Funky Psy

Strifer

I started casually listening to psy/goa trance music a few years ago, but I only really started to get into it.

I was wondering if there any acts that make psytrance with funk, not sure what it's called or how to describe what I am talking about, but I guess it's the more playful side of psytrance, with the more strange, creative, playful sounds. It has some funky vibes mixed in the psychedellic vibes. I have a cd from Mark Allen, Return to the source, electric safari mix, and there is a song on there, no.2 I think that seems to fit the bill.

any ideas would be cool,

:)

I started casually listening to psy/goa trance music a few years ago, but I only really started to get into it.

I was wondering if there any acts that make psytrance with funk, not sure what it's called or how to describe what I am talking about, but I guess it's the more playful side of psytrance, with the more strange, creative, playful sounds.  It has some funky vibes mixed in the psychedellic vibes.  I have a cd from Mark Allen, Return to the source, electric safari mix, and there is a song on there, no.2 I think that seems to fit the bill.

any ideas would be cool,

:)

221078[/snapback]

Closest i could think of was Bonky, Loopus In Fabula.

I think u should also check the suomi style which includes elements of Funk (Correct me if i am mistaken guys)

Salakavala

Antiscarp Warriors

Kiwa

I would recommend:

Haltya - Electric Help Elves

Maskalin - Way of Life

Squaremeat will probably do the trick too.

About the second track on the Electric Safari compilation, that's Electric Tease:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Electric+Tease

Btw, Tim Healey used to work with Mark Allen as Quirk. As Quirk they released one of the best psy-trance albums: Machina Electrica & Fornax Chemica

Saiko-Pod - Silent Running

221089[/snapback]

love it, best use of guitar in a psytrance track according to me :)

also agree with Loopus in fabula, try...

Loopus in fabula - Loopus in fabula (Demon tea recordings, 2002)

Benza - Benza (Demon tea recordings, 2003)

VA : Ultrapop (Fabula records, 2004) <--- really good!

gmo - groovy day

shakta - feed the flame

Lots of new progressive has got some funky influences...

beat bizarre - pandoras groove box

Haldolium - Vanity and Happiness

krueger and coyle

the osmotic effect - food for the spirit

tomtron & liesegang - electric tandem

Guest Astro Cortex

The Great Unknown again here :)

Let me also add: Squaremeat - Squarebeat

And let's not forget about Eat Static, they're the masters of funk in my book. Take the track Epsylon for example, it doesn't get much funkier than this :D

WHAT?! Did I just walk into a discussion on funky psy that forgets about EAT STATIC??! Oh wait, phew ^^ just above here. Get the albums Crash 'n Burn and ESPECIALLY In the Nude! Get 'em!!!

I tend to find that the true funky psy is often found in obscure places... Sinister Funk - Jungle Funk for example. You have to go digging :) UltraPop on Fabula recs is one of the very very few I've seen that delve right into it for a whole album. Go back many years to Symbiosis and their compilation entitled simply "Funk" and I tend to feel that they were totally missing the point. That is one seriously unfunky record.

I don't think its fair to say funk is simply a groovy feel to the music... I gotta hear the guitars and disco samples people! Haltya do a great job on the original side, but many other artists have an effective us of samples... funky psy rocks! Get shakin'!

get the "Schizm" compilation, there's lots of crazy and funky psy on that album...

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7813&hl=

WHAT?! Did I just walk into a discussion on funky psy that forgets about EAT STATIC??!

..........................and ESPECIALLY In the Nude!

221350[/snapback]

I kinda like the In the nude album, but the names above like Koxbox The great unknown, Saiko-Pod Putures and options, Deamon tea recordings, Loopus in fabula, Reefer Decree, etc. are much more funky IMO : )

...and perhaps i can add this one : Oryx - Advanced retromodel (Iboga records, 2004), typically the Reefer Decree's basslines. Groovy if not funky.

Quirk - Spy vs Spy . is what you need :)

221119[/snapback]

Anything by Quirk really would fit the bill, at least the stuff they made before the "Quality Control" album. "Robotised", "Dimension Disco", "Cognitive Dissidents", "Ping", the list goes on. Also check out the tracks they made using the Quixotic alias.

And what about Hux Flux?

Closest i could think of was Bonky, Loopus In Fabula.

I think u should also check the suomi style which includes elements of Funk (Correct me if i am mistaken guys)

Salakavala

Antiscarp Warriors

Kiwa

221079[/snapback]

I seen loopus play on Sunday morning he was realy good and knew how to make a party happen I seen him do the walk around the dance floor first to see which way the party was swinging and that def impressed me..