Do you write down the BPMs?

Riton

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cosmogenesis

Jamais, mon ami! For me BPM's, aren't so important. There are many tracks with a slow BPM which I really appreciate, and others with fast BPM that I hate. When I'm listening a track, I don't care about BPM because I don't include this criterion. Et toi? :)

Hey people,

simple question, just wondering how many actually of u guys take the time to write down the BPMs of every track and keep it with ur CDs...

Why or why not?

Dav

492267[/snapback]

Yeah I write them down when I find a track I like I note it in my track database along with the BPM.

I have to spend less time cueing the tracks when I know the BPMs - Which means I can put more emphasis on EQ work + pitch bending - Getting it all right and do a longer lasting mix (if I want to) into the next track - Also, I spare my ears the ekstra tinitus from listening to loud music in headphones.

Its also good to know that you are not choosing tracks where you end up pitching so much the sound changes or even distorts.

However - For training purposes and FUN when I mix at home, I usually just grab some random CDs and start mixing the tracks together - I think that is sort of fun, since I dont know the tracks that well and I am totally unprepared :-) Its a good skill to master also :-) In those cases I dont know the BPMs and just listen, takes me 10 seconds or so to find the right pitch (low volume, easy on the ears).

But - In regards to noting BPMs my logic dictates "why shouldnt I?" - I can use my time on better things than setting the correct pitch while Im spinning, or at least I can spare my ears.

Best Wishes

Krell

Guest djnemo

Hey people,

simple question, just wondering how many actually of u guys take the time to write down the BPMs of every track and keep it with ur CDs...

Why or why not?

Dav

492267[/snapback]

never. why? im a natural... no, really, I have never used bpm counters and the lots really either. but some people dont have rhythm in their body, and I can see how they would need that.

I think of it like this, there are people that have a natural bpm counter in their head, and they just use it subconciously, and there the ones that have to have beatmatchers, write down the bpms etc etc. The latter for me, should give up djing, such as for instance Raja Ram :P

I don't... but that's just because I'm lazy at the moment.. It can really help you find a decent track at a certain BPM range for instance while spinning a set!

Bending tracks too much sucks.. so I'll do it in the future.. but I can also beatmatch OK without :) just takes me a little longer

never. why? im a natural... no, really, I have never used bpm counters and the lots really either. but some people dont have rhythm in their body, and I can see how they would need that.

I think of it like this, there are people that have a natural bpm counter in their head, and they just use it subconciously, and there the ones that have to have beatmatchers, write down the bpms etc etc. The latter for me, should give up djing, such as for instance Raja Ram :P

492277[/snapback]

The problem is you dont get exact BPMs anyway when you pitch the tracks, so writing them down just saves you the time of finding the correct pitch setting.

So, when your ears are not listening, and the approach to operating the gear becomes all mechanic you wont be able to do correct pitch bending either... and then you get double beats etc hehe.

However, you can write them down to save a bit of time - for convinience - doesnt mean you are a bad dj, just means you know how to save time which you can put to better use ;-)

Best Wishes.

Krell

Nah I don't. But I have a very good working BPM counter. :P I'm only a bedroom DJ so I don't care if this is not professional or anything.

I only DJ rock/metal/indie and similar... Beatmixing is not important in that...  :)

492333[/snapback]

Is that true? I always thought you also DJ psy and stuff. But maybe I just have that in mind because you have such a huge collection...

Guest djnemo

The problem is you dont get exact BPMs anyway when you pitch the tracks, so writing them down just saves you the time of finding the correct pitch setting.

So, when your ears are not listening, and the approach to operating the gear becomes all mechanic you wont be able to do correct pitch bending either... and then you get double beats etc hehe.

However, you can write them down to save a bit of time - for convinience - doesnt mean you are a bad dj, just means you know how to save time which you can put to better use ;-)

Best Wishes.

Krell

492325[/snapback]

Yeah great tip, but you will never teach yourself in that way. Reference or not, I still see it as cheating :P

Hmm...

tricky stuff guys...

I still have to take pics and post...

i guess ill start ANOTHER thread just to show my new installation :D and my new appartment altogether :D

492336[/snapback]

Yeah do that! I wanna see everything! (well, not everythign but you know what I mean... :P )

i LOVE my appartment... i really do...

im just pissed cuz im missing 2 essential framed posters...

one of them is a Dali painting and other is a papyrus from egypt...

when those are here i think the deco will finally be done :D

Yeah great tip, but you will never teach yourself in that way. Reference or not, I still see it as cheating :P

492335[/snapback]

Thats because you are caught up in the method of djing instead of the effect.

There is no "cheating" in djing, its "whatever works work", and if it works, its good - if it doesnt, its bad. Only thing that matters is the music, and if the music is good, its good, if its bad, its bad.

So simple and yet so complex ;-)

Btw - I did teach myself to do it using the ears even though I did note the BPMs - so, you are simply not correct in your assumption that "you will never teach yourself in that way".

The mixing part is the easy part of DJing - The hard part I think is the track sequencing.

But, of course, the first obstacle most people run into is the mixing part, if they want to beatmix anyways... but once you got the ears tuned in and the theory understood in a way you can use it - mixing is the easy part. (routine)

Or, mixing is easy if its just standard beat mixing (certainly getting the same tempo on tracks shouldnt be a challenge at all) - it can get harder when you start to really exploit the possibilities in tracks when mixing (and Im not talking about using effects, just using the music "as is" when working in the mix).

Put in other terms, it doesnt get "easier" in the long run to know the BPMs - Setting the pitch just gets faster.

Something that is dead easy is just dummy work, so for me, it isnt cheating - but I can see if the big challenge for you is to get the same tempo on tracks, then it might look that way. (And yes, I am just taunting you on purpose, but its because you are indirectly calling me a cheater hehehe).

Best Wishes

Krell

Is that true? I always thought you also DJ psy and stuff. But maybe I just have that in mind because you have such a huge collection...

492334[/snapback]

Yeah, nowadays it's only rock... I have a recidency @ the biggest rock joint in Aalborg... Beat-mixing is not really an issue with this music, so I do it very rarely... :)

Yeah, nowadays it's only rock... I have a recidency @ the biggest rock joint in Aalborg...    Beat-mixing is not really an issue with this music, so I do it very rarely...  :)

492391[/snapback]

But it can be a bit fun, since most rock released these days are played at a constant bpm since they use a metronome (click/whatever) while playing. :)

Of course, the more drunk you are, the more fun it is.

do it by ear,it will help you down the line...

maybe you dont want to be a pro,but you would like to dj in a small(or big) party right?

if you learn on writing bpms,or counters and the party gear doesnt offer them ,you are in for a hard time! ;)

do it by ear,it will help you down the line...

maybe you dont want to be a pro,but you would like to dj in a small(or big) party right?

if you learn on writing bpms,or counters and the party gear doesnt offer them ,you are in for a hard time! ;)

492891[/snapback]

bpm counters are totally useless !!!! I have never seen one that is accurate enough to fully rely on ...