The State of Fullon 2011

Padmapani

so i've been to two festivals this year and have noticed that melodic, cheesy fullon a la gms and astrix as we know it has nearly disappeared from the mainfloors.

sometimes it is replaced by darkpsy as night music (which is increasingly happening in the last years anyway), but more importantly the formulaic/"always the same" crap we've been accustomed to in the last few years, has evolved!

i have so far noticed two new (or maybe just becoming popular) styles of fullon:

1. minimal-techno-influenced fullon

take fullon, take away some of the cheese, leave the typical fullon fx and sounds in, and add minimal-techno-like bleeps and bloops to it. this one also plays around with the kick and bass quite a bit, having more complex patterns, a slower feel and a lot of "stops" (in lack of a better word; kick and bass are like K-bbK-bbK-b-K---K....)

as i hate minimal techno, i find this stuff awful. those quirky bass patterns imho take the whole flow out of the music and make it impossible to trance out. i'd rather have another astrix clone than this!

2. night fullon

i'm sure it (or a vaguely similar sound; i know the name has been around for a long time) has been around for some time, but now is the first time that it really becomes popular.

basically the music i'm talking about has a typical fullon beat (but often with a less prominent bass), with almost no melody, lots of fx (but is totally different from darkpsy) and is pretty atmospheric (a new thing to fullon afaik ;) ), less "put your hands up in the air breaks", and a lot more acid than we are used to from recent psytrance. it kinda reminds me of old x-dream, koxbox, hux flux or logic bomb at times.

this second style i like a lot. it does away with all the fullon cheese and adds atmosphere and storytelling to the music, is danceable and actually put back the "psy" in psytrance. and even better: it has acid! ;)

if it only there were melodies :(

so what are your observations and thoughts on the state of fullon?

2. night fullon

i'm sure it (or a vaguely similar sound; i know the name has been around for a long time) has been around for some time, but now is the first time that it really becomes popular.

basically the music i'm talking about has a typical fullon beat (but often with a less prominent bass), with almost no melody, lots of fx (but is totally different from darkpsy) and is pretty atmospheric (a new thing to fullon afaik ;) ), less "put your hands up in the air breaks", and a lot more acid than we are used to from recent psytrance. it kinda reminds me of old x-dream, koxbox, hux flux or logic bomb at times.

this second style i like a lot. it does away with all the fullon cheese and adds atmosphere and storytelling to the music, is danceable and actually put back the "psy" in psytrance. and even better: it has acid! ;)

if it only there were melodies :(

Do you happen to know any songs/artists in this style?

I wonder if any of those nightpsy acts really refrain from using "hands-in-the-air" climaxes...I used to like that in the past, but not anymore. I figured that that kind of nightpsy was especially popular in Japan, at least at the time I stayed there.

Acts like Khopat, Toxic, Alienn, B-55, Azax Syndrom, Phatmatix...you know the drill...

But to me, the real kings of the night, maybe like Padmapani described them, are artists like E.V.P, RealityGrid and Archaic. Archaic has released another stunning album a short time ago, called "Sonic Driving". No cheese, no massive buildups, no hands-in-the-air-climaxes, just proper stomping psy. Downside: a lot of the tracks sound the same if you don't take your time listening to them...I'd call it the typical Wildthings sound. I love it though :)

Archaic - Free-Quency Modulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-KUo3Dkpo

E.V.P - Hard Boiled Geometry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYNSEq4aLCk&feature=related

Just check them out on youtube: Archaic (not the metal band, obviously), E.V.P, RealityGrid (basically they are both Alex Diplock since Avalon left RealityGrid (and Wildthings Records) for Nano Records), Neutral Motion, Error Corrective, Ajja, Parasense, maybe even some Dragon (e.g. Dark Matter). I don't know if all of those are really what you've been thinking of, Padmapani (or Veracohr), but maybe it's something you'd like.

Just check them out on youtube: Archaic (not the metal band, obviously), E.V.P, RealityGrid (basically they are both Alex Diplock since Avalon left RealityGrid (and Wildthings Records) for Nano Records), Neutral Motion, Error Corrective, Ajja, Parasense, maybe even some Dragon (e.g. Dark Matter). I don't know if all of those are really what you've been thinking of, Padmapani (or Veracohr), but maybe it's something you'd like.

;)

A lot of stuff from Looney Moon & Wild Things records are great, but i always prefered more melodic/morning stuff. Is there any label ATM who is publishing stuff like early Protoculture or Silicon Sound? Feel free to drop some recommendations :)

A lot of stuff from Looney Moon & Wild Things records are great, but i always prefered more melodic/morning stuff. Is there any label ATM who is publishing stuff like early Protoculture or Silicon Sound? Feel free to drop some recommendations :)

I think the best full on these days is the British and the South African sound. It's driving, melodic, and full of atmosphere. Sans cheese.

Here are some links to reviews of good full-on:

Arecibo Chronicles Vol. 1

Fractal Energy 4

Tryambaka - Replenishing Roots

Kut-N-Paste - Relapse

Wizack Twizack - IV

Rubix Qube - Saturate EP

Midnight Storm Vol. 4 - Acid Rain

Ianauria- The Orange EP

Tales of Heads

Digital Talk - Audio Extremists

Just a few...

Mdk

Thanks! Tales Of Heads is great, I already got it, it's not really morning sound, but fine UK fullon. Actually I'm not looking for SA/Night fullon stuff, more something like this:

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvUnA-u5dsE

Man Machine - Subatomic

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HRDcgsp80U

Burn In Noise - Timewarp

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zI0WpN_K7Q

PsiloCybian - Back From A Magic Party

Aphid Moon - Psyfer

Protoculture - Avalon (Protoculture Remix)

Thanks! Tales Of Heads is great, I already got it, it's not really morning sound, but fine UK fullon. Actually I'm not looking for SA/Night fullon stuff, more something like this:

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvUnA-u5dsE

Man Machine - Subatomic

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HRDcgsp80U

Burn In Noise - Timewarp

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zI0WpN_K7Q

PsiloCybian - Back From A Magic Party

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY98i9jeS0U

Aphid Moon - Psyfer

(h)ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwDhyAcd0n4

Protoculture - Avalon (Protoculture Remix)

Thread hijacking detected ;)

I can imagine you could like Tristan, e.g.

http-~~-//http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ed-79-oG70&feature=related

or Avalon, but you'll probably already know him, as you seem to be familiar with the UK stuff.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh5xRgNUUoc&feature=related

Avalon can be somewhat darker, though, especially his collaborations with e.g. Parasense. A good, no cheese, melodic morning sound would be Atma, I guess. Saw him live and it was a really good vibe! Check him out on youtube.

Interesting topic...

Night fullon is the only fullon that I pay any attention too.

Burn in noise like mentioned above.

Panick (2006 release)

Headroom

Phatmatix (both releases)

Hoodwink (both releases)

Altom (2002 release)

Psysex (2000 release)

Sensient (sometimes)

Etmica.

Suria

Penta (sometimes like Sensient)

Z-Machine

More melodic try Silicon Sound, Rastaliens (2003 release), Orion (2003 release), Twisted system, Wrecked Machines, The misted muppet...

There aren't many, South African fullon is often night fullon.

And indeed it seems fullon has reached it's nadir.

Especially the melodic part of it.

To many crap has floated among the years.

But I still believe artist with talent won't stop releasing.

I think the amount of quality releases won't decrease that much imo...

Just the amount of crap....

Never heard of Neutral Motion or Archaic, good! Posted Image

A good, no cheese, melodic morning sound would be Atma, I guess. Saw him live and it was a really good vibe! Check him out on youtube.

Gonna check Atma, thanks. All Nano/Neurobiotic stuff is very familiar :)

:)

Yeah i've been hearing this night time full-on you seem to be talking about, the djs call it "slick", because it's rapid with very high production quality and little to no melody, and yes the acid makes itself known every couple of tracks, really good to dance to. I still find it quite predictable and not particularly psychedelic, just your average cliche bubble/fart sounds laced on top of a powerful and pleasing bassline. Not for home listening personally, but quality on the right night.

V/A Temple Of One represents the style i've been hearing a lot on the trance floor.

I could recommend dozens of Twilight Psy especially South African style, but I don't consider it Full On.

I don't like minimalistic night full on tbh. Too boring for my taste.

I could recommend dozens of Twilight Psy especially South African style, but I don't consider it Full On.

I don't like minimalistic night full on tbh. Too boring for my taste.

I hear you. To me, South African Style psytrance nowadays seems to come closest to the the "true" psytrance style (in it's modern reincarnation, because to some, the SA psytrance might not seem very psychedelic at all). I don't really like the minimal stuff either, it is indeed too boring, while the SA stuff retains the very high energy and a good portion of crazy acid lines. A good example of this is tokoloshe tales, which I enjoy soooo much. Seems to be right in the middle between dark and full-on, just perfect in many ways. (Although I still enjoy goa the most....)

V/A Temple Of One represents the style i've been hearing a lot on the trance floor.

compiled by Imaginatery Sight .

That's also a kind of trend night fullon but in a melodic direction.

And can be imo often psychedelic in it's own way.

kind of Rastaliens in 2003.

I could recommend dozens of Twilight Psy especially South

African style, but I don't consider it Full On.

fullon or not, shoot Posted Image

@ Ormion : this is indeed a good track. Variated!

So I'm wondering. This is not fullon for you?

I prefer to call that Twilight. There's no cheese in it, it's more complicated than the normal full on and most importantly the bass is not the main element in the track.

But it's pretty full on-ish I agree with that.

There's no cheese in it, it's more complicated than the normal full on and most importantly the bass is not the main element in the track.

+10,

I could not describe it better, and this is mostly what I'm looking for when It comes to fullon, besides night fullon.

I did not know more artist were producing like this. That's good news!

If you have more, please post Posted Image

But it's pretty full on-ish I agree with that.

True, but full on-ish in an imho mature, more psychedelic, stable way...

And,

For those who are interested,

I opened this topic on isratrance some weeks ago,

maybe there is something interesting... I still have to check myself...

http://forum.isratra...om/fullon-2011/

Some more artists that create non cheesy highly melodic twilight or full on-ish sounds

Deliriant

Slug

Brethren

Tickets

Tryambaka

Sick Addiction

EMP

Sattel Battle

Dark Nebula (although his last album was too cheesy)

there's also that EP in my signature :P