Antix - Twin Coast Discovery

GaySatanicHippie

Got this album only a couple of days ago together with Jaia's Fiction and Phony Orphants' It'cetra after reading a number of reviews claiming these albums together with only a few others (Ticon and P.O.T.S. I presume) competed for "best progressive album of 2005". So, an excellent opportunity to add my 2 cents on some 2005 releases, unbiased and ready for a 1st class progressive ride :o)!

Antix does not let me down. Wow! Other than sex, is there anything better than the comfortability of progressive trance when it's made the exact right way? With Twin Coast Discovery I instantly knew I was in safe hands. These guys know how to put a progressive track together!

Let me give you an example, track 2 The Inkling. We start of with big drum and percussion, a wavy synth quickly kicks in providing the track a psychedelic spin, 1:00 hi-hat starts pumping, FX and break accord steps in, 2:00 the momemtum has now been built up, but still holding the horses, 2:27 bass starts adding a couple of notes and now we're on our feet, break, introduction of lead melody, 3:52 break ends and another build-up begins, and then 4:50 head on dancing.

This description fits any number of trance tracks, most readers will know. The point here is therefore only the simple one, that the boys from Antix knows how to put this formula to use the right way! On all the tracks. There are no fillers here and a couple of quite outstanding tracks. 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 comes to mind, but really all tracks have their own charm and characteristica.

In comparison with Jaia's Fiction I must say I like Antix' TCD better, but then again TCD also harbors more safely in the trance genre with fewer leaps into house oriented land. And when this is done ...?! Well, just get the record and skip directly to track 4 Cold Night and find out what I mean. The bass here ... luv it, luv it!

Another bull's eye from Iboga and a must-hear for the progressive follower.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album is awesome!

...and the last track 08 Hiding place... what a nice track, one of the best ending album tracks i have heard for a while. Hiding place is the best track of the album and i almost feel like saying, by far! It is chill trance at its best.

I am afraid that track 6 Le lascard (french familiar word, weird hehe), i am afraid that this track is not very solid to me and will bore me after a couple of listens, but like i said above, the last track is a pure beauty. Track 2 rocks too.

sherlock, I know it is old now, but did you have a listen to Drone - 23 days? It is less atmospheric, even less psychedelic, but very good too ;)

• 3 months later...

But why is FREQ starting the album off with an Antix Rmx? Was this really necessary? Not to nitpick, the opening track's far from bad, it's actually pretty good. Regardless, this is an Antix album, and one that sounds great without another artist taking up and tinkering with 15% of it. It would have been nice to see a brilliant opening (new track) by Antix here, not an opening dependent on someone else to remix one of theirs.

408961[/snapback]

In my opinion, this remix is one of the best tracks on this album! It brings "Return to the Masters" to a whole new level... such perfection, this is without a doubt my favourite track on the album.

It's just fitting it'll be first...

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It took me some time before I got this into my system. Started really listening to it couple of months ago. The basslines are certainly different from the rest of prog outhere, pretty goddamn intelligent music stuff if you ask me.

To sum it up I just give this album a full 10/10 :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

If you listen to TCD with Lull in mind you're probably gonna be disappointed, but if you just listen to it with an open mind you can hear just how good it is! Why would another Lull be a good thing, anyway?

• 1 month later...