Stop the flood!

Trolsk

Guest .::E.P

but if you have to pick out a full-on label to blame this than ketuh is one of the last ones who deserves this.

278579[/snapback]

I did say Ketuh and labels alike ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo Ketuh Records should stop the flood and Yellow Sunshine Explosion should keep em coming???

V.A - Goa 2005 YSE062CD 2005

V.A - Goa 10 YSE063CD 2005

V.A - The History Of Goa Trance YSE064CD 2005

V.A - Tantra Trance YSE065CD 2005

V.A - Trancers Guide To The Galaxy YSE066CD 2005

V.A - Goa Sound System 5 YSE067CD 2005

V.A - Goa Trance 2 YSE068CD 2005

V.A - Goa 11 YSE069CD 2005

V.A - Goa 2005 vol 2 YSE071CD 2005

How about Phonokol?

Hydrogen - Crazy Fantasy 2324-2 2005

Spectrum - Catalyzer 2330-2 2005

Yahel - Around The World 2331-2 2005

V.A - Psytisfaction 2 2332-2 2005

And Spun?

V.A - Remote Viewing SPUNCD014 2005

Wrecked Machines - Second Thought SPUNCD015 2005

Father and Son - Planet Music SPUNCD016 2005

V.A - Zero Gravity SPUNCD017 2005

Ketuh puts out 3 compilations and one full length release, altogether showcasing the music of 21 different artists, and you complain. Yes, its true that there is a lot of crap being released these days, and you do mention that your statement "doesn't only apply to Ketuh Records", however, your choice of example here is far from being on target. Suspended Reality caught my attention as well when it was released last year, only since then, unlike you, I've welcomed this "flood of compilations". Its only allowed me to have more music I enjoy listening to. You say that 2 or 3 good tracks isn't enough for a purchase? Ketuh Records aside, most of the time I'm purchasing cds because of 1 or 2 good tracks, and quite honestly, these days unless Ketuh is concerned, more than 3 good (imo) tracks on a compilation, is totally unheard of for me.

Guest .::E.P

No.  :P

278688[/snapback]

phewwww I got a bit scared there for aminute :)

But i could make one and use a project name like "FOBa"

Soooo Ketuh Records should stop the flood and Yellow Sunshine Explosion should keep em coming???

How about Phonokol?

And Spun?

They all release crap. What's different about Ketuh is that they caught my attention in their early days, but now they're going down the same route as all other labels, quantity over quality.

Ketuh puts out 3 compilations and one full length release, altogether showcasing the music of 21 different artists, and you complain. Yes, its true that there is a lot of crap being released these days, and you do mention that your statement "doesn't only apply to Ketuh Records", however, your choice of example here is far from being on target.

Ketuh was a label that had the possiblity to develop their sound into something interesting, but decided to go downhill, I think it's a spot on choice.

Suspended Reality caught my attention as well when it was released last year, only since then, unlike you, I've welcomed this "flood of compilations". Its only allowed me to have more music I enjoy listening to. You say that 2 or 3 good tracks isn't enough for a purchase?

That's correct! I expect at least 70% of the tracks to be good if I'm to buy anything. I do not listen exclusively to psy-trance and there's tons of good non-psy-trance releases out there so I rather spend my money on something else.

Ketuh Records aside, most of the time I'm purchasing cds because of 1 or 2 good tracks, and quite honestly, these days unless Ketuh is concerned, more than 3 good (imo) tracks on a compilation, is totally unheard of for me.

I vote with my wallet. If a label releases 70% filler material I won't buy it. If you want to support labels that release compilations with less than 3 good tracks then you are free to waste your money, have fun!

In your list for Our releases for 2005, seemingly enough, your list is incomplete.

www.ketuhrecords.com/releases.

There you will find the missing info :)

I was only talking about your compilations.

Also, regarding the flood as alleged: since the beginning of 2005 our sales have doubled.

Courtesy of Arabesque.

It's still a flood.

We are happy to know youyr opininon, as long as its fundamented by facts and not by assumptions...

In what way does your doubled sales change my opinion about your compilations?

Mp3 is indeed killing the market, and no one escapes that. Sadly enough we blame the artists as much as we blame the lame traders who do nothing for the scenes improvement. Rather, they hide in forums under various nicks and bash artists and labels who strive dayly to keep it alive.

I believe:

- there are too many labels, artists and releases for the scene too support. That is, there are more releases per individual now than there was in the 90's.

- low quality releases, just because your running label you can't expect people to buy your releases. If you release crap, and I happen to think you do, people won't buy your releases.

now how about providing us with some hard facts about how MP3 and artist are killing the market. I'm especially interested in knowing how artists are the cause.

We hope your opininon will change, Good luck in the process.

My opinion will change when you release quality compilations. Good luck i the process!

They all release crap. What's different about Ketuh is that they caught my attention in their early days, but now they're going down the same route as all other labels, quantity over quality.

278888[/snapback]

....curious as to which releases you would consider to be high quality compilations...

That's correct! I expect at least 70% of the tracks to be good if I'm to buy anything. I do not listen exclusively to psy-trance and there's tons of good non-psy-trance releases out there so I rather spend my money on something else.

278888[/snapback]

ok ok, I understand now that you made this distinction...I feel the same way about any cd I'm potentially going to purchase strictly for listening purposes.

I vote with my wallet. If a label releases 70% filler material I won't buy it. If you want to support labels that release compilations with less than 3 good tracks then you are free to waste your money, have fun!

278888[/snapback]

back when I was djing psytrance on vinyl, spending $10 for 3 tracks, where usually only one or two of these were worth playing, this was the norm. Nowadays one pays about the same price for a compilation cd where you typically get 9 or 10 tracks. As my music tastes are constantly changing and evolving, I find this works more to my advantage...something I listen to today and don't like, I may stumble across 3 months from now and totally appreciate. Seeing as I buy psytrance for both djing and listening purposes, I really don't have issue with this and rather enjoy the diversity that having music released on cd as opposed to vinyl allows for.

Ketuh was a label that had the possiblity to develop their sound into something interesting, but decided to go downhill, I think it's a spot on choice.

278888[/snapback]

What has disappointed me lately in the psytrance world are labels which have defined a specific sound as "their own", and artists belonging to that label who are altering their sound in order to better cater to the label's sound. Labels that immediately come to mind at the moment are Chemical Crew, Spun Records, 3D Vision...The label should be promoting the artist's sounds, not compromising their integrity! THIS and not the fact that Ketuh Records has had a flood of recent releases is what is truly damaging the quality of psychedelic trance music being released today. Music and labels alike are constantly changing and evolving...next time don't be so quick to judge.

Ketuh is not that bad. Compared to USTA, Phonokol, Spun.World and Pubical Brew they are actually quite good. I definately prefer Killlar Iron Madness VS Sun Girl than Mr. Lerger than testicles that Phonokol releases. In a second thought they both suck hardly. But Menog, Gappeq, Penta, Audialize and even Azax Syndrome are quite good.

As for their problems with paying the artists, well there are rumours... So? There are rumours like that about 98% of psy-labels.

i'm very sorry to say trolsk is quite right in some way

the new ketuh release is mediocre all the way, just the same as with their other VA, in crypto, wich also had only a few mentionable tracks

nothing compared to their very first release........radical simplicity :blink: i'll never forget that one :rolleyes:

still, what ketuh is doing is nothing compared to some other labels,

so it's all relative :D

i'm very sorry to say trolsk is quite right in some way

the new ketuh release is mediocre all the way, just the same as with their other VA, in crypto, wich also had only a few mentionable tracks

nothing compared to their very first release........radical simplicity  :blink: i'll never forget that one  :rolleyes:

still, what ketuh is doing is nothing compared to some other labels,

so it's all relative  :D

279046[/snapback]

Ketuh records first release - Gandalf :)

hmm.. every Ketuh release has at least 2-3 outstanding tracks. which is more than you can say about almost any other label.

I agree with the points so far.

I think the cause of the decline in record sale is and always has been due to 3 reasons...

1) As some of you has already pointed out: TOO MANY RELEASES - quantity over quantity. I've lost count on the new compilations out every month on psyshop. You don't see multimillion dollar artists releasing 2 greatest hits album every year. The psytrance scene is a very VERY small market, threatened by homogenising. There are simply not enough consumers to buy the myriad of releases. Eventually the good stuff is overlooked and more and more people will stop buying cds.

2) Download. BUT it should also be noted that had it not been for mp3s, most of us would never have heard of any of the artists in the first place... which brings me to point number 3...

3) Bad publicity... Which in my opinion is the worst threat to the survival of the artists and labels. I cannot stress enough how fed up I am with the lack of information and exceptionally poor marketing effort on behalf of major labels. One very pitiful example, Twisted Records, has again and again failed to update their site, release information about upcoming releases and the lack of these. Need I remind you all of the horrible delay of the Unusual Suspects 2 album? Everyone was wondering what the F*CK was going on. And what happens when you write Twisted? No answer! We had to wait 7 months for an explanation... and had to read it in an interview with Simon Posford on a fanpage. There is no excuse for this pitiful negligence, and this is just one example.

When the labels ask themselves why they are on their knees, they should start by examining their obvious lack of even the simplest communication and marketing skills which are essential to the survival of a company in this day and age.

And don't ask me how this can be dealt with, cause I have no idea. But there's gotta be someone out there who does.

If you don't like it... don't buy it ;)

280536[/snapback]

Check! and I do download mp3 cd's to find out what I like and what I don't like..

I'm not the kind of guy who can spend 200 Euro's every month on music, so I have to be strict.. quality definately over quantity!

And yes.. I delete what i don't like.. but mp3 downloading brought me in contact with serveral releases/labels I would never have heard about without that part of the music scene.

I actually buy more because of mp3 and I think many people do so. So I don't agree with "mp3 is killing the market".... I don't know many Dj's who spin mp3 also! (unreleased mp3 suck~!). Buy what you like!

well all this label bashing is pretty sad imo.. stop the label bashing! if you think you can do better, then do so!

Check! and I do download mp3 cd's to find out what I like and what I don't like..

I'm not the kind of guy who can spend 200 Euro's every month on music, so I have to be strict.. quality definately over quantity!

And yes.. I delete what i don't like.. but mp3 downloading brought me in contact with serveral releases/labels I would never have heard about without that part of the music scene.

I actually buy more because of mp3 and I think many people do so. So I don't agree with "mp3 is killing the market".... I don't know many Dj's who spin mp3 also! (unreleased mp3 suck~!). Buy what you like!

280840[/snapback]

Man all these mp3 downloader excuses are getting old, as long as you understand that at the end of the day you are ripping off hard-working labels, you are contributing nothing good to the scene and you are pirate for it. then there are no qualms with me

blah, it is not the downloader who 'kills' it, it are the scene groups (Mycel, gEm, PsyCZ, etc..) who are... (But they don't in my opinion) they rip it in the first place and provide it for the masses... i'm a downloader, have lots of excuses and i don't care about what every 'holy buyer' thinks of that, i cannot believe you all buy your stuff and thinking youre such a good fellow and so holy like sucking the cock of your churches anyway. (you won't deny a free beer as well right?) :) downloading is good for getting to know artists/labels etc.. and besides, not everyone has a creditcard (most of us dont have one in holland) and the online stores suck for that... + there's absolutely NO STORE around here in holland where i can buy (underground) psy cd's, maybe the labels just need better distributionals etc.. i would if i could , but i can't ... and i love music just too much and i need new releases / music every now and then, but need it like addictive drugs... CD's are moneysuckers anyway, most of them don't even come with a little extra or special.. they could lower the prices as well..

P.S.: Skazi, Yahel & Hypersonic are killARGHing the scene! ;)