FSOL - Dead Cities

seraph

by you?

if yes, why dont you post it here? do you snob psynews or sth ? :D :D :D

317052[/snapback]

Because it's TC exclusive. You're welcome to read it however. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not exactly the same, FSOL have one different tone and it makes all the difference, My Kingdom is a masterpiece while the Vangelis 'original' is just good.

315774[/snapback]

hey watch it! "just good"? "just good"??? NNOOOOO!

the original by vangelis is one of my favorite tunes of all time. one of the few tracks that have the "extra magical feel".. :P

p.s. have u seen bladerunner?

on topic:

dead cities was one of my first electronic music albums.. one of those cds you have a special bond to, you know ; ) I love it!! its surely something "showing the path" of musical/artistic evolution!

like gnome said: perfect...

• 4 months later...

FSOL is in my psychedelic collection.

I was at a party a while back when papau new guinea came on and god DAmn if 1000 people didn't seem to agree with me. That's not even their best work!

• 5 months later...

This is probably the creepiest and psychedelic-est album ever written. Darkpsy my ass. The atmosphere in this album is incredibly scary, but oh so beautiful. Seems like I can't get tired of hearing this one. Wow. So good!

I won't disagree with any of you. I have finally heard this album on this date, 2006.

Track 5 is both sad and powerful.

Track 6, My Kingdom is beautiful and how the song develops into those voice sounds is great!

The album has sounds that provoke such feelings, dreamy ideas, thoughts, and visuals. It's atmospheric, melodic, sad, dark, beautiful, peaceful, innovative, moody, and catchy.

I did hear "We have Explosives" on a techno comp back in 1997 though. It's a good song. I don't consider every song spectacular or excellent, but anyone can argue that because of it's time. And I'm not here to argue. This is an excellent album.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through an FSOL phase back in the late 90s. I really enjoyed Lifeforms, but just about everything else lacked substance for me. And then The Isness came along and sealed my right to call them hacks. We Have Explosive is still a pretty good track, though. It's the only track I've kept from all their albums. I remember Dead Cities being a hunk of junk.

• 1 month later...

The album is more structured and "straight"

(in FSOL's limits) than LifeForms, with

less musical landscapes, less monotony and just a few dead moments.

Very innovative in creating musical situations never heard before.

Even if it features a mainstream dancefloor track (we have explosive)

some other tracks are ill ,slow and paranoic.

I would have appreciated some faster bpm here and there.

It's a very good cd , but to fully appreciate it

you must be in the right mood and in the right environment ...

don't listen to it on your car before going to work , wait for 3 A.M. and let

night and music wash away all the shit the dead city spreads on you ...

Favourite track : Antique toy

8/10

• 3 months later...

Also my favourite from FSOL. Definitely 10/10. Unbelievably great album. I don't have enough adjectives for this! This is an incredible blend of weird rhythms, awesome moments of beauty and other magical sonic trickery.

Really one of my all-time favourite albums, of all music genres :)

• 7 months later...

FSOL - DEAD CITIES

Track list:

01 Herd Killing

02 Dead Cities 2

03 Her Face Forms in Summertime

04 We Have Explosives

05 Everyone In the world is doing something without me

06 My Kingdom

07 Max

08 Antique Toy

09 Quagmire

10 Glass

11 Yage

12 Vit Drowning

13 First death in the family

I'm convinced after over 10 years. This album is awesome. It has to be [at times] one of the darkest ambient albums out there. The track variety, how often each song differentiates from the other is great. Add that to the wide level of sounds used throughout out album. Every track is unique and often thought provoking and moody. There's even a banging techno tune titled We have Explosives which most of us have heard. Most of the tracks here are great, excellent. I love how moody the overall album is. Each track seems to compliment the one beth before and after it in some way. More impressive is how loving and filled with LIGHT some of the songs are while others are DARK as hell. Honestly, I listen to this album straight through. Even when I hit tracks less strong like Antique Toy, the less super songs seem to do a wonderful job in fronting the next. This album deserves more credit than it has gotten. It's an underrated gem. Maybe, just maybe, this is a masterpiece. It sounds unlike anything I've ever heard and it's very catchy and interesting. This is one to shut your eyes to and imagine, or just float away.

Favorite tracks: 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11

A- / A

My Kingdom is soooooo good..... in every detail... haunting, bombastic, subtle and beautiful all in one track..... the unique sounds and samples and the cool, weird melodies and they all fit together. AWESOME.

I agree. Especially around the 5-6 minute part foward. My Kingdom is powerful and emotional. I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Kingdom is soooooo good..... in every detail... haunting, bombastic, subtle and beautiful all in one track..... the unique sounds and samples and the cool, weird melodies and they all fit together. AWESOME. This is the shit.

yes!

This is as close to perfection as albums come for me. So moving, touching, emotional, psychedelic, everything at the same time. Brilliant!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I felt this was pretty good, but nowhere near the total revolutionary experience you guys thought it was. As I'm listening to it straight through with the lights off and nobody home to bother me, I find that it doesn't maintain it's post-apocalyptic feel. I can however appreciate its use of sounds and mixing of genres. This is a very full production.

And stupidfatugly (that kills me every time I see it) I also like Everyone in the World Is Doing Something Without Me

Mdk