The best trance ever was made before 2000...

Lemmiwinks

This is a crying shame for you! Even though you love oldschool you have never heard it in it's proper context. Have you ever even been to a party with 100% oldschool tunes? Those were fantastic days, I really think the parties were better pre 2000 for me as the DJs played what I wanted to hear. Nowadays there are some fantastic albums being produced but the DJs mainly play identi-kit crap that works only for the dancefloor. Even at a party I want something for the head.

Although you profess to love the oldschool sound I doubt you will ever truly be able to understand it as you missed the sentimental years. For most people music is not a mechanical breakdown of its elements but the feel the music and hormones were rampant when we were young and can play a big part in how we feel about music, they help us open the door and see that what lies beyond is often greater than the sum of its parts.

I was in high school during the "golden years" and unfortunately (though I was trippin my balls off on a consistent basis) I wasn't exposed to goa. I think I'm gonna look through my high school yearbook and see if I can spot the goa-heads :)

I'm sad too. :(

But I still love the music for what it is, regardless of hippy parties.

Right there with ya bro. You should watch The Wonderland Experience if you haven't.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a crying shame for you! Even though you love oldschool you have never heard it in it's proper context. Have you ever even been to a party with 100% oldschool tunes? Those were fantastic days, I really think the parties were better pre 2000 for me as the DJs played what I wanted to hear. Nowadays there are some fantastic albums being produced but the DJs mainly play identi-kit crap that works only for the dancefloor. Even at a party I want something for the head.

Although you profess to love the oldschool sound I doubt you will ever truly be able to understand it as you missed the sentimental years. For most people music is not a mechanical breakdown of its elements but the feel the music and hormones were rampant when we were young and can play a big part in how we feel about music, they help us open the door and see that what lies beyond is often greater than the sum of its parts.

ha well that's a bit different since, depending on what place you're living in, goa parties where VERY difficult to find, if not outright inexistant in those parts. Back then you had to know a friend of a friend of a friend just to know that such an event was taking place. Thank god for internet, it makes things a lot easyier...

Oh man this thread is becoming such a drama queen competitiom. And I am a part of it too! :posford:

Anyways, if you weren't there, spare those who were the wise ass holier than thou shiva mantra shanti crap.

It's like I so f***ing hate when people at parties talk to me about the golden years when [DC]'s "Thunder" killed it on the dance floors, or like: "remember way back when the crowd screamed along to Green Velvet's Flash?" I'm like yeah, I do remember, but it happens to be too bad you were sucking on your left thumb dreaming Action Man figures when we were there having the time of our lives...

Anyways, my favorite trance was recorded before Y2K. That is a fact. If it is better than the modern stuff, I could care less about. It's merely a hypothesis. One of the many. Could give a split shit about when the 'great' years were. The great years for me are now. I have as much fun with music now as I had back then.

Can I get a pink chakra shoved down my throat now?

Oh man this thread is becoming such a drama queen competitiom. And I am a part of it too! :posford:

Anyways, if you weren't there, spare those who were the wise ass holier than thou shiva mantra shanti crap.

It's like I so f***ing hate when people at parties talk to me about the golden years when [DC]'s "Thunder" killed it on the dance floors, or like: "remember way back when the crowd screamed along to Green Velvet's Flash?" I'm like yeah, I do remember, but it happens to be too bad you were sucking on your left thumb dreaming Action Man figures when we were there having the time of our lives...

Anyways, my favorite trance was recorded before Y2K. That is a fact. If it is better than the modern stuff, I could care less about. It's merely a hypothesis. One of the many. Could give a split shit about when the 'great' years were. The great years for me are now. I have as much fun with music now as I had back then.

Parties used to be spiritual experiences, now they are not. You are kidding yourself if you think you can have the same depth of enjoyment of the music now as you could back in the oldschool underground golden years.

;)

I like you. :)

a/s/l? wanna cyber?

Parties used to be spiritual experiences, now they are not. You are kidding yourself if you think you can have the same depth of enjoyment of the music now as you could back in the oldschool underground golden years.

;)

Good point, hard to argue!

BUT, where you lose credibility is:

#1) by your own admission, you were not there (it is not something I or anybody else hold against you, it is a fact, we can't all be everywhere at any given time).

#2) I can speak for my myself, and have no illusions, but you do understand we don't even live on the same continet? I live in Zagreb, you don't. You could have been right, but unfortunately you weren't here with me/us. What I am trying to say, even if you were right, I would need some substantial evidence you just can't provide. Don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do with me trying to prove you're a troll or anything, quite on the contrary, you may be even right: the spark, the rush and the crazy excitement may be gone, but you just wouldn't and couldn't know that. We had great times then, and still do now. But this has nothing to do with trance any longer, you do realize that? Goa trance is like my third genre, or something. One thing where you gain points: the old school goa trance parties of the past, chances are slim you will ever get to live through something like that again.

You didn't go to parties then. Do you go to them now?

hmmm... I highly doubt that Croatia had a vibrant goa scene in the mid 90s...

hmmm... I highly doubt that Croatia had a vibrant goa scene in the mid 90s...

Hush hush now. Let those who know and who were there speak. Your high doubts don't change our reality, if you follow.

Therefore you are not - :lol:

:lol:

It's all good music. I don't know how one can complain when the psychedelic music scene has evolved SO much... the downtempo scene, if nothing else, is THRIVING... Androcell/Distant System, Solar Fields, Ott/Hallucinogen in Dub, Asura...

I think psy lovers should be counting their blessings these days, and I'm not even mentioning the uptempo smashers like RA's 9th or Filteria (my favorite is Back to Earth on the Opus Uptempo)...

I can understand your being nostalgic, but "Nothing is fucked, here!" (Big Lebowski)...

• 1 year later...

PLEASE...THE TOPIC IS AN OPINION. THE REAL TOPIC SHOULD BE A QUESTION. WHY DOES PSYTRANCE HAVE A BEFORE AND AFTER? AND, WHAT HAPPENED THAT CAUSED Y2K TO BECOME THE YEAR OF THIS TRANSFORMATION. PLEASE READ MY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AND THE CONCLUSION THAT I BELIEVE CAUSED THE DEATH OF PSYTRANCE. IF PSYTRANCE WERE NOT ASSASINATED, IT WOULD HAVE EVOLVED THE LAST TEN YEARS, AND THE CLASSIC TRACKS WOULD BE VIEWED THE SAME AS CLASSIC HOUSE TRACKS. THEY WOULD BE VERY RECOGNIZED AND NOSTALGIC AND DJ'S WOULD SOMETIMES PULL ONE OUT TO REMIND THE OLDER OF THEIR BEAUTY AND WOW THE NEWCOMER. HOWEVER, EXTINCTION, NOT EVOLUTION HAS CAUSED PSYTRANCE TO BE LIKE JURASSIC PARK. THANK YOU FOR READING THE FOLLOWING ESSAY. PLEASE COMMENT.

GOA GIL -- PSY-ASSASIN

I am a former Psytrance DJ. I mixed at venues in San Francisco and L.A from 1995-98. At that time, I had to bail because I could see the death of psytrance coming and I did not want to be around.

I have first-hand experience with the Psytrance scene. From my observations, I have concluded that Psytrance's short-life was caused by all of us. I contributed because I did not do enough to educate the EDM audience. I did not do enough to ensure it was properly merged with the Rave scene. I was too passive. I thought that Ravers would feel as I did and want psytrance to be honored and performed as the huge rave music at the time...as a complement to trance and break's and high energy house and coexist as it should. For example, a rave has three rooms: Main, ambient, DnB. But when psytrance came around it did not go into the main room. It did not go in at all and when it did, it was a separate room. EXCEPT WHEN I DJ'D IN L.A. IT WAS BEAUTIFULLY INTERLACED WITH THE MAIN ROOM. BUT THAT DIDN'T LAST.

Back in S.F., The distribution of Psytrance was controlled by a small group of elitist hippies that did not and did not care to educate themselves on the Rave scene. They viewed themselves as better than everyone else because they put this spooky, cult-like value on getting prereleased DAT's and they were somehow the chosen ambassadors of Goa and psytrance. That they were the chosen ones.

I am serious it was weird. They wanted to make psytrance a mystery and its truth a secret to anyone else. Remember, there were no U.S. psytrance artists. Not of any significane like House, Breaks, Trance and such was very much coming from S.F. Chicago, New York and Miami and internationally. So, it was easily accessible by anyone.

San Francisco is a major port of entry for international music distribution. So, manipulating the flow of psytrance was not that difficult. Of course almost everyone was fascinated by psytance at firs. But, it's massive regulation and inaccessability made people lose interest and only a few, like me put considerable time and energy obtaining this music. F-8 was a tiny record store owned by Mars and Myster-e. They were the only ones that could get psytrance because it was coming from the same place that cyber-trance came and they were cyber-trance pioneers. They also, realized that selling psytrance and cyber-trance made more money than just cyber-trance.

Now, DJ Dutch was also enamoured by Psytrance. So much he became a Psytrance DJ. Many other novice DJ's sprouted up. However, they were not seasoned and experienced with the rave scene and made it impossible for me, Ivo, and Dutch to overcome the influence of the Goa Gilians (I just made that up). So, these people really controlled how Psytrance would be displayed. They became the architects of the fall of psytrance.

They displayed psytrance as Goa were San Francisco. It's like they wanted to create this replica of the Goa party. They had parties with the "hippie-hindi" design. You know, tapestries of Shiva and Shriyantras that were painted for black lights. They had incence. They wore hippie-meets-ghandi clothes. And, the worst part: They would use DATs, and sometimes vinyl. Not the other way, Or, as intended, and as I agreed DAT's should not be played by DJ's. If these Goa Gilians would just play DATs like a juke box, it would not have been so bad. And, you would understand that it would be better automated like a CD changer and you could party or whatever.

However, if you wanted a Rave experience with Psytrance music and DJ's, you would be assaulted by these sonic-terrorists. Instead of playing DATs back-to-back, they would attempt to mix them like a DJ. Do you know that you can't contol the pitch of a portable DAT player? You can't. Do you think that all psytrance is the same BPM? It's not. What do you think happens when mixing two tracks togther that don't have the same BPM--not including the proper dropping in point and all that?

We professionals call this, quite fittingly, A TRAINWRECK! I am not saying that DJ's don't trainwreck. But, it is unintentional and immediately corrected.

The difference between a DJ and Goa Gil: A DJ understands that trainwrecking is not only bad, but something they practise hours to avoid.

NO EXCUSES. SAN FRANCISCO IS NOT SWELTERING WHERE YOUR RECORDS WOULD MELT. SO YOU NEED TO USE DATS. BUT, DOES THAT MEAN THAT GOA AUDIENCES BELIEVE THAT TRAINWRECKING SOUNDS GOOD OR ACCEPTIBLE? IT MUST, BECAUSE GOA GIL TRAINWRECKED HERE LIKE HE WAS GOD PETTING A PUPPIE. AND HIS MINIONS BELIEVED IT.

LOOK UP VANDALISM IN THE DICTIONARY. THAT IS WHAT I WITNESSED. A COMPLETE DEFAMATION OF MUSIC, HUMAN INTELLIGENCE, AND THE UTTER RETARDATION OF HUMAN ADVANCEMENT.

I continued to do small gigs with Ivo and we followed the DJ code of mixing. That synchronicity elemental to mixing. And, we knew this to be as natural as the individual tracks of an EDM song were mixed in-sync.

THAT IS WHAT KILLED PSYTRANCE. THAT IS MY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AND CONCLUSION. IF I HAVE ERRED IN MY ACCOUNT OR CONCLUSION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I LISTEN TO ANYONE AND I CHANGE MY MIND WHEN I REALIZE MY ARGUMENT WAS FLAWED. I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO BE APPREHENSIVE TO DISCUSS THINGS WITH ME OR EXCHANGE IDEAS BY BEING INTOLERENT. I HAVE LEARNED MORE FROM DISCUSSING AND DEBATING, THAN FROM ANY BOOK.

YOU ARE JUST AS GOOD AND NOT LESS THAN ANYONE.

Psyncerely,

Former Psytrance DJ, Max Factor.

PSYTRANCE IS NOT DEAD BUT IT IS NOT ALIVE FROM NATURAL EVOLUTION. IT HAS BEEN CLONED AND BROUGHT BACK. AND THAT IS WONDERFUL JUST DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN. IT MUST BE TREATED AS ALL EDM. IT MUST ACCESSIBLE BY ALL. IT MUST NOT BE REGULATED BY SNOBBISH HIPPIES AND FOR GOD SAKE, PLEASE MIX IT LIKE A DJ. DON'T CRASH IT TOGETHER LIKE GOA GIL AND HIS FOLLOWERS. JUST BECAUSE THE CLIMATE IN GOA MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SPIN RECORDS, DOES NOT EXCUSE THE TRAINWRECKING IN SAN FRANCISCO. IF GOA GIL ACTUALLY KNEW HOW TO DJ, AND DID NOT HAVE A GOD COMPLEX, HE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SO ARROGANT, AS TO TRAINWRECK, LIKE IT WAS ACTUALLY ON TIME AND A COOL MIX. THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING ABLE TO CREATE A NEW EVOLUTION OF PSYTRANCE, IS THE ACCESSIBILITY OF IT'S ORIGINAL ARTISTS. YOUT TUBE MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO LISTEN TO THE EARLY MASTERS. THEN, WE CAN APPRECIAE HOW IT IS AWESOME. THEN, MAKE IT BETTER, BUT DON'T FORGET WHAT MAKES PSYTRANCE DIFFERENT THAN ANYOTHER GENRE. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAT'S OKAY. JUST LISTEN AND YOU WILL HEAR IT. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. IT MUST BE TREATED AS SUCH.

THIS IS HOW YOU CAN GET RID OF THESE COMPARISONS OF PRE AND POST 2000. JUST REMEMBER, IF YOU ARE NEW TO PSYTRANCE AND YOU THINK YOU CAN CREATED DOPE NEW TRACKS, GO FOR IT. I REMEMBER WE HAD EXTERNAL SYNTHS, RACK EFX PROCESSORS, AND THE COMPUTER WAS FOR SEQUENCING. NOW YOU CAN MAKE AN ENTIRE TRACK WITH COMPUTER. REMEMBER TO GET A GOULD MULTITRACK SOUND CARD. USE LOGIC, OR CUBASE, GET SOFWARE SYNTHS SAMPLERS, A MIDI CONTROLLER AND LET'S RE-EVOLVE PSYTRANCE.

I DAS name='Rotwang' timestamp='1300807003' post='972765']

Psytrance is not dead.

Please don't write in capitals. It gives the idea of shouting.

-The mod team

DON'T CRASH IT TOGETHER LIKE GOA GIL AND HIS FOLLOWERS. JUST BECAUSE THE CLIMATE IN GOA MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SPIN RECORDS, DOES NOT EXCUSE THE TRAINWRECKING IN SAN FRANCISCO.

I've never seen GG live, but if you listen to his mix albums like Karmagedon and Kosmokrator they're actually very well mixed.

Goa Gil's trainwrecking killed the scene ? lol .........never hear of that theory before...

It's way out there...I'll give you that :)

What's next? A theory that women are closer to God than men ?

Oh wait...that is already in your profile...and you can scientifically back it up...wow :)

I am not sure what you are saying...there is no structure to your reply. Can you make it clearer and use supporting evidence? Yes, that is my theory...what is so far out? Goa Gil started using dats in Goa because the records woul melt from the heat. There is no pitch control on a mini-dat player. I witnessed him crossfade two dats at different BPM's, resulting in an out of synch mix. Or, in DJ lingo, trainwrecking. All DJ's have trainwrecked (usually when practicing). The difference that an EDM DJ would know that he or she were off beat and correct it immediately. If they did not, it would not be on purpose. Goa Gil was a pioneer of the Psytrance movement. And, therefore, he is highly respected. The problem is that new DJ's that did not know, actually thought that it was OK to trainwreck. And, the audience became very specific. In other words, the mainstream did not attend. The limited number of people and the the saturation of trainwrecking caused a severe drop in record sales. And, ultimately, I believe led to the death of Psytrance.

Again, I am writing from my first hand observations. It is possible that I was the only one that recognized the sacralige. Did you attend Psytrance parties in the late nineties? If you did, what do you think happened?

As far as the woman thing...yes it is a theory. Atomic isotopes act the same way. A positive charged pushes in outward, concentricly. A negative charge pulls inward, concentically. For example the Hydrogen Isotope has one positive proton and one negative electron. So, outward pushing and inward pulling create a synapse, this synapse causes the hydrogen to disappear and reappear and is measurable with quantum physics. Even Steven Hawking used this negative positive relationship to prove the existance of black holes, using Einstein's Relativity. This is called, "Hawking Radiation." And, no I am not trying to get laid. This is the what I see and know to be true. And, the God, I refer is not the one from any religion. It is more like a God Force. It makes sense to me. Just look at Adriana Lima. That is not proof?

Goa Gil's trainwrecking killed the scene ? lol .........never hear of that theory before...

It's way out there...I'll give you that :)

What's next? A theory that women are closer to God than men ?

Oh wait...that is already in your profile...and you can scientifically back it up...wow :)

Even Steven Hawking used this negative positive relationship to prove the existance of black holes, using Einstein's Relativity. This is called, "Hawking Radiation."

No. If you're talking about a mathematical proof that GR predicts the existence of black holes, that was proved by Roger Penrose, not Hawking. If you're talking about a scientific proof that black holes really exist, there is no such thing. Hawking radiation is a different topic altogether.