Isn't it funny

Ormion

Exactly, but do you really think it is?

Like I said I can understand that in a track with a loud kick or in track more minimal, but IMO in most dance tracks out there, from commercial House to experimental stuff the kick is not the dominant element.

Maybe I'm wrong.

:unsure:

take out a] the hihats; b] the melody or c] the kick. which act will cripple your dance track the most you think?

hint: it's the same thing they remove when a break is inserted in a dance track. :ph34r:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"can I just make a comment about the statements that I read from people about; 'when I'm not into the genre, ie. R'n'B it will all sound the same to me'

This might sound like bragging or smth not so nice, but I just wanted to state that no matter music genre, quality or what ever, I am perfectly able to hear all variations and sound and feelings. Be it jazz, rap, hip-hop, soul, fink or dunk. I am not able to not hear everything in a track. And I blame psy for this super human power of mine :P I've always loved sounds and tones since I was little, but when I got introduced to the psychedelic experience and the psytrance sounds around my ear got a massive tune up, I became much more avare of the details in e piece of music.

I know I'm writing like a crow now and maybe for some it will be hard to understand or swallow what I mean, but I suspect some of you will understand perfectly what I mean.

yo"

I understand what you mean. :D But yeah, you better watch your back from now on. <_<

can I just make a comment about the statements that I read from people about; 'when I'm not into the genre, ie. R'n'B it will all sound the same to me'

This might sound like bragging or smth not so nice, but I just wanted to state that no matter music genre, quality or what ever, I am perfectly able to hear all variations and sound and feelings. Be it jazz, rap, hip-hop, soul, fink or dunk. I am not able to not hear everything in a track. And I blame psy for this super human power of mine :P I've always loved sounds and tones since I was little, but when I got introduced to the psychedelic experience and the psytrance sounds around my ear got a massive tune up, I became much more avare of the details in e piece of music.

I know I'm writing like a crow now and maybe for some it will be hard to understand or swallow what I mean, but I suspect some of you will understand perfectly what I mean.

yo

I agree with that. I'm not saying that I hear every difference or every tiny sound but in general I am able to hear a difference between songs from the same genre, even when I don't care for it. Because of that I sort of assume that (some) people who don't, just don't want to, especially when we're talking about a style they dislike. Not that this is bad, to each his own I say. I mean why invest time in a genre you don't like... But if those people then blame it on the music and not on themselfes I can't take that too serious (doesn't matter if we talk about psy or commercial stuff like r'n'B).

It seems that my topic has slightly been misunderstood.

This topic is about the boom-boom problem, not about the fact that some people can't aprecciate dance music.

It's about the strange(?) habit for non-dance listeners to simply hear only the kick drum!

It doesn't matter if it's Goa or Darkpsy or Techno. For them everything is boom-boom.

So the question is: Why the only focus on the kickdrum? When I listen to Death Metal I don't focus to the drums. And damn the drums are wild and pretty similar in all the songs.

To be honest I have never had anyone complain about the kick drum or say it is just boom boom boom only that either it all sounds the same or that it is not real music (no lyris the heathens :pissed:) Maybe it's because what I play is not just boom-boom (goa, old psy, good fullon, downtempo, IDM, Ambient, Modern Classical, techno, some house) but not one of my illiterate (musically) friends has complained about the kick drum boom-boom! Not one! Amazing however they have complained about everything else.

I'm glad i have friends that can appreciate the boom boom music i prefer over other genres, not that i dont listen to them but not as much as i listen to electronic, because during our chilling sessions in college , post college there used to be a point when we put on psy and everyone used to be in the zone tripping away on the kik-drum. they said that psy took them higher after they'd smoked a couple. i take a some amount of credit for them being open to trance techno whatever since i was the one always pulling them to outdoor , indoor raves etc. Most of them like GMS , astrix, neuromotor and tracks like higher tel aviv etc :P but at least they are open to it and i don't feel like the odd one out at parties when requesting for some electronic music. and when people see a group of five six enjoying some electronic even they get drawn just out curiosity probably or just join in the spirit of the party

If your friends dont mind it and don't go all Michael Jackson on you more often than not nowadays , then really there is no point in worrying about a old man at work who doesn't know his arm from his elbow about electronic or random passerby who always looks down on someone listening to repetitive beats. Forgive them father , for little do they know.

that people that don't listen to dance music seems to always refer to it as boom-boom music? (boom is the kick drum obviously).

It seems that the kick drum is the only thing they can hear in a dance track.

There was that old dude in my work today and he started talking about the old days and how good music was and blah-blah and eventually he started talking about the modern dance music and that it's all the same, just boom-boom all the time.

This argument comes every time when some guy who's not interest in dance music talks about it.

My best friend who is a metalhead but digs some dance music believes that all psytrance is pretty much the same, because apparently they are all boom-boom.

I mean you can add multiple melodies, dozens of layers, hundreds of effects, hats, snares, pads, crazy bass, anything but no! All they can hear is the kick!

It's like saying that all rock music is boom-tski-boom-tsa because all I can hear is the drums!

FAIL :wank:

Well, its exactly the same for me, as long i dont dig deeper into electronica genres they seem to be "the same" - if someone played me progressive something and something from different electronica genre i probably wouldnt tell em appart since i never pay attention to differences cause im just enjoying it if its good and turning away if its shit :D Thats the way it is :)

Answer must be; Infected Mushroom. Their album Classical Mushroom has this power to convert peoples mind. :D

np. Infected Mushroom - Nothing Comes Easy

This and Yahel's album Waves of sound is what converted me :) Think both albums are easy-listen and have elements that overlap the kickdrum/basslines for an unexperienced listener