InfectedMushroomVids

Penzoline

For me IM was the first psy I 'discovered'. I listened quite a lot to them 3 years ago and I sometimes still do, but I somehow lost interest in their sound, even the old one. They have some tracks I still really really like ( psycho, never ever land), but that being said it stops for me. For me, there is way better psytrance/goa out there.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to know since when IM fans are listening to goa/psytrance. my impression is that most of them were actually introduced to goa/psytrance by IM and then also listened to older stuff. am i wrong?

I can only speak for myself. Classical Mushrooms was one of the first albums I bought, that's true. I was going to parties, starting to really like the music and some songs really hit me. One was Dracul the others were from the Waves Of Sound album from Yahel. So I bought those album after somebody was able to tell me what songs I heard. Soon afterwards I registered here, started to post and started to buy vinyls and cds because of the reviews found here. The rest is history. :wub:

I agree about Ormion's view of IM's uniqueness. It is still there for me in their newer stuff. But in the end, if you don't like them, pointing out stuff like that won't change it. Taste is taste.

the mix of elements from others styles into trance (classical music, or the used of real piano sounds.....)

Their skills with synths and effects, at least Erez skills, and all the new sounds they came with at the time.

The power of their tracks in the dance floor.

In that they were unique at the time.

Maybe they sounded like cartoon music, but they gave a twist to the genre at the time. They were one of the first

to come up with what we know now as FullOn, and although fullon has became boring a repetitive, it is not their fault, but all the one´s that came copying after them. Obviously they went too cheesy at some point..... Like many others.......

For me it is a pity the direction they took, like it is a pity the direction some others artist are taking in the trance and others music scenes........ but just that.... a pity.....

Yeah about the uniqueness, I never was a big fan of IM, mostly because of the cheesy moments you could find in the albums, but even I can admit that their sound sticks out like a sore thumb and you instantly know when it's infected mushrooms music. There is still that layer of goodness beneath that commercial crap like you can see in the 2nd vid @ 7:30. And Infected Mushroom never departed from the 'scene'. They are still psytrance at the very core of it all.

Unique is not to be able to recognize an artists sound. There are many artists who you recognize instantly. I still have not seen one good explanation why IM are considered to be unique. To me they did nothing new at all. They reused the same melody lines heard in countless tunes from Israeli and UK artists and used the same lead sounds etc. Nothing new or unique really. Unless you got introduced to psytrance via IM (then you would probably think Fullon was über psychedelic) - then it's obvious a person would think this is revolutionary - but it's not to me at all. Far from!

Well, unique does not have to be revolutionary or new by definition. Just special, as in one-of-a-kind. Obviously they use psy/goa sounds, like (nearly) all artists do who are making that kind of music. If you don't like their style, there's nothing wrong with that. But asking for a logical explanation why you have to like it just doesn't work when talking about taste imho. People perceive music differently and look for different things in music.

Yeah e.g for me MFG, Prana , AmaniteFX, Astral Projection , Pleiadians, Psychaos etc all are unique

Then we can conclude that IM in reality is no more unique than any other artist with an recognizable sound. And by that the claim that they were pioneers etc. fall to the ground :)

Then we can conclude that IM in reality is no more unique than any other artist with an recognizable sound. And by that the claim that they were pioneers etc. fall to the ground :)

Well for me some of the names I mentioned above are considered pioneers in a way - some less, some more-

To me they were pioneers because of their combination of real instruments with their electronical style. I have not heard any album that does the combination on an equal level. Obviously combining those two elements is nothing new but to me it fits perfectly together.

In the end this is also a matter of perceiving music. If I see something special in an album no logical argument can change that. Other artists have also an recognisable sound, that alone does not give me the same effect as the Classical Mushroom album for example. I fail to see why it seems to be so important to come to a general conclusion about IM or any other artist or why I should change the words that describe how I feel about some music.

I fail to see why it seems to be so important to come to a general conclusion about IM or any other artist or why I should change the words that describe how I feel about some music.

Because I strongly believe it's distorting the History of this scene claiming they invented the "Wheel" as some seem to preach every time the talk is about IM (Not saying you preach). I find it to be false "marketing" when example newcomers are told IM created "this and that" when fact is they continued in the footsteps of true pioneers showing the way before them. I also find it sad that IM run away with most of the credit (among those who have no clue what came before) instead of giving the true pioneers the credit as they deserve.

The "problem" is (as I see it) that 99% of those who claim IM invented the "wheel" were introduced to the psytrance scene via IM (or other Fullon which I do not really care to call psy) and by that lack a fundamental insight into what came before IM and what they copied from. It's here the misunderstand has to be found when the talk is about who invented what. Yes taste is taste but fact is also fact. And fact is that IM copied a lot of artists and did not invent the "wheel". No matter what their die-hard fans say.

Then please enlighten me from what specific songs Classical Mushroom was copied. I am looking for stuff that sounds exactly like that for ages. There were albums that were inspired by IM and came out after CM but before I could not name anything.

From my point of view nobody in this thread claimed they invented the wheel as you call it. I also feel that the IM praysing is long gone anyway considering they make very different music now. Their combinations of sounds and effects were called unique, but to me that is hardly the same thing.

as i see it, IM took the style of AP, MFG, Indoor, also Nervasystem, Slide and others, and then simply added some sort of pop music approach. and voila, there you have the unique IM sound. btw, i'm not saying it's impossible to enjoy their music. earlier today i listened to Dracul (on Classical Mushroom) because of this discussion here. and right after that i listened to Muse Breaks Rmx, and then Fast - Transmission, Binary Finary - 1998, RMB - Spring (Vocal Mix)...

it was not a coincidence that i picked those tracks after listening to IM :D

Binary Finary? You make it sound like that is a bad thing. :P:lol:

no, in fact it can be fun. fun, and that's it. it's not great music for me in a serious way.

as i see it, IM took the style of AP, MFG, Indoor, also Nervasystem, Slide and others, and then simply added some sort of pop music approach. and voila, there you have the unique IM sound.

Well that's not true for their debut album The Gathering (which is the only I enjoy enough. However I will give Classical Mushroom and Converting Vegetarians a few more tries)

Then please enlighten me from what specific songs Classical Mushroom was copied.

+1 for this.

Anyways, I don't see any connection between fullon stuff and first two albums from IM. Alright 3rd album is more fullonish than previous stuff but, in my case, first two albums are really unique and special in psychedelic trance music. Many of old school artists has been influenced by other musicians before, but I don't see any connection between IM sound presented in first two albums with early goa trance music/artists. That stuff sounded unique at that time and for me it still stands as unique, even now, IM sounds different and fresh, besides their pop/mtv/metal/live-band adventure.

I guess some of us have a very different view on what's unique and psychedelic. But then again those I disagree with are also those I do not share taste in music with so it all makes sense :)

You got that right! I don't even know what you like because I've never heard you speek good about any artist really...

I know it's kinda off-topic but after all this talk about Classical Mushroom I just found out that IM will play an old-school set in Switzerland in September. Unfortunately it takes place the weekend right before my final exams start. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: (I still think about going tho...)

Not a week before the party, the weekend right before the first exam. Means party on Sathurday, first test on Monday morning. :ph34r: