Top 10 section?

dmtree

So now that Isratrance pulled the nazi move of only letting blue- and green- lettered members (so-called 'artists' and so-called 'labels') post in their top 10 section, can we post top 10s somewhere on Psynews? It's a really nice promotional and music-sharing tool and even though I don't post mine very often, I enjoy reading them.

not sure if you guys are down with that kind of trafficking - just raising a question.

cheers

not sure what to think about it...

i guess it could be useful to see what tastes people who do reviews have...

i mean as long as it doesn't get as stupid as on isratrance (and i doubt it would) i have no pbs with it...

He maybe means Top Ten tracks at the moment, you know, what dj's like to make, to present to people new, fresh stuff...I wouldn't mind that since I am obsessed with sharing thoughts about good music with other people...;)

I've noticed this for around a year and said nothing until now.

On psyshop I click on "charts" every once in a while, and almost always, I get mostly Full On releases and around half or more of the list usually Full On comps!

I've been under the impression that these top 10 albums are simply albums that are the Top selling psytrance albums, but really, is that the real reason? You'd think they would be the most selling, but Top 10 could mean many things. Most of the albums on the top 10 usually suck unless you're a dj looking to buy general Full On for the clubs. I kept thinking, why the hell are these albums so popular... or on the Top 10 for so long and what is it really the Top 10 of ?

Go here and take a look for yourself.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/Charts.html

I am strongly opposed, top tens are just a streamlined way for traders to get their stuff out there. If you want to share what you feel is good why not start up an actual discussion instead of merely posting a list? That takes care of the kiddie pirates anyway, most of whom can't string a sentence together to save their lives... KILLLLLLAH.

Isra was hurting for so long thanks to the top 10s... good move on them.

- my 2 cents -

I am strongly opposed, top tens are just a streamlined way for traders to get their stuff out there. If you want to share what you feel is good why not start up an actual discussion instead of merely posting a list? That takes care of the kiddie pirates anyway, most of whom can't string a sentence together to save their lives... KILLLLLLAH.

Isra was hurting for so long thanks to the top 10s... good move on them.

- my 2 cents -

226701[/snapback]

In some ways that's true. Also, though, it's a great promotional tool for artists and DJs. Face it, trading will go on whether there is a Top 10 section or not - soulseek will make sure of that. the top 10s is just a really nice way to weed out the 90% of crap - both released and unreleased - from the 10% of actually decent music. Personally, I'd check the Isratrance top 10s and then go to Saikosounds and listen to the tracks if they're released. Granted, some of the time the tracks were crappy, but you just have to figure out whose taste to trust.

I actually think it is a relatively good idea on Isratrance's part.

Yes, there are a few yellow members whose taste I liked, but let's face it...

Well, I, personally would appreciate having it back the way it was, since I have finally learned whose tops to read and whose to avoid, but in general, not such a stupid idea.

The only drawback I see with this is the possibility of even more unreleased in the tops section with artists and labels only allowed to post. Yes, those will be unreleased tracks gotten ahold of legally, but it is still not interesting for me.

My two kopecks. :o

next i think on isratrance they should forbid people who are not artists from posting replies to top 10 hehe...

that way we might avoid the endless "killlaahhhh" comments and people sucking artist's ass...

226718[/snapback]

I think they have, but I might be wrong.

what really bugs me about the new isratrance rules is that artists and labels usually post nothing but their own stuff and their friends'. so it turns into nothing more than a regular promotional section. the most interesting top 10s were usually not posted by artists and/or label owners, but regular users, well, ones with good taste.

but yer right - killlaaaah comments are annoying as hell. but hey, freedom of speech, right. :P

i remember psynews a long long time ago had a section on the menu on the left side which said "our reviews" or " our best tracks" something like that ...

anyway it showed the top albums for each of the moderators (mars and all the others) and also their top songs ever and top songs at the moment.

when they reformulted the site i realized with great pitty, that part of the site didnt existed anymore.

anyone here remembers? B)

ps. and it also had a menu with top100 tracks ever...

well, I think if there was a top 10 section here, it would definitely take a different direction than on isratrance

Yes, basilisk, top 10 in isratrance is just a help for traders to search for music...

I think this is how it should be somehow.. I mean, taking myself as an example.. If I find some top 10 that has a few tracks I like, and some I dont like, I would definitely download the ones I dont know to check out (but of course I wouldnt post KILAAAAA comments).. Then, if I like the tracks and Im still under the budget of the month, I definitely buy what I like...

Im sure this happens with a lot of people, and would happen specially in psynews (where I have seen in discussions and such that many people trade, but all or almost all of these that trade also buy their favourites)

not to mention the fact that I would definitely go to some psyparty where some favourite that I just found out plays..

So I dont think it would be a bad thing.. I would like this to happen here

I think we should have a Top 10 funny words section.

words that just sound funny when you say them over and over.

my top 3 would be something like this

3. Anus

2. Elbow

1. Jabberwock

those are indeed, very funny words in my opinion. perhaps you guys can come up

with funnier words?

(this hasnt gone off-topic has it?)

edit: "banana-phone" is quite good as well.

Who is this "traders" anyway, and what is so horrible with them?

All the DJ's I know in the goa scene have always been "trading" tracks.

I mostly viewed them as dedicated music fans constantly looking for new music that they might like.

Gill for example is one of the typical DAT traders having copying sessions in goa, and he's posting top 10's on his site and in magazines all the time.

But yes, he's big and famous, so thats ok.

But if a young guy without connections is on the hunt for interesting music and find the labels too slow with releasing material or can't find much material he like released, then he's one of the bad traders.

It only reeks elitism to me, so I really must say I think all this discussions about kids posting unreleased tracks in a top 10 is mainly founded on two perspectives:

Either from people that is dedicated CD collectors who feel that it is unfair that they spend lots of money on their collection and always is one step behind because the labels is too slow and too limited in thier selection.

Or you have the traders who have a lot of copy sessions with their connections who feel their elit position is threatened because iit's much easier for anyone to build a collection of fresh or interesting non-released tracks.

It makes me feel very sad and loose all hope in this scene when people openly seem to be defending that only people with lots of money or connections should be able to get hold of the music.

Fuck the elitists.

Who is this "traders" anyway, and what is so horrible with them?

All the DJ's I know in the goa scene have always been "trading" tracks.

I mostly viewed them as dedicated music fans constantly looking for new music that they might like.

Gill for example is one of the typical DAT traders having copying sessions in goa, and he's posting top 10's on his site and in magazines all the time.

But yes, he's big and famous, so thats ok.

But if a young guy without connections is on the hunt for interesting music and find the labels too slow with releasing material or can't find much material he like released, then he's one of the bad traders.

It only reeks elitism to me, so I really must say I think all this discussions about kids posting unreleased tracks in a top 10 is mainly founded on two perspectives:

Either from people that is dedicated CD collectors who feel that it is unfair that they spend lots of money on their collection and always is one step behind because the labels is too slow and too limited in thier selection.

Or you have the traders who have a lot of copy sessions with their connections who feel their elit position is threatened because iit's much easier for anyone to build a collection of fresh or interesting non-released tracks.

It makes me feel very sad and loose all hope in this scene when people openly seem to be defending that only people with lots of money or connections should be able to get hold of the music.

Fuck the elitists.

226830[/snapback]

very well said...

and I mostly agree with you... but you gotta agree that there are indeed some ego-driven traders that never go to any party, just download music to show off their latest unreleased and maybe dont even enjoy the music so much, and may be doing more harm than good to the ´scene´..

of course, who are we to judge? I mean, this same person may from one day to the other change and start buying or going to parties or really enjoying the music and bringing others into it or whatever....

Im just saying that mp3s have their advantages and disadvantages, their bad side and the good side...

(btw, I always thought about this point you were mentioning that the people who have original collections feel threatened because traders can get better collections in no time, thus threatening the collector´s ´territorial´ position... you defined it very well :) )

still: I would like a top 10 section here, to check out the tastes of people I am talking to for a long time in this forum, and also to get to know new artists I didnt know before and are my taste :)

I think top 10 list is great... For everyone and should be written by anyone...

good for traders??... True that 10 ten list help traders but if you stop making top 10 list the trading won't be influenced in a miner direction... so I see no reason of not posting top 10's related to trading...

Pro top 10 for me is that everbodies top 10 changes all the time, week , month I believe it's safe to know peoples thought just like seraph said... Again my top 10 would be all old skool I discvored or re-discovered so... it won't be the most wanted morning fullon list of the month... ;)

I think we should have a Top 10 funny words section.

words that just sound funny when you say them over and over.

my top 3 would be something like this

3. Anus

2. Elbow

1. Jabberwock

those are indeed, very funny words in my opinion. perhaps you guys can come up

with funnier words?

(this hasnt gone off-topic has it?)

edit:  "banana-phone" is quite good as well.

226825[/snapback]

Perhaps: Wankle Rotary Engine =)

a) Yes B) Hello c) Good Evening!

(for you monty python fans)

-ensign

Whip it out!

How many times have you seen:

1. GMS

2. GMS

3. GMS + Skazi

4. GMS + CPU

5. Silicon Sound

6. GMS

7. Exaile

8. Kindazaza

9. Absolum + GMS

10. CPU + Absolum + Exaile + GMS

Hey...i'm due for a bulk purchase of audio materials and i'm curious as to what people think is cool. I don't waste my day-to-day existence watching top-10's though.

-dz

Whip it out!

How many times have you seen:

1. GMS

2. GMS

3. GMS + Skazi

4. GMS + CPU

5. Silicon Sound

6. GMS

7. Exaile

8. Kindazaza

9. Absolum + GMS

10. CPU + Absolum + Exaile + GMS

Hey...i'm due for a bulk purchase of audio materials and i'm curious as to what people think is cool.  I don't waste my day-to-day existence watching top-10's though. 

-dz

226972[/snapback]

I think there will always be those who like top 40 music. Just have to learn to avoid them and figure out which ones to pay attention to.

I don't waste my day-to-day existence watching top-10's though. 

226972[/snapback]

and that is your right... but if a top 10 section is created nobody says you have to go in that section so :P