Cosmosis - Trancendance (Holophonic records, 2005)

Manuser

Cosmosis - Trancendance (Holophonic, 2005)

Posted Image

1. "Spontaneous Combustion"

2. "Naked Chicks"

3. "Echoes In Eternity (Warm Saki)"

4. "Inside Yourself"

5. "One Blinding Illumination (This Is Me)"

6. "Stormy Monday"

7. "Re-Order"

8. "Dead Or Alive?"

9. "Time's Trip"

I'd say it's pretty powerful album, more than the previous one Contact. It has some full on elements, but it's not really full on to me. You easily recognize the Cosmosis style with the voice samples, the little breaks...you'll find some melodies in some tracks, like track 4 Inside yourself which reminded me Howling at the moon, their best track. Track 1 is really good, but i really miss 303 lines in the whole album. Re order is really good too. Cool album on the whole, but sure they can do better, remember Synergy. It irritates me when psy artists feel compelled to make an ambient track to finish the album, but here the last track is pretty cool, nice use of guitars.

Finally, nothing amazing, but pretty good.

7/10

I can hardly wait to get it no matter cause it won't be as thrilling as his first 2...;)

COSMOLOGY - 10/10

SYNERGY - 9/10

INTERGALACTIC - 8/10

CONTACT - 7/10

I truly hope this won't get 6/10...;)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I'm concerned, Cosmosis released one absolute killer classic debut album and went continuously downhill from that point on... Not only that but he was also one of the main figures behind "Neo full-on"... thank God that didn't catch up.

So personally I expected this album to be yet another mediocre full-on album along the way and I wasn't mistaken... EXCEPT for Inside Yourself which shows us that oldschool artists haven't forgot how to make... oldschool!!!

Dead or Alive brings us a few of the trademark old Cosmosis screaming 303 lines!! Not bad at all :)

The downtempo track Tim's Trip is pretty nice too (containing fragments from the speech of none other than Tim Leary!) but nothing particularly special.

So yes most of this album is full of boring full-on (although it might grow on me eventually, it's too early to tell...) BUT there are 2 totally killer tracks that bring tears to the eyes of any oldschooler :D Normally I wouldn't recommend an album just for 2 great tracks but these 2 are SO good that IMO they make up for the mediocrity of the rest!! 8/10 Of course if there was some upcoming comp containing those 2 tracks I'd definatley go for that rather than this album. In the meantime this is as close as you'll get to having an adrenaline rush that will make it difficult to keep siting until the upcoming Filteria

PS It took me a while to recognize just what that popish melody in Re-Order was, then I recognized it was actually New Order - Blue Monday ARRRGH!!! The trend of remixing crappy 80s songs is back!! I hate this!!

So yes most of this album is full of boring full-on (although it might grow on me eventually, it's too early to tell...)

262065[/snapback]

yeah took a while to grow on me too. but like it lot now

got to identify the crunchy cosmosis sounds out of the full on beats and you'll love it too. aaaaahhhhh ...... those pleasurable cosmosis sounds.

track 4: Inside Yourself is a top track too.

Agree with Lemmiwinks Inside ur selfe is a masterpice and yes it has oldschool touch but im disapointed with the album :(:(:( Cosmosis was my favorite melodic project

but this is to cheesy (fullon) just think of Telephaty or Afterglow or Brainwaves....

From Trancedance also i like tims trip good chill ...

P.S.I miss old cosmosis.....That mystical melodies no 1 cant create that i mean no 1!!!

got to identify the crunchy cosmosis sounds out of the full on beats

hey I was just listening to One Blinding Illumination and thought "wait a minute, there's a killer oldschool 303 in the background" around minute 2:20... then I read your comment. Yes you are right!! But are those little trademark Cosmosis sounds in the background here and there worth it? Ah well, guess I'll have to give this a few more listens to tell :)

I can hardly wait to get it no matter cause it won't be as thrilling as his first 2...;)

COSMOLOGY - 10/10

SYNERGY - 9/10

INTERGALACTIC - 8/10

CONTACT - 7/10

256680[/snapback]

I would mostly agree with this.

My rating would be:

Hmmm.... not hyped about this at all. Wish I could be. The samples don't inspire... me.

Cosmosis is one of those artists that has managed to progress his sound with dignity. It has so far been a great ride, from the debut Cosmology up to 2002's Contact, all good, great or brilliant. The latest offering, Trancendance, is unfortunately a release that will be lost in the flood of boring full on.

Not bad, just not interesting: 5/10

Cosmosis is one of those artists that has managed to progress his sound with dignity. It has so far been a great ride, from the debut Cosmology up to 2002's Contact, all good, great or brilliant. The latest offering, Trancendance, is unfortunately a release that will be lost in the flood of boring full on.

Not bad, just not interesting: 5/10

263150[/snapback]

YES

This is the new Cosmosis sound <_<

Guest Rain

256680[/snapback]

well don't count on in for my consideration... no more then 6/10

I've listened to it maybe ten times... ultimately it's very bland imho. The only thing that stands out is the Blue Monday remix, and even that is a bit too "poppy" for my tastes (and there are better remixes of that tune out there anyway). I don't know how Cosmosis lost their magic, but like many of you, my impression of their albums has steadily descended through the years... if Cosmosis won't seek some depth, at least knock the fun factor up a level and get some totally out of control bass lines on the go or something. Where's that Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster now? Sipping on a latte at Starbucks, evidently.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, the rmx of Blue Monday is somewhat fun, I think... But then again, I'm a sucker for 80s synthpop and electro :D

Inside yourself is very good and Dead or Alive has some nice crunchy stuff, otherwise this is quite average. There's a lot of hq sounds as always with his albums, but the songs just don't inspire me. And the speech samples are super tired :/

Sounds just like everybody else.

Dino's remix to Blue Monday that just came out is far superior imho. Although one must ask what time we live in when the artists feel it necessary to give us a choice between 80s remixes... heh.

Anyway, it sorta makes this album irrelevant. Where's the Cosmosis of old? I'd enjoy if they did some more chill-out stuff, or the more jazzy/bluesy style he's touched on in the past.

Guest antic

I don't agree this is average at all :)

When you consider that it is Cosmosis, then it definitely is not his best album (I say it's their 3rd best, after Synergy and Cosmology), but when you compare this one with most of stuff released nowadays I think it looks quite good in comparison. There is no typical full-on sounds, the tracks are very varied in sound and emotion, though they all maintain that quite recognizable Cosmosis-style. The production is nice, without being overpolished which is quite common in israeli stuff. It's dirty when there is a need to be.

There are really only two songs I don't like there, namely "Echoes in eternity" (it starts marvellous, but then somehow just looses it and goes nowhere) and "Re-order" (the idea was good, but I don't like the way it was executed, especially in the beginning of the track - simple rythms & sounds). They're not bad, but just average.

Rest of the tracks are _at least_ good, with a exception of tracks 4-6 and 8-9 that are totally storming, blinding and flawless!!! The "guitar-like" synth in "Inside Yourself" is gorgeus, the 303-squelches in "One Blinding Illumination" drive me nuts every f*ing time I hear it, the humorous samples and AWESOME acid lines of "Stormy Monday" send the shivers down my spine. The crunchy and PHAT sounds of "Dead or Alive?" would definitely woke up the dead :), while the last track is totally chilled and beautifully musical.

The first two tracks however suffer from some strange problems with tuning and/or arrangement, though they too have some incredible moments.

Great cover art as always (by NOS, the same guy that did the cover for Intergalactic).

8/10 in my book!

[OFF TOPIC]

Holophonic records (Bill's own label, for those who have mp3's :)) is soon releasing the album called Akashic, which is a "The Best of..." kind of thing. Check it out here (not sure why they used the Synergy cover - maybe it's just temporarily placed there?)

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/hol/hol1cd605.html

I'd rather it was a off-albums singles collection (like: Howling at The Moon, Caves of Medusa, Reality Check, Doors of Perception etc.), bacause I got all of his albums and I won't be buying it. But I'm sure some of the "newer" psytrancers might be interested, since the old albums are unavailable now...

[/OFF TOPIC]

Guest antic

just get Cosmology  :P  :D

289116[/snapback]

I got it already and - as I said - all of the old albums are SOLD OUT, so you can't buy it anymore... :(

Nope. This is not Cosmosis's best offering.

Transcendance starts off weakly and the first three songs are nothing special. However, like most of you, I really did enjoy track #4 (Inside Yourself).

Couldn't care less for track 5 and then we arrive at Stormy Monday. It is a trance remix of Blue Monday, that great New Order track. Cosmosis's take on that classic is harmless fun, but it is not exactly an eye-opening affair. Unlike the Hardfloor version which came out so many years ago.

But at least Stormy Monday is less silly than what Cosmosis tried on his Contact album - using Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra on track #8. That was embarassing, while Stormy Monday is simply unnecessary.

I like tracks #7 and #9 a lot. I am not crazy about Ambient Psy, but Cosmosis seems to have an above average talent for it - maybe next album he might grace us with 2 or 3 ambient tracks and reduce some of the full-on filler.

I give it an average rating (I bought it, but then I purchase too many CDs...).

Pedro

Guest antic

...and then we arrive at Stormy Monday. It is a trance remix of Blue Monday...

Re-order (track #7) is a remix of Blue Monday. Stormy Monday (track #6) as far as I know is not a remix of anything :)

My mistake. I confused tracks 6 and 7.

Incidently, I have gone back and heard track 6 and I did not seem that special. I do not what I was thinking when I wrote my notes...

As such, that leaves me with only two tracks I really enjoyed (#4 and #9) and a few other ones which I find barely reasonable. I have to mark down this CD as non-recommendable.

Pedro

But are those little trademark Cosmosis sounds in the background here and there worth it? Ah well, guess I'll have to give this a few more listens to tell

well here I am, 2 months later and the answer is no... those trademark Cosmosis sounds in the background are NOT worth it... It all just gets more and more boring as time goes by. Even my beloved oldschool track Inside Yourself ended up sounding too cliché and not deep enough... If you're nostaligc after the oldschool era then you're definatley better of with V/A - Apsara instead... and the rating just drops each day. Now I wouldn't give this more than a 5/10 Guess I was a bit too enthusiastic at first...

well here I am, 2 months later and the answer is no... those trademark Cosmosis sounds in the background are NOT worth it... It all just gets more and more boring as time goes by. Even my beloved oldschool track Inside Yourself ended up sounding too cliché and not deep enough... If you're nostaligc after the oldschool era then you're definatley better of with V/A - Apsara instead... and the rating just drops each day. Now I wouldn't give this more than a 5/10 Guess I was a bit too enthusiastic at first...

292660[/snapback]

same, my 7/10 was too kind, i really miss the Synergy style :(

• 6 months later...

Hmm, the rmx of Blue Monday is somewhat fun, I think... But then again, I'm a sucker for 80s synthpop and electro :D

Inside yourself is very good and Dead or Alive has some nice crunchy stuff, otherwise this is quite average. There's a lot of hq sounds as always with his albums, but the songs just don't inspire me. And the speech samples are super tired :/

Sounds just like everybody else.

288607[/snapback]

I hate "funny" samples in trance, unless there is some kind of intelligence behind. The sample here in naked chicks is SUPER f#¤%#"KING LAME !!! :angry:

I hate "funny" samples in trance, unless there is some kind of intelligence behind. The sample here in naked chicks is SUPER f#¤%#"KING LAME !!! :angry:

432107[/snapback]

oh gosh, not another trance fundamentalist!!

git over it. it's a fun track, that's all.