• Nitrox
    • Chrome
    • Chrome (Western edition)
    • Sharp
    • Live In Athens 1996
    • I.F.O.
    • Family Of Light
    • Seven Sisters

I was listening to Seven Sisters yesterday and made me think which album by Etnica/Pleiadians you consider the worst. I think all their post 2000 stuff are lacking, but which one you think is the weakest?

I vote for Nitrox. I remember when I first bought and listened to it I almost cried. And not from happiness. The dance tracks are unbelievably lame, the only good one is Small Doses. The downtempo tracks are awesome though, so at least there's a redeeming factor.

I haven't listened to Chrome though.

Chrome Nitrox Sharp really make me question if its even the same people involved programming the music. Only good track on the 3 albums is Photonic. Is there a different in chrome western edition?!?

Chrome Nitrox Sharp really make me question if its even the same people involved programming the music. Only good track on the 3 albums is Photonic. Is there a different in chrome western edition?!?

Well two members left, so it's not really the same group.

I agree for the most part that Nitrox, Chrome and Sharp are significantly worse than their Goa albums, which are obviously masterpieces. There are a few TechTrancey tracks in these albums that I actually really like (as I adore minimal, early 2000s techtrance: Spirallianz, Snug as a Bug etc), but to hear them from "Etnica" makes it difficult to take them seriously when they're so much worse than their 90's output.

To be honest I just haven't listened to any of their post-2000 output yet... And maybe I never will, considering these rants :D

To be honest I just haven't listened to any of their post-2000 output yet... And maybe I never will, considering these rants :D

Seven Sisters is ok if you ignore that you're listening a Pleiadians album. It has some really lame tracks, but some good ones as well like I Believe and Atlas.

Voted Nitrox.

Sometimes i convince myself it cant possibly be as bad as i think and try and give it another listen.

That usually leads to me deleting the album from my collection again..

I don't own the cd and probably never will...It would be too shameful.

Well two members left, so it's not really the same group.

I agree for the most part that Nitrox, Chrome and Sharp are significantly worse than their Goa albums, which are obviously masterpieces. There are a few TechTrancey tracks in these albums that I actually really like (as I adore minimal, early 2000s techtrance: Spirallianz, Snug as a Bug etc), but to hear them from "Etnica" makes it difficult to take them seriously when they're so much worse than their 90's output.

Yes I'm aware. What I ment to say is that its hard to believe the albums are even affiliated with their other work.

I adore their 3 minimal albums more than any. But hey when my bro loans me his 808 & 909 I can sit for hours of drum beats with no other sounds added. Saw Jeff Mills do 909 solo in Japan years ago, 2 hours of nothing but 909 & it absolutely rocked!!

I voted for 7 sisters. It's like forcing scat on your fans. What a waste.

It was simply amazing. It put every live psy act to absolute shame. When he went back to playing synths etc. and 4 vinyls all mashed perfectly together with 606, 808 & 909 by one man it made me think how pathetic click & play Ableton sets in this scene are.

It's a whole different level for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I vote Sharp.

Although it is a well worked synthesis and it has some good moments, it lacks depth and psychedelia due to its full-on sound.

I was never disappointed by Etnica's tech turn, but i think they could have made it better in terms of quality.

I kinda like the downtempo tracks on Nitrox. Other tracks are shit.

And I think Family of Light is MUCH better than IFO.

I think if they included more psy-oriented tracks instead of the two first (..shadow of myself & technoshit), it would be a more valued album.

Chrome (western edition) is a blaster of tech-trance, but more for the followers of this kind due to its monotony. But still very psychedelic.

How are the downtempo tracks of Nitrox? Are they goa ambient or not? How many ambient tracks are on that album? If it has only two, it is not worth checking them out.

Vega, Ritual Plants & Triptonite. Also the Beast Man was for me the surprise track due to the experimentation with the guitar. Along with the keys and the ambience, it sounds like a dark-folk song.

Worth to check out Nitrox.

I vote for Nitrox. -- The downtempo tracks are awesome though, so at least there's a redeeming factor.

and the ambient part is simply great,

I kinda like the downtempo tracks on Nitrox.

I see a pattern here and I concur. Those tracks are neat. Beyond them, I can't even recall which of the 00s albums was which. Already going through shop samples is an experience I prefer forgetting.

However, I have two strange anecdotes from that period.

1: Once in the late 00s, I loaded over 500 samples from Juno's psy catalogue to a playlist. It was depressing. Craploads of copy-paste full-on without a single memorable feature, until I spotted one track with at least a bit of groove. It was a compilation track picked from Seven Sisters. Could have been Starbase 11. So even though the album is considered weak on the Pleiadians scale, it had its moments on the general full-on/tech scale.

2: Roughly the same thing on a festival. The schedule was somehow totally screwed up, artist being swapped between nights without proper announcements. Among uncountable hours of pointless full-on, I suddenly noticed that something passable was playing. After getting closer to the stage I found out it was actually Etnica playing their new stuff. Nothing particularly recognisable in the melody department, but it was groovy compared to the rest.

All tonal content left the building for good after (or during) Equator, but something remained. Unfortunately it hasn't been enough to make me buy any of those later releases for home listening.