Shpongle, where to go from here?

KozmikTentacles

I just ordered the first Shpongle CD. Some people think they are overrated, while some worship them. I'm sort of inbetween. I do enjoy them, but there's other ambient/downtempo groups out there that is equally good.

So which Shpongle album should I check out next? Since I like their first album.

Here is my list of Shpongle releases by my personal favorites:

#1 - Tales Of The Inexpressible (2001)

My favorite Shpongle record up to date, true masterpiece. Eight tracks and still can't name my favorite one here.

#2 - Nothing Lasts, But Nothing Is Lost (2005)

20 tracks, all mixed into a great story. Probably Shpongle's record with the most influences from world-music, ethno, samba, and whatnot here. ''Levitation Nation'' & ''When Shall I Be Free?'' my fav tunes on this one.

#3 - Are You Shpongled? (1998)

The most relaxing Shpongle album, pure downtempo & ambient journey.

#4 - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland (2009)

Nice album, sounds very similar to #2 but with bigger presence of live instruments.

#5 - The Remixes/Remixed (2003)

Few cool remixes from well known psychedelic artists here.

I suggest to avoid The God Particle and Unreleased Remixes, I don't find it good as their studio albums and some older EP's.

Everyone responds differently because each album has their strengths and weaknesses, each have their own vision and direction. It really depends on what you want out of Posford and Raja.

For myself, I like the first album is probably the best, the second comes close. The other two are not bad. The God Particle ep is alright and the remix albums are okay.

I like them all to varying degrees really. But I wouldn't call myself a die-hard fanboi.

Quite limited, eh? I doubt I'll ever get hold of it if only 1050 copies has been made.

Well it seems still to be available at the twisted shop... :) but maybe not for much longer?!

http://www.twistedmu...article-cd.html

For me The God Particle is what comes closes to the old shpongle sound since the release of Are You Shpongled, and some references to the old masters (Pink Floyd) ;)

To be honest I only really like the first one, the second one is pretty good too though. The rest get too deep into world music for my taste instead of psychedelic.

If you want more like the first I'd listen to The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences, Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment, and all Androcell albums.

Dang, I thought Tales... was awful (except for Dorset Perception, which I've listened to a million times). It's like a keyboard wizard trying to make world music. I liked a couple of tracks from the first album, or at least a few bits from a couple of tracks, mainly the step-sequenced voices.

Dang, I thought Tales... was awful (except for Dorset Perception, which I've listened to a million times). It's like a keyboard wizard trying to make world music. I liked a couple of tracks from the first album, or at least a few bits from a couple of tracks, mainly the step-sequenced voices.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

One vote for going in chronological order since you started with the first album.

True...

I still like the first one most and the second because those were the ones that I heard first, simple as that.

Combined with the fact that sphongle pioneered a bit, they had the benefit that I (and many people) payed a lot of attention to those albums...

The remix album never did it for me...

And the mystery of the 13 crystal skulls tracks is imo one the best psychedelic trance tracks made...