Your top 2009 album recommendations

Jon Cocco

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psychill is really, really, really dead, is it not? Haven't heard a single interesting albumrelease from 2009. And I get the feeling it's not just me...

Yeah, no downtempo album I've heard this year has really stood out for me. Except for the Machinarium soundtrack.

Apart from the usual suspects, who've been named several times already, I'd like to name one of my favorite producers, Mr. Alex Diplock, aka E.V.P, aka RealityGrid.

RealityGrid's "Another Reality" definetely is in my personal Top 5 of 2009. Wildthings Records just deliver all the time!

Apart from the usual suspects, who've been named several times already, I'd like to name one of my favorite producers, Mr. Alex Diplock, aka E.V.P, aka RealityGrid.

RealityGrid's "Another Reality" definetely is in my personal Top 5 of 2009. Wildthings Records just deliver all the time!

I agree. Realitygrid's is a good one. Now, if only Error Corrective could release a new one too.

Uptempo:

1. Filteria - Daze Of Our Lives

2. Infected Mushroom - Legend Of The Black Shawarma

Downtempo, Neo CLassical, Electrouacoustic, Chill:

1. Solar Fields - Movements

2. VA - Imaginary Friends

3. VA - Hope

4. Bluetech - The Divine Invasion

5. Field Rotation - Licht und Schatten

6. Yagya - Rigning

7. Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

8. Rena Jones - Indra's Web

9. Proton Kinoun - Aperion

I've felt like that for a couple of years now :(

.......? Most of them I've heard this year aren't very good (like all the Cosmicleaf & CarDaMaR stuff is frankly boring shit), but there are still some good ones coming out:

All Ultimae stuff (obviously!)

Koan - When The Silence Is Speaking ... if you liked Zymosis, check this one out, it's realllly good and similar

Chronos & C.J.Catalizer - Quid Est Veritas

Smiley Pixie - Chill Out Moods To Urban Grooves

Mac Mavis - Report From The Lake ... not as good as Gatefinder unfortunately

Yggdrasil - Prose Edda ... more uptempo and dubby stuff

Best free-releases this year:

Sentna - Tech Nald

This is really nice psychedelic techno... thanks for the recommendation!!!

Hedonix - Order Out Of Chaos topped this year imo...

a good combination with funky, psychedelic spirals, driven by a progressive/fullon minded baseline...

psyshop link...

One of the best for me this year as well... and Hedonix was totally new to me, so the best surprise this year for sure :D

E-Mantra and Radical Distortion has good form as well, even though some elements bother me a bit :P

My favorite compilation of 09 must be People Walk Funny... Keeps getting better and better ^_^

I don't think that there has been many good downtempo releases this year, but the ones that were good was really good :D So I see no reason what so ever to complain!

Solar Fields - Movements

Yagya - Rigning

P. Laoss - Landscapes & Machines

Cell - Hanging Masses

HUVA Network - Ephemeris

Søvnigt Sind - Tell A Vision

Hallucinogen - In Dub Live

and more... need more time:o

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who is this Yggdrasil

i'm shocked, It look like shpongle! It sound like shpongle, have the depht like shpongle. I never tought that this could be possible. I mean, it really sounds like a little less but yet crazy posford. I just dont believe it! My friends dont believe it, we are all shocked about this release, it is amazing!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who is this Yggdrasil

i'm shocked, It look like shpongle! It sound like shpongle, have the depht like shpongle. I never tought that this could be possible. I mean, it really sounds like a little less but yet crazy posford. I just dont believe it! My friends dont believe it, we are all shocked about this release, it is amazing!

Seems I've missed this album too. I usually don't miss stuff :P ARGH!

The samples was very good so I'm gonna listen to the whole thing now for the first time.

who is this Yggdrasil

There are some very nice moments, to be sure, but it's just so unfocused and unconceptualized compared to Shpongle. Nonetheless, I will jam to it and give thanks to the gods for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people have been mentioning it here, but I haven't discovered it until now!

Better than me ; I actually downloaded this one on January 18th 2009 and I just took my first listen when I saw you mention it (and also after seeing the guy mentioned in Mushroom Mag, DOH! Great album!

Better than me ; I actually downloaded this one on January 18th 2009 and I just took my first listen when I saw you mention it (and also after seeing the guy mentioned in Mushroom Mag, DOH! Great album!

Indeed, this is easily on my TOP 5 for 2009, no question about it!

If you would like to vote for your favourite free releases of 2009 (and, optionally, send in a bit of feedback about the Ektoplazm web site) check out this link:

http://tinyurl.com/ydjmxjw

I'd just like to say, Ektoplazm's a damn good site - it's not lost on me the quality of the digital packaging, the clarity with which it's all been organized, and the quality of the music itself. Excellent work, I really appreciate it. (:

As for my 2009 album recommendations... I haven't listened to much from this year, but stuff I did like was Radical Distortion's Psychedelic Dreams and Shpongle's new release.

Ambientium - Fractal Philosophy

I know people have been mentioning it here, but I haven't discovered it until now!

Truth to be told, it looked interesting, but downtempo releases come to me most often as quite boring and just bad, so I didn't give it a chance. Now after your post I actually did go ahead and download it and...

This is so freaking good. :ph34r:

Reminds me of the days I listened to Yimino a lot..

Truth to be told, it looked interesting, but downtempo releases come to me most often as quite boring and just bad, so I didn't give it a chance. Now after your post I actually did go ahead and download it and...

This is so freaking good. :ph34r:

Reminds me of the days I listened to Yimino a lot..

Nice to hear! Exactly what I experienced, I didn't listen since it was a free release!!