Musical Taste maturation over time?

Shpongled247

So I got to thinking about my own musical tastes and how they have changed slightly over the years, even just within the psytrance genre.

I think as I've dug deeper I have been able to "refine" my tastes and really find the goa or psy that I love the most.

Also I've become more open to sub genres I originally dismissed entirely. Where I once heard extremely boring going nowhere "music" in some minimal and prog I can now appreciate it for the complex build up and controlled release style. Maybe I'm just getting old? :P

Either way I find it quite interesting how my own perceptions of music can change so dramatically. I'm trying to work out exactly how and what catalysed such thing.

Do everyone's tastes change over time? Did you ever dismiss something only to suddenly "get it" years later?

For me this changes quite often. I have been listening to the electronic stuff since I can think of, but it was a long way.. :D started with the early german techno stuff, than I moved over to trance, hard-trance and finally ended up with listening to hardcore (was a hyped here around 2000) quite a lot for some time. Than the first minimal (as known from today) acts came up and I moved over... slowing finding into prog psy and finally ending up with night / fullon psy as of today :D

What drives me listening to new music... hmm... very good question^^

Don't really know.. the wish to hear something new? I usually end up on a genre/style being bored about that tracks start sounding same, can't find new innovative tracks.. and that's usually the time when I start listening to other stuff. If I find something I like I will look for more artists and so it goes on^^

So at least for me these changes aren't slightly over years, but more of a regular cycle *g* (although the psytance cycle now already lasts pretty long and doesn't seem to end that soon as there so much variety on that genre as probably nowhere else^^)

While I no longer listen to most of the music I liked between the ages of about 14 to 18, my music taste has only expanded in adulthood, rather than changed. What I mean is that I'm continually getting into new stuff (most recently I was surprised to find that there's a lot of contemporary worship music I enjoy) but I still like the large majority of the music I liked in my 20's.

Also I've become more open to sub genres I originally dismissed entirely. Where I once heard extremely boring going nowhere "music" in some minimal and prog I can now appreciate it for the complex build up and controlled release style. Maybe I'm just getting old? :P

yes! as long as you're referring to minimal-psy/techtrance with "minimal" i have exactly the same thing ;)

i come from a huge musical family early influences of big band swing, disco, psy rock etci been activley buying music since i was 8 years old, started with 80's pop music, michael jackson etc, then when twisted sister stay hungry came out, that changed everything! huge into all genres of metal right from the go, n.w.o.b.h.m, thrash death etc, then the grunge scene, bit late on electronic front, techno and prog house/trance around 94 got into psytrance around 95-96, then bam! was purchasing around 20 cds a week for years, of goa, psy early prog etc, now, love it all and listen to it all. my total collection of vinyls and cds etc, over 5000 last time counted, that after i did the big sell off, alot of you benefited from few years ago, only buy goa cd's and new zealand cd's these days, not really many at that, but love it all still to this day

For me this changes quite often. I have been listening to the electronic stuff since I can think of, but it was a long way.. :D started with the early german techno stuff, than I moved over to trance, hard-trance and finally ended up with listening to hardcore (was a hyped here around 2000) quite a lot for some time. Than the first minimal (as known from today) acts came up and I moved over... slowing finding into prog psy and finally ending up with night / fullon psy as of today :D

What drives me listening to new music... hmm... very good question^^

Don't really know.. the wish to hear something new? I usually end up on a genre/style being bored about that tracks start sounding same, can't find new innovative tracks.. and that's usually the time when I start listening to other stuff. If I find something I like I will look for more artists and so it goes on^^

So at least for me these changes aren't slightly over years, but more of a regular cycle *g* (although the psytance cycle now already lasts pretty long and doesn't seem to end that soon as there so much variety on that genre as probably nowhere else^^)

EXACTLY!! You took the words right out of my mouth ;) Once I realize that artists are more concerned with following a certain formula rather than express their creativity I usually move on to another subgenre... which also has it's own "formula" but at least I don't know it yet so I keep listening to that for a while and then move on again etc.

And I also try to keep in mind that no matter how overdone and formulaic a certain sub-genre has become there will ALWAYS be a track that will totally blow your mind if you dig hard enough and those are the moments where you feel it was totally worth it :)

a recent example in comercially over-hyped full-on would be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCeXfXL-FE

Now as a general rule, I have to admit that with age I tend to orient myself towards (relatively) calmer tracks in psytrance, I find it difficult to stand a whole party with ONLY dark psy or twilight (which are missing the whole point on the death-rebirth ritualistic theme that are what made psytrance parties special in the first place BTW). On the other hand I find that in periods where I just want to dance myself silly to some very hard and pumping music I prefer hardcore to psy (even to ultra-fast high-tech), somehow that distorted kick just makes me want to dance more than the fast droning bassline of psytrance.

BUT, whatever I do, I find that I ALWAYS end up re-listening to my oldschool classics after a while and end up thinking "damn, these tracks just WERE better!"... is it nostalgia? or was there simply more effort and creativity put into them than with more recent stuff?

age definatley.... pushing 40 now, with no styles i don't like, am looking back over the stuff i really like, to the artists i missed back in the day, are things slowing down? yeah a little, think thats why i like prog more these days, (i guess 10 or so bpm can make a difference) but.... the kog keeps turning and always on the look out for the next BIG thing for me, do like some pop music of today, since youtube especially am still realising, no matter the trends, no matter whats cool, or not, its music, i either like it or i don't, and don't let anyone, thing, hype or anything else change that.

i like what i like,

that is most important

besides my children, it brings more happieness in my life than anything else

BUT, whatever I do, I find that I ALWAYS end up re-listening to my oldschool classics after a while and end up thinking "damn, these tracks just WERE better!"... is it nostalgia? or was there simply more effort and creativity put into them than with more recent stuff?

Same where - also enjoy listening to good old tracks, there are some that just never become boring.

About the creativity on a genre.. have a theory about, but that can't prove it :D

It's the $$$.

On new or subculture/underground genres you find a lot of artists that make music just because of the fun. They want to express their ideas and shared it with others, that's the strongest drive behind. Lots of them aren't fulltime artists, they have normal jobs but spend every free minute on making music. Only very few of them can actually life from their music, simply because of the small communities and their sounds not designed to all to fit the "mainstream".

This changes if a genre or even some artists on it start to become popular. Suddenly you find more and more artists that also want to make their living from making underground music, but they still have the problem from above. So what they do is learning (not saying "copying") from the successful gyus and you end up on a genre with 10k artists, all playing the same sounds.

Just a theory.. don't know if makes sense. But to me, if a genre becomes popular/mainstream, it almost always means that's time to move on, as more and more will try to make their music fit for the majority of the listeners, instead of doing what makes fun to them.

PS stupid comment but everytime I look at the forum topics for some reason I read "Musical Taste masturbation over time?" lol

Lol I have the exact same thing :D

Lol :D I didn't notice haha. Would edit it to that if I could lol.

Some good replies. Technosomy I agree with your idea of just liking what you like. It's the only way to be!

In regards to taste changing I think age plays into it somewhat perhaps along with getting to know the genre better. (Talking just psy here) I still can't quite put my finger on why I suddenly like stuff I hated only a couple years ago.

Come to think of it though, that stuff I "hated" I never gave a chance or listened to in the first place..

These days I prefer music listening as a shared experience, be it any kind.

Most of the time I feel I can't fully enjoy music, and especially really psychedelic music when in company (other than at a party). Deep listening sessions to really grasp the music I still prefer to conduct completely alone. It is in this moments that the music really takes me away, without someone's irritant babbling in between :P

I feel my taste has evolved as well, but is still very much centered of what I liked when I first heard psychedelic trance... Trippy, darker but also euphoric and downtempo stuff.

My tastes have broadened. Some of it is to do with age I think, but partly exposure to different genres too.

Some psytrance styles have taken me a while to "get". It took a lot of listening to appreciate some of the higher bpm Darkpsy (it sounded just too frantic to begin with, but I love it now!) and even longer to get into the Zenon style of prog. I liked the sounds, but found it really ploddy and boring until quite recently. ( I think seeing Sensient play at Cosmo Festival had a lot to do with finally appreciating the Zenon vibe.)

While I no longer listen to most of the music I liked between the ages of about 14 to 18, my music taste has only expanded in adulthood, rather than changed. What I mean is that I'm continually getting into new stuff (most recently I was surprised to find that there's a lot of contemporary worship music I enjoy) but I still like the large majority of the music I liked in my 20's.

Pretty much the same for me. I do still like a lot of the music I liked when I was 17-18 though. That's when I first heard psytrance and goa, and I was already listening to a lot of psychedelic rock at that time. I've always liked a wide variety of music, but I have been able to explore more and more of it over the years. The amount of good music out there is almost overwhelming. :D

Another member here had said it few years ago well: as the years pass i become more picky and picky with music.

In comparison with my adolescence, now i'm more "cheese sensitive" but on the other hand i find it difficult to listen anymore to more harsh complex stuff like forest (or harsh metal i used) etc. I still love most of the classics, of course.

Other than that, my music taste has expanded too.