opinion about him?

Whatever you guys answer I will believe you.

HA

i was being careful with my post as like i said here in SF area , saying anything bad about Gil is asking for an hour of lecture from these nerds

but i am trying to get accuyrate replies, without putting anyone down.

to be completely honest i think Gil plays one awesome track after another but the non mix kills me, i get really into dancing to a track and the best thing about electronica is the smooth mix into an even bettter track. Gil likes to just slam you to the ground-

"this track is OVER"

i also am not too fond of the "only i will play or no party", seems counterproductive to the community idea

BUT if he is a total gods to some people, maybe they really need it to be that way.

i know one party out here was cancelled because some of the party organizers wanted to spin, Gil said him only or no show.

at least i wish he would slove the mix problem already, transfer his dats to wavs (a computer can easily play the fregging 48000 sampled tracks, as if really anyone can hear 44 vs 48) ghet a huge hard drive and mix with a proggy.

a few years ago not wanting to go mp3 was a good excuse to jkeep up the dat nonsense, now it is jsut he's too lazy to switch the tracks over to computer.

i'd still see him locally , and maybe even travel a little ways, because he always has the great music (the dj vs artist thread has points on that)

but he never struck me as a holy man.

there's no modesty, no humility, and you have to pay him big bucks to see him.

that's like about as holy as the pope is.

funny so of you actually don't like his music either?

i guess he can be pretty dark and heavy. don't thin ki have caught him for a couple years so no idea what he's like now.

i never had much prob with the music, although, yeah, pretty heavy, i still liked many many tracks played.

the slam wreck mixes really bothered me though.

Let's admit it man. If Goa Gil didn't play Dark Psy this discussion would be a lot different.

Ormion, i wouldn't waste energy on differing opinions, your points were well taken

but it kinda looks like you are letting it offend you personally that others don't like Gil.

i think you are illustrating what i experience, that you are NOT ALLOWED not to like this guy, that you must respect him as a performer above all else. i like his music, i just don't like him that much, his attitude of "only me"

the random trashing , ehh ,whatever , it's not what i'm asking about.

part of the Gil experience is apparently the darkness, so you can't separate it.

anyway

i am more interested in what people in other places who like Gil think, don't really need to sit here and bash the poor guy, in the early days he was just about the only good act we had here.

that's like about as holy as the pope is.

a wise and accurate sentence :)

I think likewise. Gil is no holy man. But he is cooler than the pope...

Tracks he spins quite good ones. I like the style. Wouldn't listen to that stuff at home, but on a party why not. I haven't seen Gil spinning yet and I'm not that desperate for it, but one day if he's in town I'll probably go...

And I'm curious if the mixing really is that bad...

oh btw:

i know one party out here was cancelled because some of the party organizers wanted to spin, Gil said him only or no show.

^that's pretty freakin' arrogant ... wouldn't have expected that from him ... that's not shanti at all...

oh btw:

^that's pretty freakin' arrogant ... wouldn't have expected that from him ... that's not shanti at all...

i wouldnt say its arrogant, despite me not thinking this guy is something special, a deal is a deal, and if people dont know his playing style and dont agree with it, then they shouldnt invite him. that works like that everywhere, ie, with every agreement, if you want to change something then ask for it to be granted, if not, forget.

i wouldnt say its arrogant, despite me not thinking this guy is something special, a deal is a deal, and if people dont know his playing style and dont agree with it, then they shouldnt invite him. that works like that everywhere.

That's true

I'm not too crazy about dark psy due to my own personal taste, but objectively speaking Goa Gil has some good tunes, whether you like that style or not. I don't, but with a blindfold on I can imagine the crowd going berserk during his DJ sets.

As many others, I respect his general output and influence in the scene, I find his whole figure somewhat funny and weird, I even (to a certain extent) find his music very suitable for some quality partying & dancing, but for fuck's sake: Goa Gil has got to be THE single worst DJ to have evargh come across the decks and a mixer!!! The man cannot paste two tracks together with some super glue. His mixing, or at least that is what it should be, is horrendous, and that is putting it politely.

I have a lot of respect for Gil, he makes and plays fantastic music (he was responsible for my favourite albums of both 2005 and 2006), though I have heard stories about him acting like a twat from a few sources. As for his mixing, I've never heard him play live but the mixing on Karmageddon is some of the best I've heard.

I really don't want to get me wrong guys. I'm not a Goa Gil follower but I respect this man for what he believes and does.

The real question is this:

If Goa Gil had the exact same attitude, the exact same dj skills, the exact same popularity, the exact same...enerything but played the music you do like, do you still have the same opinion about him?

Whatever you guys answer I will believe you.

its not just the music he plays its his whole "cyber saddhu" thing that i just think is really cheesy at this point. I think that was cool when psytrance was goa, it fit. Now its just stupid. "old hippy fake holy man playing quasi gabber psytrance, praise shiva".

its not just the music he plays its his whole "cyber saddhu" thing that i just think is really cheesy at this point. I think that was cool when psytrance was goa, it fit. Now its just stupid. "old hippy fake holy man playing quasi gabber psytrance, praise shiva".

I don't follow this at all. If you think that Gil is fake now, did you not think he was fake when he played Goa? Why shouldn't an old hippy holy man play darkpsy? They seem to go pretty well together to me.

i think i like you folks a lot more than the psy people i've met here in SF.

what made the party cancelling arrogant was supposedly Gil wanted to do a party, said "hey i'll play this date if you give me a space"

so promoters got it together, would have had a few djs play besides him , forget if it was before him or after, but only for like a few hours, giving him 24+ to spin.

he said him only or no party. ehh, i guess people do sorta know that going into things with him, but it still seemed lame. the people telling me about it were a bit disappointed for sure, or i wouldn't know it happened, and these were people who are supposed to be friends with him

Goa Gil™

He was in Ukraine this summer, I wasn't there, but I've read comments and spoken with people that saw that gig.

At night he plays ~180bpm (no kiddin) unreleased, unmastered raw tracks that may appear in some net-releases with terror psy death or whatever covers, in the daytime it's the usual 148 'dark'.

But the truth is, most of the people have a good time at his parties, I will agree with pr0fane - that's what really counts =)

I don't follow this at all. If you think that Gil is fake now, did you not think he was fake when he played Goa? Why shouldn't an old hippy holy man play darkpsy? They seem to go pretty well together to me.

You could expect a better music from a grown up person but perhaps after a certain age a degradation occurs. Raja Ram degraded to cheesy full on and Goa Gil degraded to random noise full on.

The difference now though is back in the day he didnt seem to have so much of the "guru" feel to him. It was more he was cool because with his position he could get tons of unreleased stuff when "unreleased" was a big deal. At this point though its not about his music, the music he plays is utter shit while back in the day he did play the absolute best psy released or not. People go to see him now for this little cult of personality he has going, thats what I assume the thread starter is talking about with people getting defensive if you say he blows.

You could expect a better music from a grown up person but perhaps after a certain age a degradation occurs. Raja Ram degraded to cheesy full on and Goa Gil degraded to random noise full on.

Darkpsy is not random noise. If it sounds that way to you then that is because you don't understand it.

At this point though its not about his music, the music he plays is utter shit while back in the day he did play the absolute best psy released or not. People go to see him now for this little cult of personality he has going, thats what I assume the thread starter is talking about with people getting defensive if you say he blows.

Based on the CDs he has made recently, IMO he still does play the absolute best psy released. You're entitled to your own opinion on the kind of music he plays nowadays, but don't go round assuming that everyone who goes to see Gil play does so because of his personality cult, that's just insulting. Lots of people love the music he plays.

Darkpsy is not random noise. If it sounds that way to you then that is because you don't understand it.

Based on the CDs he has made recently, IMO he still does play the absolute best psy released. You're entitled to your own opinion on the kind of music he plays nowadays, but don't go round assuming that everyone who goes to see Gil play does so because of his personality cult, that's just insulting. Lots of people love the music he plays.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but so far it's you against two,

and I have to agree with pavel and slyman, his music sucks, darkpsy sucks!

I myself went to see him performing 3 years ago, just to see the legendary "Goa Gill" but certainty not for his music which sucked ass

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but so far it's you against two,

Damn. Everybody knows that the number of people who like music is directly proportional to its quality - I mean, just look at the great records that make it to number one in the charts every week. I guess darkpsy sucks after all.

<_<

Damn. Everybody knows that the number of people who like music is directly proportional to its quality - I mean, just look at the great records that make it to number one in the charts every week. I guess darkpsy sucks after all.

<_<

Majority is never right. But in this case it is

Dark Psy equals Full On minus cheese plus random FM noise.

pavel youre full of shite on this matter :D go stick to your buddies created killar music and keep on slagging off "dark psy" :D im sure, your mind would change dramatically if some day all of your friends would start to make killargh dark psy :P