Ka-Sol - Fairytale

SkeletonMan

Ka-Sol – Fairytale

First of all maybe some tracks that are representative for the tracks on this album.

Well I say if you like tracks like the ones on schalb2, professor mephisto and the track on the Apsara album this cd is something for you. If you are into old school goatrance music this will also be very enjoyable because he sometimes goes back in time .

Anyway it’s music for all those psychedelic freaks out there!

Christer has been making crazy music for 10 years now and could be comparable with the glory days of the Battle Buddha’s. But he has his own touch and sound, the music sounds modern but still raw and has imo more psychedelic sounds.

The album actually has a medium dark and a lighter side, so if you are not into the darkish ka-sol style, this album contains enough light (vice versa) for all of you without losing his massive foresttouch.

2nd this album has very straight stomping heavy basslines to keep everybody moving till the end of the night. Don’t expect the easygoing everybody is happy cliché full on stuff ! These tracks want you to hit the floor with your feet like a 800 pound giant would. Express every deep desire or emotion as if it were your last few minutes on the face of this planet. The stormy melodies wave trough your mind like a hurricane. And so they will continue to swirl through the dancefloor till the last soul joins in this psychedelic feest.

It’s like someone is driving you through the night, you have to keep moving like a real freak, it’s not dancing, it’s giving all you got to free yourself from your bounds.

A small track description:

Track 1: Pure bubbling forest music, with a strong drive and lots of quirking sounds.

Track 2: More melodic than track 1 and has an ending like old Tim Schuldt in a modern jacket.

Track 3: This is pure stomping nightmusic with a very intensive melody. This is what ka-sol is al about!

Track 4: This has a strong drive and build up. It’s melodic hysteria, if the dancefloor is ready for it take them to a peak with this track.

Track 5: Lots of old school influences in this one, track is what the name says it is.

Track 6: One of my favorite melodic tracks on the album, has some Koxbox sounding samples going through it. I love it, this is the future.

Track 7: Good melodic music nothing more nothing less.

Track 8: Really good music, lots of power in this song, also one of my favorite tracks on the album. This is light for Ka-sol but very good and strong for modern melodic music.

Track 9: Don’t love this track, for me this is to cheesy and maybe a bit to superficial.

Track 10: Nice ending for a great album. Soft but good, has nice atmosphere.

All in al my favorites are: 1,3,6,8 and the last part of track 2.

I liked skreno (4) very much though on the dancefloor!

The downside for me is track 9.

Anyway I give this album a 9/10. A véry good album with topnotch nice Swedish forest music combined with melodic goatrance influences. For me this is probably Suntrip’s best release and one of the best releases this year so far. He’s also one of the most mind blowing live-acts I have experienced!

Greetz Somseensee

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I realy want to buy this album,but I want the cover art in good quality too,cause i realy love it. :wub:

So,when will it be fixed?

Or is it just a small detail?

544231[/snapback]

Are you not aware that for collector purposes a damaged cover is probably worth far more in the long run? Or maybe that doesn't matter to you. I'm a perfectionist, but I'm pretty excited to have it as it is. You can say you got it "way back when" :-)

Are you not aware that for collector purposes a damaged cover is probably worth far more in the long run?  Or maybe that doesn't matter to you.  I'm a perfectionist, but I'm pretty excited to have it as it is.  You can say you got it "way back when"  :-)

544242[/snapback]

Sure,well i'm a perfectionist too,and I would like it with a clean cover,Collectors items I don't care for.I'ts the music and in this particullar case the cover.

:ph34r:

Sure,well i'm a perfectionist too,and I would like it with a clean cover,Collectors items I don't care for.I'ts the music and in this particullar case the cover.

:ph34r:

544274[/snapback]

One of the following weeks we'll place the full quality cover WITHOUT the shade-error from the factory on our website, we'll place a post here then... :) Once again sorry about that, but it was really beyond our control!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this album a while ago and only listened to half of it. Just wasn't in the mood I guess and it lay on my shelf, only half played :( for a while.

I put it back in my CD player this morning though and as I morning pick me up I really enjoyed it. I'm definately going to give it some more time.

My favourite track so far is number 4 - Skreno

• 2 weeks later...

Very good album and definately one of the best of 2006 so far. To be honest I was hoping for even more power, but it's still great. The melodies are very good (actually this is a crossover between dark goa and forest psy).

Fav tracks Skreno, Schlumpen, No Return, Sticky Web but the rest are good too. (Well the last one has some very cheesy melodies)

Highly recommended!

KA-SOL - FAIRYTALE
SUNTRIP RECORDS

Track list:

1. Tecmorning (8:58)
2. Blogz (8:54)
3. Shlumpen (8:09)
4. Skreno (7:37)
5. Back Basic (Goa Mix) (7:57)
6. Matrix Remix (8:57)
7. No Return (9:09)
8. Sticky Web (7:58)
9. White Magic (8:04)
10. The Light (8:04)

This is an interesting album. It lacks intros and that isn't a big deal, though it seems a bit startling at first. Some tracks are strong and some not so much. On tracks without intros I feel the melodies don't replace but do make up for it.

1. TECMORNING is an extremely hard [in sound] opening that doesn't do anything for me other than make the three songs that follow it sound that much better. There are some bubbly, psy-sounds around the beat as Derango's done. I find the overall song uneventful, uninteresting, repetitive, noisy, and one of the worst songs I've heard by this artist. I don't know what Suntrip was thinking when they released decided on this song. It seems out of place here. Disappointing. C-

2. BLOGZ shows signs of catchier synth work around a solid beat. It's changes make it more engaging than the opening track, though the song isn't that eventful and takes time to pick up. Decent song. B-

3. SCHLUMPEN is the darkest track on the album so far. Around 1:50 start the melodies. By 2:25 this song has developed into something even more substantial. However things don't evolve much more past this point, save a unique synth, a nice sound towards the end. The echoed dripping water effects add a nice touch too. This is a pretty good song. B

4. SKRENO is the first song to really grab me on the album. It breaks further away from the monotonous approach and has more engaging synth work, such as at 2:45 and 4:24. Some bad key changes exist towards the end too; it's not hard to hear how "off" (and not in a good way) they sound. Like at 5:35, 5:41 5:48. 5:55, etc. Overall, this is a pretty good song but those off key changes sound amateurish regardless of whether they were intended or not. B

5. BACK BASIC (GOA MIX) I find suspect; it has a similar sounding synth (2:12 to 2:45) to Chi-A.D's EXIT ETERNITY. Maybe it's inspired or unintentional; I listened to both songs back-to-back in my itunes and found the similarities quite close. Listen for yourself and decide. What else does this song have going for it? Some psy sounds around beat and synth; it sounds pretty generic until around 4:51 where some energy injects into it. There are also some unique sounds towards the end but it's not enough to save the song from mediocrity. C

6. MATRIX (REMIX) has unique synth work that's catchy and emotive. The song is more developed, melodic, and free in spirit. Symphonic sounds that enters around 2:10 are well done. Another example is around 3:31. The short voice sample via transition enhances the vehicle, and sets it up for more involvement. Good work! B

7. NO RETURN is one of the weaker ones here, only to follow a pretty good one before it. The first third is pretty much haunting sounds around a beat. Hold on. Let me get out my Halloween sound fx cd. There are scratchy noises, and a unique synth that grows catchier towards the second minute-plus. It all sounds fairly repetitive and recycled in ideas after a while. At 5:20, suddenly things pick up; the entire song evolves and grows more lively and exciting. Why can't there be more fun moments like these on this album? It's waiting to get to moments like these that will turn off numerous listeners. C

8. STICKY WEB is one of the best songs on the album. The sounds/melodies are beautiful in a fast, aggressive and driving way. The overall track direction and development is gripping, strong. This is a creative and catchy throughout. B+

9. WHITE MAGIC has some nice, higher pitched melodies, but those are towards the end. The overall song isn't as good as the other synth (melody?) driven songs on Fairytale. This is a fairly average song until the end in my opinion. The end probably stands out more, to some degree, because the previous part is so mediocre. Good use of gothic/nightmarish sound fx. C

10: THE LIGHT ends the album strong and melodically fierce and involves some of the strongest feeling on the album. The opening voice sample compliments it, creating a feeling of sadness and hope. The various sounds and melodies are very strong in this number. It's very emotive and one of the best I've heard yet by Ka-Sol. B+

CONCLUSION - There is some good work here. Some tracks are okay and one is pretty bad in my opinion. Some of the songs sound weak in development; they lack strong craftsmanship compared to others. A disappointment is when I hear a good song followed by a monotonous, uninteresting one. I know Ka-Sol is capable of stronger work, Suntrip of better releases. On the positive, the album brings life into the void by the forth number (there's more attention to melodies). If you're a big fan of melodies however, you may not like this album very much. There is some interesting work; the style is different. Song intros would have been nice. That said, this is one of the more interesting albums of 2006 due to the parts that engage. It's dark, fairly melodic, aggressive, and not what you'd expect from Suntrip Records. Give it a try. See what you think The album has some cool ideas, moments, and strengths. It's just nothing spectacular as a whole and lacks consistency in what makes its greatest moments work. This is bound to divide audiences. I really like and dislike parts. I am a big fan of The Light. :)

Favorite tracks: 3, 4, 6, 8, 10.

B-

didn't listen to this album enough to write a full review so ill write my impression..

good things:

- original and psychedelic

- lots of variety in the tracks

- nice raw sounds

- fat kicks and basslines

- some melodies are really nice

- good atmosphere

bad things:

- no intros

- some part in the tracks sound unfinished to me (which could be worse cuz i heard tracks by ka sol which have an intro with some random drum kicks that sounded like my first fruity loops session==> Ka Sol - Fucked Up)

so my temporary verdict is 8/10 now, would be easily 9.5/10 if he made the tracks with a nice buildup instead of just throwing all the sounbds in without 'warning'

so my temporary verdict is 8/10 now, would be easily 9.5/10 if he made the tracks with a nice buildup instead of just throwing all the sounbds in without 'warning'

565582[/snapback]

You just said the key word: no buildups

That's what I miss the most from this album. I guess Ka-Sol prefers it that way but I'd like to listen to some climaxes or a more ''playful'' kick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This Album is superb !

I Just got it yesterday and im hooked on it very hard.

Complex music,amazing stories,and it's all just RAW :P

Thank you Ka-Sol for this amazing album,and thank you Suntrip records for keeping it real,stay true and real,cus you simply rock !

• 1 month later...

The last song is good; I'd like to hear more songs like that. I don't like the opening though.

I like Filteria and Khetzal more. There's some good work here. Both Suntrip and Ka-Sol can do better.

Dunno about the second KaSol album, but it will sure be popular, so Suntrip can think of releasing it in the future.

It's getting cold in Europe now, open-air period is almost over here... and nothing worked than Fairytale in the forest this summer! :)

only a few more days and I'll have this one in my collection :D

looking forward too it!

614507[/snapback]

Hope you enjoy it!

This release grows on me every time I listen to it. I wasn't overly impressed at first but it got better & better with every listen :):):)

Hope you enjoy it!

This release grows on me every time I listen to it. I wasn't overly impressed at first but it got better & better with every listen  :)  :)  :)

614668[/snapback]

It was the other way round for me. Thought it was okay on my first listen but by the fourth or fifth play I started contemplating suicide (something I hadn't previously considered since living in New York City over 5 years ago, where the New Yorker's oh-so-fucking-whiney voices and retarded look-we're-american-we're-so-fucking-great-flag-waving coupled with their stupid fake-smiling-faces led me to something of a violent and mental breakdown and I was arrested by the NYPD and threatened with deportation (true story by the way, I tell not a lie) but anyway I'm digressing). Basically when all's said and done I just didn't like it. No. Worse. I hated it. No. Worse still. I hated it and everything in the world when I had it. I even hated my poor mother who deserves nothing but love from the son who has served only to let her down. Felt much better once I sold it though.

It was the other way round for me. Thought it was okay on my first listen but by the fourth or fifth play I started contemplating suicide (something I hadn't previously considered since living in New York City over 5 years ago, where the New Yorker's oh-so-fucking-whiney voices and retarded look-we're-american-we're-so-fucking-great-flag-waving coupled with their stupid fake-smiling-faces led me to something of a violent and mental breakdown and I was arrested by the NYPD and threatened with deportation (true story by the way, I tell not a lie) but anyway I'm digressing). Basically when all's said and done I just didn't like it. No. Worse. I hated it. No. Worse still. I hated it and everything in the world when I had it. I even hated my poor mother who deserves nothing but love from the son who has served only to let her down. Felt much better once I sold it though.

615306[/snapback]

Wow. So I take it this isn't going in your TOP 10 albums of the year list. ;)

615306[/snapback]

I think we shared the same feelings on this one.

• 3 weeks later...