Best of mainstream chillout?

Shaft

I'm not really looking for cheesy vocals, but nice music really.. stuff like:

Groove Armada - At The River

Chicane - Low Sun

Kinobe - Slip Into Something More Comfortable

etc.. I just want to experience a little more of this music, as it's nice in the background (and my chill collection will not be all shanti shanti ethno beats :P )..

I think the stuff around the late 90s would be best, but also stuff that's readily available to buy through Amazon.. none of the plastic formulaic stuff of today. Cheers! :)

Guest The Journey Man Project

Air - "Moon Safari" the greates chillout and make out album in history.. it works for me and my girl 8 years on as good as it did back then :D

I'm not really looking for cheesy vocals, but nice music really.. stuff like:

Groove Armada - At The River

Chicane - Low Sun

Kinobe - Slip Into Something More Comfortable

etc.. I just want to experience a little more of this music, as it's nice in the background (and my chill collection will not be all shanti shanti ethno beats :P )..

I think the stuff around the late 90s would be best, but also stuff that's readily available to buy through Amazon.. none of the plastic formulaic stuff of today. Cheers! :)

Stalker, try Chilling Matenda - Mediterran ... this is not commercial chillout, but it sounds pretty in that vein! No shanti ethno hippie stuff. You could like that, check it out :)

Vangelis - Antarctica

Yeah! :)

I can't wait till the streets are full of snow, all water turned into ice.. icey cold outside and then listen to Antarctica.. :ph34r:

If only that's going to happen this year, it's january and still almost 10 degrees C outside.. dûûûh!

Guest The Journey Man Project

I also reccomende checking out the soundtrack to that movie March of the emperor Penguins or soemthing... the Frenh Soundtrack is great, not the American version... the French soundtrack has some track that have a really beuatifl French vocalist... I also reccomend Omnimotions latests album, it is very much more mianstream with great vocals, and I find that I often play it along with the Air album, they seem to compliment each other quite nicely :D

Banco de Gaia - Maya, Last train to Lhasa

It was mainstream

Quite but how many people know banco de gaia if you asked? I know 0! Even people into electronice music

SASHA - AIRDRAWNDAGGER

However is a name so many people know. Very mainstream. Although didn't sasha fans hate this album? Typical!

However is a name so many people know. Very mainstream. Although didn't sasha fans hate this album? Typical!

Yeah it didn't quite live up to the expectations of a lot of sasha fans. They thought it would be a progressive trance/house album. Little did they know it was going to be completely different. A lot of them 'fans'were just too many narrow-minded. :)

I wasn't in any way surprised though, I've seen people think http://www.discogs.com/release/690728 is the same Sasha :P

I also reccomende checking out the soundtrack to that movie March of the emperor Penguins or soemthing... the Frenh Soundtrack is great, not the American version... the French soundtrack has some track that have a really beuatifl French vocalist... I also reccomend Omnimotions latests album, it is very much more mianstream with great vocals, and I find that I often play it along with the Air album, they seem to compliment each other quite nicely :D

another example of how taste is a completely personal thing....I found the soundtrack of the penguins,along with the emotional talking absolutely horrible.... I would prefer some real ambient from the like of namlook or roach for that film...totally fits with the arctic landscapes! ;)

anw on topic now:

I would reccomend some enigma :)

Has anyone heard BT's new album 'This Binary Universe'? Not really mainstream chillout but IMO it's quite possibly the best ambient album to be released this decade. I got it for christmas and i cant stop listening to it. It's absolutely stunning, BT's really outdone himself on this one :)

Has anyone heard BT's new album 'This Binary Universe'? Not really mainstream chillout but IMO it's quite possibly the best ambient album to released this decade. I got it for christmas and i cant stop listening to it. It's absolutely stunning, BT's really outdone himself on this one :)

I loved BT but haven't heard much recent stuff. I've heard a lot of great things about this album though. I want to check it out for sure.