Oforia - Texture - why not mentioned on this forum

radi6404

Why is this album not mentioned as a great ambient recommendation here on this forum? I find this album to be a very good ambient album, that is just as ambient has to be. It is electronic, has lots of melody and great sound quality. Some tracks are more psychedelic while others are more intresting and chilly. It is not the strongest ambient album as a whole but it is very good and diverse. Some tracks have vocals, others have orientalic instruents, some are purely electronic, some are happy, some are melancholic and dark, as a whole an abmient album that could be released 10 years earlier aswell. The album was rleased 2009, had it been released 1999, it would not sound different. So why isn´t it mentioned as a great ambient album? What do you think about it? It is not the most complex sort of ambient, but it has elements that I like, especially the electronic synth sounds.

i'll take a stab in the dark here

maybe because people don't like it?

or don't know it

or couldn't give a shit about it

personally never heard it, never been big fan of his so............

at least you got one repy radi, more than a few words, oughta tie you over for a few minutes ;)

Everyone has a different opinion, that is understandable. To me I don`t give much importance about complexity or variety, as long as the music is made with synthsounds that were used back in the days. This album sounds purely electronic and has the same synthsounds that Oforia has been using always.

That title track is one of the blandest things i've ever heard, absolute elevator / hotel lobby music. I don't think it uses any of the same synth sounds that were used in his Tandu or Pigs in Space tunes, they have no analogue quality to them. The percussion i very thinly thought out as well. I actually like a lot of Oforia tracks as well, but this really doesn't warrant any dicussion.

That title track is one of the blandest things i've ever heard, absolute elevator / hotel lobby music. I don't think it uses any of the same synth sounds that were used in his Tandu or Pigs in Space tunes, they have no analogue quality to them. The percussion i very thinly thought out as well. I actually like a lot of Oforia tracks as well, but this really doesn't warrant any dicussion.

In my opinion the synths do have an analogue quality to them and I fail to understand, how you label them as not analogue. The synths have a very similar sound signature to them as older Oforia tracks from the nineties. Many tracks are filled with stringsounds, that can be heart in any goa trance track. No glitches and no high frequency sounds can be heart in that album. Even though the album may be simple in sound, I highly respect the artist for not including any newschool downbeat elements like the glitch or the high frequency sounds and percussion, which are so annoying to me. This album is simple music, but it has interesting parts and sounds like real music, it neither does sound fragmented, nor like plastic vst sound generated by bad quality, yet expensive synthsounds.

I just cannot see the similarity in synth sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YMzbAVrq50

Lead synth at 5:20, nothing like. Much more analogue, with texture, not the utterly smooth, digitized sound of the downbeat track mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3z4b5r94Rk

Or this lead at 4:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGCYhywCeTA

4:48

I seriously do not see any similarity whatsoever between the sounds used in early Oforia with this downbeat track which is suitable as background music for a shopping centre.

Well, if your evaluation of thelatest Oforia is like that, I guess I have to accept it. I just think that he at least managed to not use any glitch and other smooth, high frequency sounds like the newschool ambient artists. Besides that I find the synths on that album well sounding, they don`t sound overly digital to me. They sound fine. I don´t know if you have worked with digital synths like Vanguard, z3ta, Albino and others, but it is very hard to get an analogue sound out of those.

Well, if your evaluation of thelatest Oforia is like that, I guess I have to accept it. I just think that he at least managed to not use any glitch and other smooth, high frequency sounds like the newschool ambient artists. Besides that I find the synths on that album well sounding, they don`t sound overly digital to me. They sound fine. I don´t know if you have worked with digital synths like Vanguard, z3ta, Albino and others, but it is very hard to get an analogue sound out of those.

admit it radi....... it's crap!

move on

No it´s not crap and I am surprised to hear such hard words from you, a father of children. It is a good peace of music and if it does not meet your expectations, it is still not crap. I don`t even label music that I don`t like as crap, but I guess that wil change in future. If you take the right, to call that album crap, I take the right to call some newschool goa trance and ambient crap and insult it in different ways. But I guess my morality wont allow me doing that.

im surprised some here compare this track "textures" with Tandu or Pigs in space, it's like comparing X-dream 's Trip to trancesylvania with We interface... can't compare.

To answer radi's question, guess people dont mention it:

1/because its not psytrance

2/it's a kind of music not many people are fond of

3/indeed as said above it's a MP3 web album

personnally never knew the existence of this album until today, listened to the title track on youtube, i don't think it's terrible but it's not my cup of tea.

But more and more artists are releasing webalbums lately and they should be regarded as real albums just as albums on cde. We have to support the artists and don`t make a difference to whether the album is only available in the internet or as a pressed media. For example Elysium released some great downbeat music on soundcould and probably many people don`t know about it. Ott released a webalbum aswell, Mir. I am sure not not a high percentage of people know about Mir aswell, altough it is an impressive album.

But more and more artists are releasing webalbums lately and they should be regarded as real albums just as albums on cde. We have to support the artists and don`t make a difference to whether the album is only available in the internet or as a pressed media. For example Elysium released some great downbeat music on soundcould and probably many people don`t know about it. Ott released a webalbum aswell, Mir. I am sure not not a high percentage of people know about Mir aswell, altough it is an impressive album.

some albums get under the radar because not advertised ... check this THE MUSES RAPT album for example http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php/topic/65199-the-muses-rapt-human-no-label-2012/?p=1006484 totally obscure release, very nice album IMO but hardly known.

No it´s not crap and I am surprised to hear such hard words from you, a father of children. It is a good peace of music and if it does not meet your expectations, it is still not crap. I don`t even label music that I don`t like as crap, but I guess that wil change in future. If you take the right, to call that album crap, I take the right to call some newschool goa trance and ambient crap and insult it in different ways. But I guess my morality wont allow me doing that.

not sure what me being a father has got do with it?

so I played this track to my daughter and asked what she thought?

reply.......... it's stupid!

9 years old, and even she knows it's crap!

just my opinion radi (along with most others who have replied on this thread)

and I am entitled to that, as you are also, you want people to reply to your threads.... then you need to take that on board.

this is why people treat you how they do.

you still seem to not get it.

as for your stance on new school, you can say what ever you like, but unforunatley you are a big minority on this site, as most people here, like it, love it, are cool with it.

sucks being in a minority doesn't it?

or you can embrace it... the fact you are different, and have personal choice to like or not like what ever you choose.

but we all have that choice.. remember that.

happy daze radi!

life is gooooooooood!

but my opinion not changed it's still crap!

long live tandu and pigs in space.

oh pigs do fly!

Jesus christ that was bad. I could only listen to literally about one minute. Pure ambient admittedly is not my thing, but I can still hear when something sounds...mediocre. Just... yuck.

Perhaps that's why no one talks about it. Or maybe they do, on an ambient forum somewhere?

It's (1) a digital only release, that is enough to make it less known.

But releases from a digital label like NeoGoa (to mention one label of our style) are quite known because they are advertised heavily, unlike the damned release you opened a topic about. So reason (2) is that.

And (3), does't sound exactly like a nice release. But makes good background music while relaxing in a spa.

Is that enough reasons for it to be unknown?

Take the positive side - after this thread it might gain an inch of popularity.

You're the promoter Radi, draw attention to things you like and make people aware of them. But don't always start with "why is no one talking about this here?" Just introduce it and don't complain of people don't like it or don't bother to reply to the thread at all. As you can see this is not to many people's tastes, I didn't mind the snippit I heard but it wasn't anything like good enough to make me turn off what I was listening too :P

Take the positive side - after this thread it might gain an inch of popularity.

the thing i'll never understand with radi, if you like a certain album why do you care so much about other people liking it or not ? if you like an album everyone is hating, that makes you special in a way :D