BUYING A NEW CD

Pandemonium

:blink:

Just went to Tokyo today and picked up Hol Baumann-Human. Only to come home (over an hour away) and find that its already scratched. How can this be? I cant return it now, its already opened. I guess next time I will just have to open it in the store before I leave. I havnt listend to it yet so I dont know if the scratches are deep enough to damage the sound, but still. After dropping 2,700 yen (about $28) on a cd that shit better not only be in mint condition, but it also better suck my dick.

Anyone ever had an unfortunate experience such as this?

Many, many years ago. I remember my old copy of Astral Projection's "The astral files" was anything but mint the very moment I opened it, removed the plastic wrap paper, and took the CD out of the case.

I was like: "What the fuck?" myself, but there wasn't much I could do. Anyways, that was like ten years ago, I guess.

I do remember I was very sad, as it was one of my first psy trance CDs ever. Beh...

Yeah, the first copy of Schlabb 6 I bought from Quintrix was scratched to fuck but I couldn't be bothered going back in to Tokyo to take it back. Was a bit pissed of for sure!

Had it with a sealed winter blooms from saikosounds... Opened it and as a normal reflex I always check the disc (habbit if you buy so much secondhand) and it had a few light marks...

Don't know how it happens, guess factory when the discs get shuffled or something or when the machine places them in the digipack...

Greetz

Sealed and scratched?

I didn't even think that this was possible!

You should go ask at the store. Maybe the other copies they have are scratched aswell?

And you should email Ultimae! Maybe more of the CDs have defects and they don't know! Or maybe they can do something about your misery.

Good luck. This sure is a bummer. Hope it never happens to me...

Good ideas RTP... I had a CD from Ultimae that was fucked (no physical scratches though) and they sent me a new functional one (very fast)... But that was bought on their website, and think its difficult to get help from them directly if u didn't buy it there.

Yeah, I hear ya.

When I received Hiroshi Watanabe's album the cd was also scratched. This can be explained thou by the worst cd package concept I've confronted: First you have an oversized cardboard box you open, inside you have a booklet, in between that they put the cd itself. Now to make it clear: there is _no_ cd holder "teeth" anywhere! What where they thinking...

It gets worse than that. Don't remember exactly which cd it was (am sure someone on psynews knows) but they used a metal box, including a metal cd holder. The problem was, if the box got hot (you know, temperature changes) the metal expanded and shrunk, and as it expanded, it shattered the cd it was holding. Too much pressure from the inside hole in the cd, and whoops, your whole cd is broken into tiny pieces. That's what I call a bad idea. :)

A lot of recent Twisted Records albums I got were scratched too fast. Very cheap coating I guess. Especially the second and the third Shpongle. Lesson learnt. Now I use the CD only once. Straight to the PC/iPod :drama:

same.

as soon as i get a new cd - rip to wav immediataly and encode to flac.

i should note beatspace.com - i once bought a cd from them where the last track had problems in the last 1 minute. the cd itself was ok, no scratches or anything. they sent me a replacement cd free of charge :)

It gets worse than that. Don't remember exactly which cd it was (am sure someone on psynews knows) but they used a metal box, including a metal cd holder. The problem was, if the box got hot (you know, temperature changes) the metal expanded and shrunk, and as it expanded, it shattered the cd it was holding. Too much pressure from the inside hole in the cd, and whoops, your whole cd is broken into tiny pieces. That's what I call a bad idea. :)

I had the exact sime thing happening to me! Not with a psy CD tho but with the Alpha-Omega album from Project Pitchfork. The good thing was that a friend of mine also bought the CD, gave me her receipe so I was able to get a new CD from the store. I'm not putting the CD in the holder anymore but just lay it in the metal case. Now the CD is still in perfect condition. Besides that I never had problems with a new album.

ouch...

ouch to the packaging concept of that mentioned Watanabe album aswell...

and ouch to all CD cases where you have to slide the CD into - I don't mean the professional plastic DJ CD sleeves though, no, I'm talking about a cardboard sleeve thing. I've got this one album where the digipak is actually a book and the last "page" in the book is the CD sleeve. This strategy together with not the best CD coating is fatal. You can be as careful as you want (and I really am careful when it comes to my CDs, really), it's inevitable to take the CD in and out without tiny scratches...

But I never ever had known a case where a sealed jewel case or digipak (as in this case - I assume that Ultimae piece came in the characteristic digipak aswell) contained a scratched or broken CD. This is strange.

and ouch to all CD cases where you have to slide the CD into

yeah really where's the idea there? also sometimes there's very little space available for the cd - you really have to use force to get it out of the cardboard sleeve....

Yeah, the first copy of Schlabb 6 I bought from Quintrix was scratched to fuck but I couldn't be bothered going back in to Tokyo to take it back. Was a bit pissed of for sure!

Yes this cd was also purchased at Quintrix.

This CD is just released.

So you think it was already opened, somehow scratched & re-sealed by the store ? Or a factory defect ?

And how much big are the scratches ?

I think it might have been opened and repackaged. It has two small scratches on it that are curved shaped, one being a quarter inch long, and the other a half inch.

Sealed and scratched?

I didn't even think that this was possible!

You should go ask at the store. Maybe the other copies they have are scratched aswell?

And you should email Ultimae! Maybe more of the CDs have defects and they don't know! Or maybe they can do something about your misery.

Good luck. This sure is a bummer. Hope it never happens to me...

I didnt think it was possible either.

I should tell the store. but I probly wont be going back there for a while, their selection has dissapointed me lately, only 2 of the 12 cds on my to buy list were in stock and not sold out.

I got the exact same a few months ago with some DVD that was unplayable. I complained to the guy I had bought it to on ebay who replied "not my fault, the cd was packaged isn't it ?"...well this was bullshit as the guy had obviously put another shrink wrap after he somehow damaged the dvd.

Indeed, some stores happen to let some customers listen to the cds, and of course these cds end up getting scratched. Then if the store owner can either let that cd to a regardless buyer for a small price, OR knows how to do a shrink wrap. Then he'll repackage it and can pretend this is a factory issue if the buyer complains.

Since I am producing cds, I can tell there ARE defects, but very very few. It happens the cd is badly pressed, but we're not talking about scratches, rather internal material defects. On our new compilation Opus Iridium, a couple of copies have too short covers too. We're talking about 1 or 2 over 1000 copies. My point is replication processes are really efficient nowadays, Scratches are unlikely to happen.

ah... Good old RTTS compilations (Deep trance & Tribal beats and The Chakra Journey) managed to give scratched cds as well because of their terrible packing... Never saw a more unlogic way of packaging cds...