New Forum Rule.

NEMO.BOFH

Dear Psynewsers,

It has been brought to our attention that certain ex-members are not happy with what is said about them on this forum, and are threatening to file a lawsuit against the owner of the forum and its moderators. As we can not control each and every thread for "slander" we will have to trust in that you wont slander any member or ex-member. If we see that someone is slandering a member or ex-member it will result in immediate temporary ban.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope that you understand the seriousness about this.

Thank you all for your support!!

Regards,

The Psynews Team

P.s. Please do not speculate in which members would have complained or threatening to sue, that would count as slandering as well. D.s

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Psynewsers,

It has been brought to our attention that certain ex-members are not happy with what is said about them on this forum, and are threatening to file a lawsuit against the owner of the forum and its moderators. As we can not control each and every thread for "slander" we will have to trust in that you wont slander any member or ex-member. If we see that someone is slandering a member or ex-member it will result in immediate temporary ban.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope that you understand the seriousness about this.

Thank you all for your support!!

Regards,

The Psynews Team

P.s. Please do not speculate in which members would have complained or threatening to sue, that would count as slandering as well. D.s

Shit. I will try my best.

Damn, no fun. What exactly are the borders for slandering? Does calling people candy ravers or stating their paycheck online considered slandering? How about insulting dead artists? Does that count as slandering? :blink:

Damn, no fun. What exactly are the borders for slandering? Does calling people candy ravers or stating their paycheck online considered slandering? How about insulting dead artists? Does that count as slandering? :blink:

My lawyer is currently looking into the international laws of it, its a very fuzzy for the EU. Calling someone names would be slandering though, yes.

Is that a joke or something.

"It has been brought to our attention that certain ex-members are not happy with what is said about them on this forum, and are threatening to file a lawsuit against the owner of the forum and its moderators."

That must be a joke.

Is it :unsure:

Is that a joke or something.

"It has been brought to our attention that certain ex-members are not happy with what is said about them on this forum, and are threatening to file a lawsuit against the owner of the forum and its moderators."

That must be a joke.

Is it :unsure:

The lawsuit is not, the one behind it is.

Wow I didn't know u could file a lawsuit against a forum for what members might say there. What happened to the free world (and yes I know thats just an illusion), but this seems a bit weird. but I guess I can learn new stuff every day ;)

Pretty weird some would do this though... :unsure:

I assume ex-member=banned member. It's usually the least honorable people who are most eager to defend their honor. Threatening forums with lawsuits seems to be the popular thing to do nowadays (because just mentioning it causes admins to do whatever they ask). It's often a desperate move to defend reputation that has already been lost due to their own actions. Now, given that I don't know the details or even who we're talking about, it could be that someone has actually been seriously slandered, but somehow I doubt it.

I assume ex-member=banned member. It's usually the least honorable people who are most eager to defend their honor. Threatening forums with lawsuits seems to be the popular thing to do nowadays (because just mentioning it causes admins to do whatever they ask). It's often a desperate move to defend reputation that has already been lost due to their own actions. Now, given that I don't know the details or even who we're talking about, it could be that someone has actually been seriously slandered, but somehow I doubt it.

yes. it seems to be the trend.

Is it not libel rather than slander when written on a forum?

that is also correct. it is libel and not slander. common word for it amongst people that that don't know the law is slander, though.

ok about slander

paris hilton cannot sue us for making fun of her. these people threatening to sue have volunteered themselves into being public figures by posting in a public forum. they can only take it up with the people posting not the forum itself. but i understand that nobody wants to deal with a lawsuit (even if you guys would win of course)

and its libel by the way, unless you guys are dictating into the machine!

there is also the context of people getting themselves all this negative publicity. all that can be proven within the threads...but who wants to hire a lawyer and waste all this time anyway!

That's a shame.

shame indeed, but i can understand that someone after seeing countless name callings and insults into his own address by some certain members here on a regular basis and in every given opportunity to do so would feel quite helpless and thus could consider legal actions against the forum as only way to end with bashing and name calling ;)

this is so ridiculous, it's funny... :drama:

indeed, somehow...

I mean, sorry, how can somebody sue the owner of a forum when a member slandered somebody? How stupid is that? Why not sueing the member who was slandering instead? That would at least make a bit of sense...

bureaucracy lawsuit head shot :rolleyes:

indeed, somehow...

I mean, sorry, how can somebody sue the owner of a forum when a member slandered somebody? How stupid is that? Why not sueing the member who was slandering instead? That would at least make a bit of sense...

bureaucracy lawsuit head shot :rolleyes:

drama.... :drama:

its a bit tricky, posting on public forums. Does that make you a public figure within the context of the forum? If so, then the suits have no merit and you could countersue... IANAL btw!

but i think its getting old though <_<

the best attack against an attention whore is silence! :lol: