goa gil and the rest of the world

thorn726

ok so this is the big gil birthday weekend, obviously i'm not there, ehh, too far, too many other things to do.

so i wonder is Goa Gil this life changing force that he appears to be here?

seems like a good part of the US and especially here in SF area, 9 out of 10 trancers will say Gil was what got them into it, at the very least.

i was more or less already into it, but at the time Gil was pretty much THE dj here, most people had more like hard trance stuff, he was the one with the goa. (not entirely , but for the most part)

no doubt, years later i have been to a few parties and he definitely throws out one awesome track after another, he's got the goods always.

for me well to make this sound as stupid as possible, after jerry garcia died one of the big draws to electronic music for me was that there was no one person that could die and bring it all to a grinding halt.

hard to explain exactly, but as an idiot deadhead i let the GD be like the only ones i wanted to see play, and first off being into dancing and liking trance, electronic music seemed great because you didn't have that "this guy is the guy"

when i went to this gil party here in a Berkeley co-op, yes for sure, that was somewhat life changing. first real party i went to, yeah.

but before long, plenty of other djs had tons of killer music also.

So i guess i don't quite understand this fascination people have with this guy. isn't he just a man? is he actually some sort of holy person to some of you?

seems like people have very short conversations with him and feel like everything is better in their life, there must be something to that..

i'm not "spiritual", and i am like i said jaded by giving rockstars power so i didn't see all this mystical stuff others were getting.

So i'm wondering these days is Goa Gil still many folks first real party or party that finally showed them what this music is supposed to sound like?

with all these other awesome talents out there is a Gil party much different to you from any other?

or is there some sort of ritual experience that you can still only get from Gil?

does he even mean half of this to people in the rest of the world>?

do other people have similar status these days?

ollie wisdom seemed like he was almost that popular for awhile there...

how would you compare Hallucinogen to Gil?

if you understand what i mean by the Goa Gil experience many seem to get,

do you get it , where are you, and is there any other act having a similar effect??

worse, what happens when he retires or dies? or is he not going to die?

if you haven't seen him do you feel like your life will be incomplete if you don't ?

i'd put him in my top 5 that i would not miss in SF, i've seen him play 24 hours, worth it.

but that's about as far as it goes for me.

so yeah, i'm wondering, outside the SFarea, what is the Gil status?

God/ prophet-

excellent dj-

what?

As I see it, he's nothing more than a spiritual brand, and certainly not a good DJ.

But at the end of the day, people have great time at his parties, and that's what counts. You like him? Fine with me :)

I use to love his top 10s from 2002 on back, totally in sync with my taste. To me at this point though the stuff he plays is just fucking stupid. I wouldn't even go see him if he came around. I think his whole image is kind of laughable at this point and very very cheesey.

I'm guessing that all this harsh talk about him is because he's playing dark music, huh?

First of all, he might be the only one in the scene that still sees the music as a spiritual experience and not as a clubby music made for clubby ppl to dance in clubs.

Second, his djs skill is awesome. He's one of the few djs out there that have realized that a change between two tracks must not be overlong or overserious.

Third, he's an excellent producer. His last album Primal Meltdown is simply superb.

Fourth, he doesn't play Goa anymore (unfortunately) but he doesn't play stupid, clubby progressive or full on shit!

Goa Gil, Respect!

Hahahaha

Huhuhuhu

edit: Okay that' not mature :)

But really, I hate all this professional djing thing with djs try sooo hard to change from one track to the next one. Who cares? Just put the next track and go grab a coffee.

For me what it matters in a dj is his music selection and not how much professional his mix sounds.

I'm guessing that all this harsh talk about him is because he's playing dark music, huh?

First of all, he might be the only one in the scene that still sees the music as a spiritual experience and not as a clubby music made for clubby ppl to dance in clubs.

Second, his djs skill is awesome. He's one of the few djs out there that have realized that a change between two tracks must not be overlong or overserious.

Third, he's an excellent producer. His last album Primal Meltdown is simply superb.

Fourth, he doesn't play Goa anymore (unfortunately) but he doesn't play stupid, clubby progressive or full on shit!

Goa Gil, Respect!

You know not everything is black and white. And not everything that is not hardcore super psychedelic stuff is clubby. About him being a dj with good skills... Well never mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know not everything is black and white. And not everything that is not hardcore super psychedelic stuff is clubby..

Of course not anything is black and white but the style he now plays is anything but clubby. You can hate it, you can believe it's stupid but it's not clubby.

About him being a dj with good skills... Well never mind

Define whats a good dj. I already wrote whta a good dj is for me. A dj that only cares about the selections of the tracks and the order to play them. I don't give a damn about the changes! :)

Of course not anything is black and white but the style he now plays is anything but clubby. You can hate it, you can believe it's stupid but it's not clubby.

Define whats a good dj. I already wrote whta a good dj is for me. A dj that only cares about the selections of the tracks and the order to play them. I don't give a damn about the changes! :)

The music he plays is not clubby, it's crappy. If you want to hear what is proper dj mixing head over the dj promotion section and dig sets by Nemo, Basilisk or Profane. Should answer your question.

i dont get the thing with beatmatching either...i mean on allmost all goa tracks the outro is beatless and quite long...just mix the intro in there and you are done...

i dont know how goa gil does it (never heard the guy,weird I know) but it cant be THAT bad....

worst djing is when they cut the track on the climax and put something else....FUCK

Afaik, Gil is not playing at many of the bigger events that, say, Posford plays at these days. I am pretty sure he is very active as a dj, having a filled schedule, but not in the "major league". So no, I don't think he is enjoying the same (commercial) status as some of the other bigger performers out there.

That's because he demands to be the only act on the lineup.

Afaik, Gil is not playing at many of the bigger events that, say, Posford plays at these days. I am pretty sure he is very active as a dj, having a filled schedule, but not in the "major league". So no, I don't think he is enjoying the same (commercial) status as some of the other bigger performers out there.

Not exactly. He insists that he'll be the only dj in the bill. So the chance you'll catch him in a festival is minuscule

A-la Goa Gil

Aha, I get it! You've never listened a mix by Gil, have you?

You can say anything about his skill but he never cut a track in its climax!!!!!

No more belly-talk plz!

One more thing: the reason it seems he's the only act in a festival it's beacuse his sets last for hours and hours.

Goa Gil, Respect!

Posted Image

OMG!!! :blink:

I fuckin forgot the golden rule of Psynews.org!!!

YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE DARK OR FULL ON MUSIC!!!

Quite a statement from a user who was badmouthing full on just a few posts ago...

OMG!!! :blink:

I fuckin forgot the golden rule of Psynews.org!!!

YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE DARK OR FULL ON MUSIC!!!

Of course you are allowed. Just be prepared to get mocked that's all. There's good full-on btw. I'm sure there's also good dark although that people that do it insist that their music is not dark (Ocelot for example). His music rocks but he hates that term.

I like Full On

I like Dark

I like Goa

I like some of Proggy

I like Suomi

I like Freestyle

I dislike only minimal and clubby shit

But I have never, never, never, never got in a discussion just to write some words.

Let's admit it man. If Goa Gil didn't play Dark Psy this discussion would be a lot different.

Let's admit it man. If Goa Gil didn't play Dark Psy this discussion would be a lot different.

Admitting. There are bad djs that play good music. Simon Posford gave a Shpongle dj set here a month ago. His skills range from ok to annoying. But the music was out of this world (mostly his stuff from different projects, not only Shpongle).