Psy Chill Sucks

Goa Bill

After i was exposed by some excellent IDM and Ambient by the likes ISAN, Trentemoller, Pete Namlook, Ulrich Schnauss and some more i have reached the conclusion that the current Chill releases from Psy labels are nothing but shite. And that excludes the likes of Twisted, Aleph Zero and Interchill that still have some sort of a quality control over their releases.

I know i am being too negative and all, but please, stop releasing psy trance with half the speed. It takes more than that.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I admittedly don't know anything about psy labels, I can't imagine any of them are so big they would have the ability to dictate what their artists' music sounds like. I'd be suprised if any electronic labels could do that, let alone labels that cater to an obscure subgenre like psytrance.

While I admittedly don't know anything about psy labels, I can't imagine any of them are so big they would have the ability to dictate what their artists' music sounds like. I'd be suprised if any electronic labels could do that, let alone labels that cater to an obscure subgenre like psytrance.

628811[/snapback]

Well, it's not so much that the labels dictate sound, but rather, it's a genre, and therefore most artists conform to the sound of the genre all by themselves. And that sound is, well, boring, especially in comparison to a lot of the other genres that are doing something similarly, yet more dynamically.

628811[/snapback]

There are labels that dictate their artists their sound. Check Shift and Paranormal Attack before Chemical Crew and after.

With psychill you mean chill using a psytrance-like sounds? Then I mostly agree with you, except from a few projects , such as Galaxy....

But you should exclude Ultimae Records ... ;)

628814[/snapback]

Ultimae is not a psy label. I was referring to labels that release Psy Trance and Chill-Out albums/compilations with tracks by Psy Trance artists.

Please dont ever mention Namlook and Schnauss again on this forum.

We are simply not worthy to speak about them.

Lets open a couple more Skazi threads to have something to speak about.

628816[/snapback]

Yea for a minute there i forgot that it's PSYnews. And since only Psy Trance is Psychedelic we shouldn't discuss Namlook here :huh:

After i was exposed by some excellent IDM and Ambient by the likes ISAN, Trentemoller, Pete Namlook, Ulrich Schnauss and some more i have reached the conclusion that the current Chill releases from Psy labels are nothing but shite. And that excludes the likes of Twisted, Aleph Zero and Interchill that still have some sort of a quality control over their releases.

I know i am being too negative and all, but please, stop releasing psy trance with half the speed. It takes more than that.

628800[/snapback]

Pete Namlook is WOW... did you check out old Mixmaster Morris stuff?! Look for some stuff from him... i bet you would love it :)

628800[/snapback]

Since psytrance suck it's no wonder that "psy trance with half the speed" also sucks. :P

Any way, I can only agree. I strongly dislike the ethnic new age crap that is labeled as psy chill these days.

Native State Records is one of the most interesting labels right now, try them. A lot more interesting then Interchill and Aleph Zero.

Pete Namlook is WOW... did you check out old Mixmaster Morris stuff?! Look for some stuff from him... i bet you would love it :)

628831[/snapback]

Namlook/Morris stuff is pretty snoozy too. Dreamfish? Zzzzzz.

Namlook/Move D, on the other hand...

628800[/snapback]

true. with such a large number of releases, music is becoming so damn predictable when you buy a cd. I think im losing my taste in this whole downtempo/psy chill shite!

Some of that stuff is like.. all sounds, no music.

It might be good technically, but the music itself often sounds superficial and overdone to my ears... though I'm sure there are exceptions

Take the almighty Global Communication - 76:14 from 1994... and tell me if anything from the chilled-downtempo-trance-psybient style could beat that.