Cosmosis - Trancendance (Holophonic records, 2005)

Manuser

oh gosh, not another trance fundamentalist!!

git over it. it's a fun track, that's all.

432158[/snapback]

Trance fundamentalist hehe :lol: I don't think I'm a fundamentalist, BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND THAT'S NOT GANNA CHANGE !!! :D Just kidding. No, I don't mind funny samples, but they have to mean something. If they're funny just to explicit stupidity they annoy me. Like Ticon naming one track "chicken shaker". Unless that means something what's the point?

And as far as Cosmosis, he's used funny samples more than once. And I never find them funny, only utterly lame. Why do I want to hear Tim Leary for the 1 billionth time in a Cosmosis track? WHY ? Because I dance and then need to laugh? If you want to add humour, fine, but I think it needs to be done intelligently so it adds a dimension to the music.

I think that's the problem with Cosmosis. From his music I gather he's a very nice guy all about entertaining and good mood, and that fucks up his music when he looses sight of what matters.

Oh well, I'm not a big fan of bill. Liked some of the earlier stuff, but he's never been unkeen to cheese and so never have gotten very close to my heart. Though track 2 and 3 on Synergy rocks BIG TIME. But Human Evolution on Contact ... ... :blink: In some countries they apply capital punishment for such tracks. Which is all fair and square if you ask Skelly ... :angry: nuff said.

Guest antic

Trance fundamentalist  hehe :lol: I don't think I'm a fundamentalist, BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND THAT'S NOT GANNA CHANGE !!!  :D  Just kidding. No, I don't mind funny samples, but they have to mean something. If they're funny just to explicit stupidity they annoy me. Like Ticon naming one track "chicken shaker". Unless that means something what's the point?

And as far as Cosmosis, he's used funny samples more than once. And I never find them funny, only utterly lame. Why do I want to hear Tim Leary for the 1 billionth time in a Cosmosis track? WHY ? Because I dance and then need to laugh? If you want to add humour, fine, but I think it needs to be done intelligently so it adds a dimension to the music.

I think that's the problem with Cosmosis. From his music I gather he's a very nice guy all about entertaining and good mood, and that fucks up his music when he looses sight of what matters.

Oh well, I'm not a big fan of bill. Liked some of the earlier stuff, but he's never been unkeen to cheese and so never have gotten very close to my heart. Though track 2 and 3 on Synergy rocks BIG TIME. But Human Evolution on Contact ... ... :blink: In some countries they apply capital punishment for such tracks. Which is all fair and square if you ask Skelly ... :angry: nuff said.

452476[/snapback]

and I was already starting to like you ;):D

personally, I think Billy's one of the best psytrance producers out there. he definitely has a sense of humour, a british "tongue in cheek"-type - just listen to the whole Mumbo Jumbo album or Stormy Monday on Trancendance! however, I see that this kind of humour does not appeal to everyone :( Skely, do you like Monty Python?

apart from the funny aspect, I also think he's musically brilliant. ofcourse not all tracks are great, but at least half of those released on this album is totally killer, especially:

2. I love the samples, the drum-loop / bassline combo is cracking, I love how the bassline changes in time, the song has few parts with saw-tooth acid madeness

3. too simple maybe, but the first half when it all gets momentum is incredible

4. a little old-schoolish, with great guitar-like swirling synth in the beginning & end and great metallic "accidents" in the middle

5. just perfect, awesome climaxes, exceptionally well mid-section with 303-like squelches and again a very funny break with funny (IMO) sample

6. blinding, utterly superb, flaweless track! the best of the album IMO, very reminiscent of Mumbo Jumbo (similar bass and drums), but the acid lines, stereo-panning effects, drops and samples give goosebumps on my back everytime!!!

8. heavy, one of the fattest sounding tracks Bill ever produced! this saw-acid will rip wallpapers off your wall ;)

9. Billy - please release a chill album! this is his usual, guitar vs. acid & breaks down-tempo tune. splendid as always!

Not the best Cosmosis album, that's for sure. But it's solid 4/5 from me and easily gets in my top10 of 2005 albums :)

Edited by antic

and I was already starting to like you ;):D

personally, I think Billy's one of the best psytrance producers out there. he definitely has a sense of humour, a british "tongue in cheek"-type - just listen to the whole Mumbo Jumbo album or Stormy Monday on Trancendance! however, I see that this kind of humour does not appeal to everyone :( Skely, do you like Monty Python?

Not the best Cosmosis album, that's for sure. But it's solid 4/5 from me and easily gets in my top10 of 2005 albums :)

452480[/snapback]

Haha, hi there Artur. :P

Yeah, I like Monty Python. Some of it a lot but you have to admit that Monty is way more intelligent than the samples on Cosmosis, huh :huh: Or maybe you don't agree?

Anyhow, I simply can't see what a funny sample has to do in trance if it's not doing anything else than wanting to be funny. I don't get it.

But off course one might counter ask why "cool" samples, say, from Fear and loathing in las vegas are acceptable? Well, I think maybe they are somewhat more in line with the general idea of the music. And often these samples just poses sentences that works like questions, and when done good they work to me. Though I also hear stupid "cool" samples. Can't recall tracks right now, but stuff in techno like "the world" and shit. wtf !!!

I'm afraid this album doesn't make it higher than 2/5 on Skelly's list. It just really doesn't get to me, but I'm more of a proggy fella so ...

Different strokes for different folks. :rolleyes:

Guest antic

Anyhow, I simply can't see what a funny sample has to do in trance if it's not doing anything else than wanting to be funny. I don't get it.

fair enough, I simply do not treat trance as a serious music, that has to express some transcendental or philiosophical thoughts...

and I'm probably biased too, because I love Cosmosis from the very first tunes I've heard - somehow I fit right in with his british style of psychedelia, that does not necessary has to be serious (remember Green Nuns or Quirk? most of their tracks are "funny")

:)

fair enough, I simply do not treat trance as a serious music, that has to express some transcendental or philiosophical thoughts...

and I'm probably biased too, because I love Cosmosis from the very first tunes I've heard - somehow I fit right in with his british style of psychedelia, that does not necessary has to be serious (remember Green Nuns or Quirk? most of their tracks are "funny")

:)

453285[/snapback]

I agree it doesn't have to express transcendental or philosophical thoughts or anything. On the other hand, it has occasionally expressed such thoughts to me. And I doubt that will ever happer for me while listening to Tim Leary!

(It is Tim Leary, right? I think he's in there on Synergy too. And Contact).

I actually just listened to a couple of tracks from the album again. Yeah, some of the music is quite alright. I just can't get past those samples. Damn shame. Some of it could go all the way to 4/5, but the samples ruin my concentration and I know pretty sure it would be the same at a festival.

So yeah, the samples are important for me. Do you know Talpa The art of being non? Hate the album but there is one track "people are animals" on it. I LUV that track just because of the sample in the beginning. It's just amazing. And it's this that makes me love the track.

Stupid, maybe, but can't help it :ph34r:

• 2 years later...

COSMOSIS - TRANCENDANCE

HOLOPHONIC RECORDS

Posted Image

1. Spontaneous Combustion

2. Naked Chicks

3. Echoes In Eternity (Warm Saki)

4. Inside Yourself

5. One Blinding Illumination (This Is Me)

6. Stormy Monday

7. Re-Order

8. Dead Or Alive?

9. Time's Trip

I finally ordered this album via MP3 on Amazon for the first time in September 2008. It isn't bad. It's actually pretty good for Full On by today's standards. But it doesn't hold a flame to the first two. Furthermore, something seems to be missing. I feel like I'm getting a fraction of the Cosmosis presence even that the general sound has converted over into Full On with more or less solid results.

Cosmology was superb. Synergy was excellent. Intergalactic was was pretty good with several great and okay tracks combined. And Contact had a stronger theme and stronger melodies at times than Intergalactic but ultimately fell short of expectations. And Trancendance follows the same path without much incline or decline. It's more focused on being what it knows it is, that being Full On. So it has no identity crises. Cosmoses enthusiasts should find Trancendance entertaining. No more. No less. There are some pretty good melodies, sounds, and groovy rhythms and bass lines. But there lacks a song I find superb. No song here blows me away or impresses me as I still to this day am when hearing his first two albums. I'd say the album is filled with decent, pretty good songs. And that's why I find it a bit disappointing. Some of the tracks have a cool ride to them but they're ultimately empty otherwise.

Fortunately the melody/sound work becomes more gripping in tracks like Inside Yourslf and Stormy Monday. Though Cosmosis never achieves the same level of melody/sound intricacy and infection that he captured us with back on Cosmology and Synergy. And there's not one track I can really say is superb on Trancendance. Dead Or Alive? is another example of solid work. The opening melodies as well as the voice samples are stirring, capturing, and while the song gets to be a bit repeticious as it progresses, the returning melody/sounds and voice sample on forgiveness give the overall song a warm, emotive edge around the harder, gritty beat and soundscapes.

The voice samples on Naked Chicks (and there are some pretty goofy ones on this album that seem random, pointless even relative to the music around it) I don't really care for. But the silly voice samples are infrequent. They don't ruin the songs or the album per say.

But I do like the closing Downtempo number. It would be wonderful if this artist made an entire Downtempo album. Is this at all possible? He does great downtempo. Time Trip is very catchy, creative, and flowing. And his downtempo direction sounds more unique and refreshing than his Psytrance/Full On style on this album.

1. Spontaneous Combustion - B-

2. Naked Chicks - C+

3. Echoes In Eternity (Warm Saki) - B

4. Inside Yourself - B+

5. One Blinding Illumination (This Is Me) - B-

6. Stormy Monday - B+

7. Re-Order C+

8. Dead Or Alive? B

9. Time's Trip B+

In conclusion, what this artist did to the GOA and PSY genre with Cosmology and Synergy respectively made quite a positive impact. What Trancendance does to Full On Psytrance hardly makes a dent. But it's better than most Full On albums coming out now days. Though emphasized on style over substance, over heart and emotion. Trancendance is still a pretty cool album, though the Blue Sunday RMX (track #7) appears a bit out of place and unnecessary. It's actually not a bad remix but of a song not many people really care about. I have not ordered the album that followed this one, Psychedelic Melodica to date. Hopefully the next Cosmosis album will involve more power, infectious rhythms, sounds, melodies, climax, and heart, and pushes the limits if Cosmosis remains in Full On. And showcase more solid downtempo songs! Because Trancendance has fun inside a square and personally, it's comfortable in the moment but by larger, previous accomplishments, Trancendance isn't the super or superb album that it could have been.

Favorite tracks: 3, 4, 6, 9

B-

Previous Cosmosis album scores

- COSMOLOGY - A- / A

- SYNERGY - A-

- INTERGALACTIC - B-

- CONTACT - B-

9. Billy - please release a chill album!

Wow. I actually just read this after writing my review. Yes I agree. There's are many people throughout the world that really enjoy Cosmosis' chill, downtempo work. It would be wonderful if he made a Downtempo/Chill album. Can someone e-mail him, like tell him now, before we all get any older?