Lets see your sound system!

filthysock

I just settled into a new apartment and have an office room, a living room (and a kitchen actually) that I'd like to put new sound systems into... so I'm looking for inspiration for new sound systems to get. And I'd like to see what you Psy-heads have. So boast, post pics, show and tell!

The D5 or D8? Let us know how they are!

D8. Look I can tell you from my friend's studio they are amazing value for money if aesthetics aren't important. They are big & quite clunky looking. My friend has Adam, Eve & these as monitors (he's a gear junky) as well as some other uber expensive ones he paid $20,000 for. Anyway, we found that the D8's are easily on par with the more expensive Adam & Eve monitors over a spectrum of music (classical, drum & bass, prog house, modern Goa trance, Ultimae & old school jazz). Very flat and natural sound. I think the D8's are still on sale direct from direct from Equator.

Mine won't arrive for some time as they don't distribute in Australia yet. Then I need to break them in of course but cannot wait to hear my modular rack through them. I can't say too much about the psychedelic trance sound as currently I'm deep in to progressive house, deep house & Detroit style techno production wise.

Thanks!

They are on my wish list as well, but I think about getting the D5's instead, since I'm moving to a smal(ler) room. Since this year they're easily to get via Thomann, and cost 444€ for a pair. Which is probably still cheaper than buying them via the States and getting them through customs. Don't know anyone who has them though, I could be wrong but I have the feeling that their value isn't really known to "the public".

Nah their a tiny company. I thought they'd take off after the glowing review earlier this year in Sound On Sound magazine. Actually the few I know who have them say the D5 is punchier in the low end. I'm actually considering switching for that reason or else I'll need a woofer eventually.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Source1 : Technics SL-110+SME series 3arm+Shure V15 III cart + jelco stylus

Source 2 : Sony CDP

btyL7Ot.jpg

Phonostage & Amplification : CNC phono -> DCB1 buffer

DMeBRok.jpg

IC's : Gotham GAC2 terminated with neutrik profi connectors

Speakers : utter shit! Klipsch 2.1 multimedia

Gave away the NAD power amp and custom FS due to lack of time and space. Both occupied by books these days. The Klipsch multimedia are fine for couple of hours of listening, once in a while.

On the go : iPod shuffle(1st gen), iPod classic(160), iPhone --> Klipsch image S4i || Audio Technica Pro 700 MK2's.

Future :

Lenco L75 + Technics SP 10 ,

Lyrita Phonostage ->Lyrita pre-power tube amplifier

Tannoy 12"

Done. That's it :) I would be happy with that.

for my future purchases i think ill go back to the Presonus Audiobox 22 VSL, had no problems with it, great asio driver, and great latency.

But in the future when these purchases will happen, It'll probably end up being something completely different as I dont see me affording this stuff for at least another year :(

for monitors i have had a couple of different ones, last ones I had was KRK RP 5, but for some reason I didnt like them , they didnt give me an honest bass, they probably needed a subwoofer aswell.

So for my next monitors Ill definately have to go with ones that go down to at least 40-50hz. Preferably even lower.

the KRK RP 5 G3 GOLD seems nice, as I dont want to spend more than around 300 euro for a pair.

Im also looking into Samson Resolv SE-8.

But who knows . Its going to be faar into the future and I really would like a pair of genelec in the 500 euro range :)

Just love the sound of Genelec for some reason. Seems made for goatrance :)

Behringer Truth series has some really cheap ones too, and they get a bad rep, but they arent that bad actually!

Bump! would love to see Padmapanis little studio :) And of course, all of yours aswell!

monitors:

A8XPAIRRP-Adam-A8X-8.5-in-PAIR-of-2-Way-

i'm still in the phase of internalising their sound. not quite ready for mixing on these yet, but for the first time i can actually hear enough bass and subbass to make decisions based on what i hear rather than guesswork :)

headphones:

0020120701_1370-455x525.jpg

also very nice, but very different sound than my monitors.

interface:

Steinberg-UR22.jpg

does its job. i don't feel that there any real differences as long as you don't buy a 15€ piece of garbage. it sounds nearly as good if i use the analog output of my computer instead. the only thing is that without the interface there are very audible humming and hissing noises at higher volumes.

the reason i chose this over other interfaces is just that my headphones require lots of power to drive and the ur22 was better in this respect than the competition.

Its going to be faar into the future and I really would like a pair of genelec in the 500 euro range :)

Just love the sound of Genelec for some reason. Seems made for goatrance :)

DT990 Pro + E10K

DT990PRO_250.jpg

960x720xIMG_1726-1024x768.jpg.pagespeed.

They have a V shaped sound, heavy on the bass and treble - just the way I like it :) There is no better sounding option anywhere near this price that I've come across. I use this for any 'serious' listening.

When my gf is in the room with me, I play through my little Audioengine A2 speakers which get the job done, but you can tell that they can't match the DT 990

2-2gho.jpg

Padmapani, the quote from me in the end regarding Genelec, did that mean you agreed with it or ..? I didnt see any answer in your post to it, just the quote :)

Btw what brand is those monitors? looks like yamaha or behringer? alesis?

edit: clicked the link, but I dont recognize the brand. whats the frequency range of those and the price range?

Ideally I want Genelecs in the upper 700 euro range, but not more, there is no point having equipment that is "better" than where you are at in your production skill. Its like leveling in a game.

If you level your production skill, you'll also have to upgrade gear to match :)

So I would really settle for a 150 euro soundinterface, and a 200 euro pair of monitors, tbh.

like i said, behringer truth are maybe not the best by far, but they are cheap, and they actually arent as bad as people give them credit for.

their mixerboards however, are notorious of having really bad sounding EQ and generally plastic and poor build quality..

I mean, if you have had the chance of listening to the EQ on a real SSL board its hard coming back from that afterward.

but there are really good software for example Fabfilter Pro Q - is a VERY good EQ.

Padmapani, the quote from me in the end regarding Genelec, did that mean you agreed with it or ..? I didnt see any answer in your post to it, just the quote :)

Btw what brand is those monitors? looks like yamaha or behringer? alesis?

edit: clicked the link, but I dont recognize the brand. whats the frequency range of those and the price range?

Ideally I want Genelecs in the upper 700 euro range, but not more, there is no point having equipment that is "better" than where you are at in your production skill. Its like leveling in a game.

If you level your production skill, you'll also have to upgrade gear to match :)

there should have been some discussion of the genelecs up there, but apparently the board software ate it. also i just replied to this post, but stupid me inadvertently closed the wrong browser window just before hitting "post", so i'll just give you the short version now:

genelecs sound nice for goa trance and seem to be pretty linear. they would have been my second choice for monitors (didn't take them because the comparable model would have cost 200€ more and didn't sound quite as clear, while having better midrange and not quite as good bass).

mine are adam a8x. they go from 38hz to 50khz and cost me 600 and something a piece.

i don't think the equipment should match your production skills. even if you don't produce any music, you still have an awesome sound system for listening if you have nice speakers ;)

there should have been some discussion of the genelecs up there, but apparently the board software ate it. also i just replied to this post, but stupid me inadvertently closed the wrong browser window just before hitting "post", so i'll just give you the short version now:

genelecs sound nice for goa trance and seem to be pretty linear. they would have been my second choice for monitors (didn't take them because the comparable model would have cost 200€ more and didn't sound quite as clear, while having better midrange and not quite as good bass).

mine are adam a8x. they go from 38hz to 50khz and cost me 600 and something a piece.

i don't think the equipment should match your production skills. even if you don't produce any music, you still have an awesome sound system for listening if you have nice speakers ;)

allright:) Yeah you are right I used to have a pair of KRK RP5, and while they where cheap and not very good, at least it was awesome to have a pair of active powerful speakers next to your screen.

I used to put my monitors on 5-6 foam mousepads, like $1 each, just to eliminate any vibrations. I also had a very thick velvet curtains behind them. So I had a pretty good setup then, back in 2006.

Now its just money issues as usual.. so my next monitors will probably be either yamaha, behringer, alesis or krk..

as long as i dont need an extra subwoofer (which i did with the RP5, they only went down to like 60hz or something... yours sound sweet going all the way down to 38hz!! awesome without a sub.

and 50khz is just crazy :D I always cut all my tracks att 21khz with an eq, also cut everything below 30hz.

The eq doesnt eliminate sounds in that range, but certainly limits them, making more room for dynamics thus being able to mix the track a bit louder without loss of dynamics.

I use Waves R EQ2 x2 for this, in my mastering chain. I like those eqs for this purpose because they give a nice hi-pass and lo-pass curve. some EQs have way to big of a curve for this purpose.

mousepads... :D

Now its just money issues as usual.. so my next monitors will probably be either yamaha, behringer, alesis or krk..
as long as i dont need an extra subwoofer (which i did with the RP5, they only went down to like 60hz or something... yours sound sweet going all the way down to 38hz!! awesome without a sub.
and 50khz is just crazy :D I always cut all my tracks att 21khz with an eq, also cut everything below 30hz.

when listening to a whole rack of different kinds of monitors before buying anything, i was quite impressed with some of the yamahas. not quite as clear as the more expensive ones obviously, but imho the pair of 200€ yamaha monitors sounded flatter and more precise than any model from krk (even ones for double the price) they had in the shop.

60hz? i can imagine that being pretty boring or outright impossible without a sub for electronic music.

no need for a sub was a criterion. sub placement is often problematic (and my room and setup is fucked up enough as it is ;) ) as well as having the monitors cut off and the sub coming in at the right point in the freq. spectrum...

they claim that going up to 50khz guarantees a flat freq response. i rather suspect that these ribbon tweeters (which really do sound nice) just up to 50khz without any hassle, and they use that for marketing purposes. no one's going to hear even half the frequency they claim anyway ;) i certainly don't hear anything above 18-19khz and i'm still fine compared to many others of my age...

yes, it was impossible to mix properly without a sub with those KRK ones i had. Was a shitty purchase. :/
They are just generally not good. And yup, Ive listened to both yamahas cheaper ones, alesis cheapest ones, and behringer mid-range ones (which qualifies for cheaper ones on other brands) and they all sound okay.
Its just important for me that they go down to at least 30hz or something close to that.

Haha wasnt mousepads a good idea though? :D Cheap and very effective :)

And yeah, adding a sub to a monitor setup is a mess, alot more trouble and problematic if you have a small studio in your home. Sure, in a professional setting, why not, but at home, no, youre alot better off with just having a good pair with a nice deep bass to them instead. Completely agree. Im also pretty sure the Sub would lie to you in the beginning especially when mixing the kickdrum. It would probably feel awesome and hear awesome but then you go check it out on your reference setup (which for me is always poweramp in my SGS5 and my pair of pretty expensive plugin-headphones - where i know how everything should sound - everyone needs a reference listening environment, and it can be whatever you feel is where you know exactly how it should sound. Which of course will be the monitors jobs, once you get to know them) that your track lack alot of bass.
And that the sub fooled you as hell.
Also my KRK speakers fooled me all the time. Especially with the treble. So I had a really hard time getting to know them, and the mixing never came out good. but then again that was in 2006, now it would be a whole other story.

sigh.

another interesting thread and convo just dying.

seems like noone bothers to even try to keep threads going...

oh well. im not gonna try alone so ill join the rest of you and just stay silent.

thankfully there are alot of other forums that are very much active and interesting threads like this would not just die off like that, without even a response . .

Relax AP :)

I would, but this all wwooosh, going above my head.

I've not heard anyone speak about GR-research bookshelves may be because they are passive speakers and no one here is into diy stuff? but man, I have a chance of buying these Encore X - LS. I'm in such a dilemma right now. look at them. Look at that Ferrari red and white!

s2rKBVh.jpg
vFdzgcZ.jpg
Z2ZrJ5y.jpg

I'm not a studio producer... I just have a home cinema setup with some cheap DJ gear, nothing specal, just value for money (some I get either for free or next to nothing from work.... pics will follow)

Speakers: Taga harmony 606 v2
kolumny_zestawy_taga_tav_606v3_p_big.jpg

Sub: Magnat Monitor Supreme 302A Mocca

2598959_1_1395879230.jpg

Headphones: Akiyama HDJ-9700

hdj9700.jpg

Amp:Yamaha Rx-V2600 (this is actually very good, bought it second hand for only 300 eur)

Yamaha_RX-V2700_CES%20Day%203_20070110_0

Mixer: American Audio Q-spand (got it for free from a studio that did some renovations)

qspandaajpg.jpg_13.jpg

Cd Deck: NUmark CDN36 (Again for free from the studio)
JL943695.jpg

vinyl decks: 2 x technics sl-bd22d (both need fixing, got them for free from our warehouse)

4111-tec_SL-BD22D.jpg

Finally, this work

1625477_613000515433365_1550240871_n.jpg

this is a pic from last year, now we have even more gear. For sound mostly L-acoustics, Audio Performance Switzerland, some Clair brothers, some EV and some Montarbo.

At the office I have a pair of self powered Meyer studio monitors + genelec sub (cost about 10.000 eur all together). Which get totally wasted since I can't turn them up more then whisper level since there's people working. Obviously, they are company property, not mine.