What headphones do you use?

Snapinho

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sennheiser HD25-1 ($200)

I highly recommend them! since I've got these I dont feel like useing the others.

IMHO they're the best closed phones you can get, great sound and industrial build quality (every part is replaceable, not that anythings gonna break in the first place, in the 3 years I've had them only the ear pads have worn out) The best DJ headphones (sound quite all right with normal music too). Supra-aural Fit (sit on the ears)

damn right! .. i payed much more (norway - expencive Dj shop) :ph34r:

.. Only minus I have found so far is that about an hour of usage hurts my ears.

Sony MDR - 7509 simply the best!

Those were my first "nice" headphones. I liked them so much at the time I bought another pair after the first one broke. Listened with them for a few years altogether. If I'd only known what I was missing all that time. My tone knobs sure got a workout with 'em.

Posted Image

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_...eadphones_index

I wanted to buy them for so long. And now when I have money I can't find them in any local store.

<_< Cairo

Woohoo... I finally got these babiez.. B)

It's been 4 days. Sounds killargh! Highly Recommended...

Only problem is that you would want to listen to your whole collection again on these headphones. :)

Just don't know if I should go for home or out door phones... shure vs open construction ... hmmmmm

I find it's best to have both. I consider my home headphones another component of my stereo, so they have to be good. Portable phones are a totally different beast - the best sound in a compact unit.

I find it's best to have both. I consider my home headphones another component of my stereo, so they have to be good. Portable phones are a totally different beast - the best sound in a compact unit.

You are very right! I need to have both, I just dunno what to buy now cus I don't think I can afford to buy both now... I have really been drooling over those AKG 701 mmm. But I guess somehow I use my portable more... :unsure:

You are very right! I need to have both, I just dunno what to buy now cus I don't think I can afford to buy both now... I have really been drooling over those AKG 701 mmm. But I guess somehow I use my portable more... :unsure:

Maybe it's obvious, then, but perhaps you could find a middle-of-the-road set that works on both, and then when you have the money and feel you really need them, buy a swank set of home headphones like the K701s :wub:. I can highly recommend the AKG K 81 DJ phones as an affordable option under US$100. They're not perfect, but you get a lot more than you pay for. The reason I bought them is to have a kickass portable sound, to bring home-listening with me in public, but without having to carry around or wear giant home headphones - and I did my research. They're totally sealed so you can totally crank them without disturbing anyone, and the sound is surprisingly thick. And that's coming from someone who practically lives in headphones and have used many of them in the past. Anyway, good luck. :D

Thanks for the tip man! I will try those fuckers (AKG K 81 DJ ) out, I think I remember seeing them in a store down here. They look really nice, and it looks like a solid build as well!

But I also lean towards getting me a pair of shure plugs, two of my friends have the e2 and have been praising them (except that the wire broke, but the plugs were replaced, so..?!) Well I will just have to see whats gonna happen!

these ones looks very nice Shure SE210

Yeah, man, those look nice, especially for a portable. Expensive. I'd definitely get them if portable is indeed your priority, then when you're ready you can get some big, soft lounge chairs for your ears for the home and you'll be totally covered. :D

If you guys are interested in good headphones then head to http://www.head-fi.org/ so you don't end up with Bose like some people in this thread did. There is a ton of good info on audiophile quality phones and everything else that comes with it (amp, preamp, etc). You gotta realize that a 1k headphone will most likely sound much worse powered from a portable or soundcard than a 200$ pair powered using dedicated amp. There is a lot of science when it comes to sound and if you care about being informed head-fi is a great place to start. Sound is a vast field and there is a lot to learn. It is very interesting though and I am sure that most people on here care about it.

powered from a portable or soundcard than a 200$ pair powered using dedicated amp

ok can you explain that? do you mean a dedicated amp just for the headphones?

after the mixer? seems like the quality of mixer will matter there also.

i've never heard of an amp just for the headphones, but it sounds like something that might be useful

If you guys are interested in good headphones then head to http://www.head-fi.org/ so you don't end up with Bose like some people in this thread did. There is a ton of good info on audiophile quality phones and everything else that comes with it (amp, preamp, etc). You gotta realize that a 1k headphone will most likely sound much worse powered from a portable or soundcard than a 200$ pair powered using dedicated amp. There is a lot of science when it comes to sound and if you care about being informed head-fi is a great place to start. Sound is a vast field and there is a lot to learn. It is very interesting though and I am sure that most people on here care about it.

:lol:

Yeah, head-fi is great - I've been linking to it a few times in this thread.

ok can you explain that? do you mean a dedicated amp just for the headphones?

after the mixer? seems like the quality of mixer will matter there also.

i've never heard of an amp just for the headphones, but it sounds like something that might be useful

The truth is that devices like portables, computers and the headphone inputs on many amps usually do not have the power to make good headphones work and sound the way they're supposed to. Therefore, if one really wants their headphones to shine and to have the best listening experience, it's necessary to use a headphone amp. There are cheap and expensive ways to go about this. For portables I recommend a C-Moy style amp, which is very compact and very cheap, and good for those occasions when you've often got your portable up to 7 or 8 and it's distorting but you want your music louder. On the flipside, there are dedicated headphone amps that run in the US$10,000 area or more, which is absurd, but I wonder what that sounds like.