Equalizer settings for goa or psytrance

Trance2MoveU

I think it really comes down to personal preferences and the setup that you have.

For goa, I tend to lower the Hi-Freqs, the hi-hat annoys me generally and I also add some mids if there's a nice melody. Old goa/psy needs some bass added a lot of the time as well.

For goa, I tend to lower the Hi-Freqs, the hi-hat annoys me generally and I also add some mids if there's a nice melody. Old goa/psy needs some bass added a lot of the time as well.

I used to EQ like that for years in the past, but now I don't. If a baseline isn't strong with old goatrance, it's meant to be that way.

EQ your Hi-FReqs I also don't do anymore, although with the latest "crossing mind" release, I have to, it's way to sharp, and I can't enjoy it properly that way...

It annoys me to much like you mentioned

I use Earphones. And all the companies have their own preset EQ, and they STRICTLY advise to turn off the EQ in the music player for earphones to last long. Recently I noticed that my laptop's Bang & Olufsen has the best EQ preset. Everything sounds perfect. U better contact them Mikey :D

only to correct the response of the room

As others have said, EQing is more for adjusting for the room

Sorry, but EQ can't fix a room's acoustic problems. If you're sitting in a spot where there's a frequency null and you adjust an EQ to make up for it, you can potentially move your head an inch in any direction and now the adjustment you made is over-enhancing that frequency. EQ was never meant to correct acoustic problems, and cannot. Only physical acoustic treatments can fix acoustic problems.

Equalizers were originally invented to make up for other electronic devices in the audio chain that had less-than-optimal frequency response (often amplifiers). Only later they began to be used to intentionally shape the frequency content of recorded audio, the main use of them today.

Sorry, but EQ can't fix a room's acoustic problems.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know for sure,

You have to hang up acoustic plates on your ceiling so the sounds bounces back faster,

or hang plates behind your boxes etc...

It's often quite an investment....

Sorry, but EQ can't fix a room's acoustic problems.

You are right, the acoustic response of a room will no change because an equalizer is place in the audio chain. Only acoustic treatment can fix that.

What an equalizer does, is compensating for different frequency modes that might be enhaced because of room properties. It is a very usual process in Live gigs and studio setups. (For music and for film).

Also as you said, a room acoustic can not be compensated so it will sound flat in every corner, but in an especific area (sweet spot).

You can find a better explanation under http://hyperphysics....udio/equal.html

What an equalizer does, is compensating for different frequency modes that might be enhaced because of room properties.

But like I said (I'll expand), any frequency null or peak (caused by a room mode) exists in a particular place in the room, not everywhere. They are caused by cancellation or enhancement according to the physical properties of the room, and thus exist at specific physical locations in the room. Any problems at one listening location may not exist at any other listening location, so if you 'fix' such a problem with an EQ, you're just messing up the frequency balance elsewhere.

But like I said (I'll expand), any frequency null or peak (caused by a room mode) exists in a particular place in the room, not everywhere. They are caused by cancellation or enhancement according to the physical properties of the room, and thus exist at specific physical locations in the room. Any problems at one listening location may not exist at any other listening location, so if you 'fix' such a problem with an EQ, you're just messing up the frequency balance elsewhere.

It seems that we both fully agree. It is a really complicated subject. Studios and concert halls are tuned to sound as flat as posible in a determined area. You just can´t have everything......

I've tried lot of coombinations with equalizer listening to E-Mantra Arcana, but I failed, it sounds like overcompressed, loud, sound mess. I have NAD 356 ampl. & Canton ergo 695 speakers, all other music sounds great on this equipment

I've tried lot of coombinations with equalizer listening to E-Mantra Arcana, but I failed, it sounds like overcompressed, loud, sound mess. I have NAD 356 ampl. & Canton ergo 695 speakers, all other music sounds great on this equipment

That's another example of the loudness war... the whole newschool goa scene is infected.. ^^

• 5 months later...

I listen to my music in pretty much exactly the same spot every time though, so the sound being wrong in a different part of the room doesn't really matter. My speakers are highly directional anyway and you wouldn't want to sit outside of the "sweet spot".

I get what you are saying, the only way to truly fix the acoustics in a room are to fix the acoustics in the room, but for my particular needs EQing does make a difference because I am always in the same listening position. I don't have audiences that come listen to music in my home office. :P

Unlike a lot of "audiophiles" I can enjoy music without having perfect sound too. I'd prefer it to sound as good as possible of course, but a good song is a good song on any system.

Interesting topic. IMO, you may try as much as you want, but you'll never get a perfect acoustic for goa in your home, or in headphones. There's this air movement that only huge sound systems can provide - the subsonics - that can't be heard/felt in small devices. And it's the most powerful 'sound' in electronic music. It makes the most boring track at home come alive with layers of energy when played out loud. Only if you have been in front of a wall of speakers you'll understand that.

@Komix: I think that "Arcana" is a completely different album if it's played in big sound systems. At home it does sound a little bit fluffy.

I think if you have a good enough system at home, and large treated room along with forgiving neighbours, hah, you can get pretty damn close... Not to something like a 40k rig obviously but you can feel the power still... Then again, probably no one has that accommodating neighbours lol.

As for EQ, if you aren't producing or a producer then freakin eq whatever you want so that it sounds good To Your Ears. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I understand wanting to hear the producers original vision and all but when listening for just pleasure, EQ away to your hearts content. Some things cant be fixed though obviously.

Absolutely, EQ should not be used, since you want to hear the music as the artists meant it to be played, so I do not use EQ. I use good headphones that have a good bass, but not too hard and do not EQ a bit.

Absolutely, EQ should not be used, since you want to hear the music as the artists meant it to be played

But that isn't possible, for reasons that have already been explained in this thread.