The importance of the compiler

phobium

These days most compilations have got the text "compiled by .... " written on the front. How important is that too you?

I find it a bit silly since most of the "compilers" are unknown to me. Seems like most of them are small time djs who has had a few gigs here and there and put their name on the compilation to get more gigs.

If the compilation was compiled by someone relatively known it puts things in a different perspective of course. Say a compilation is compiled by Simon Posford/Shulman/Boris Blenn/Nik Barber/whatever it gets my attention, but when it's someone totally unknown ... what good does it do?

These days most compilations have got the text "compiled by .... " written on the front. How important is that too you?

I find it a bit silly since most of the "compilers" are unknown to me. Seems like most of them are small time djs who has had a few gigs here and there and put their name on the compilation to get more gigs.

If the compilation was compiled by someone relatively known it puts things in a different perspective of course. Say a compilation is compiled by Simon Posford/Shulman/Boris Blenn/Nik Barber/whatever it gets my attention, but when it's someone totally unknown ... what good does it do?

im make a counter statement, when I see "Compiled by Raja/All the other bigboys..." it actually tells me not to buy it, whereas when its compiled by some rather unkown dj, then I almost always get to hear something cool and diffrent.... discuss :D

im make a counter statement, when I see "Compiled by Raja/All the other bigboys..." it actually tells me not to buy it, whereas when its compiled by some rather unkown dj, then I almost always get to hear something cool and diffrent.... discuss :D

I totally see your point. And I agree of course, depending on the name. But ... if it says "compiled by dj waddabadda" or no info about the compiler at all, just the name of the label ... what's the difference? I think it especially applies to new labels that havn't built a name for themselfs yet.

imo you should credit the compiler always. same as mastering engineers, graphic designers etc. should be credited (i personally haven't ever paid special attention to the names of the designer, i hardly know any...). it would be a bit unfair to just not credit the compiler because he's not known.

but i see where you're pointing at actually...that few "compilers" may not have compiled the record by themselves actually, and just get their name printed for some propaganda.....it's a foolish world, ain't it.

Psy-scene and psy-labels in particular are trying to copy selling techniques from more main-stream styles, hence the vocals, naked chicks / 'pretty' guys on covers, stickers & info about DJ's that compiled or support the music... In my opinion it's very lame, because it's the music that should sell, not the cover...

Personally I wouldn't buy anything compiled by Astrix, Raja Ram or Eskimo, so apparently this doesn't work on me :):D

imo you should credit the compiler always. same as mastering engineers, graphic designers etc. should be credited (i personally haven't ever paid special attention to the names of the designer, i hardly know any...). it would be a bit unfair to just not credit the compiler because he's not known.

Of course, they should be credited. But on the front? How many mastering technicians or cover designers get their name on the front? That's my point.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything compiled by Astrix, Raja Ram or Eskimo, so apparently this doesn't work on me :):D

But those are known names, not a name you see for the first time on the front cover on a compilation :)

Psy-scene and psy-labels in particular are trying to copy selling techniques from more main-stream styles, hence the vocals, naked chicks / 'pretty' guys on covers, stickers & info about DJ's that compiled or support the music... In my opinion it's very lame, because it's the music that should sell, not the cover...

I agree that in many cases it doesn't matter to me who compiles because the music's gonna be fullon, no matter. In those cases (and when it's somebody totally unknown to me) I agree that it's just useless.

However, in some cases it can be quite cool. Because some DJs/artists have a nice style. For example if Atmos or Matenda would compile a compilation I'd surely be interested in it because I can be sure it won't be crap what's on there, even if I know none of the artists/tracks on the compilation. I have a compilation "compiled by DJ Seth" (Seth is Setherian) ... I like Setherian, that's why I bought the comp - and it's not bad at all.

But when it's just another fullon stomper I don't care...

Not important if the compiler did a good job. :) Don't care who it did, cause the same compiler could have made bad choises in previous compilations...

Offcoarse some name's can give you a good idea of what to expect. :)

i dont care who compiled it, not at all.

what cares - good music and not WHO selected it.

so i find it as just another lame attemp to gather attention and fame in todays psy scene to boost ones ego and to make more money.

pretentious.

Compiler should be credited no matter who he is, to me it simply represents the fact to know who compiled or mixed certain compilation or mix, as I would like to know who made the choice of trax included.

Guest The Journey Man Project

the compiler means nothing to me, but the label is important, and definitely the mastering... for example I love dark psy, but Xenomorph's mastering just sounds weak, and it is difficult to mix as I find the volume level of cd's mastered by him seem really low... so I generally avoid a cd mastered by Xenomorph... same as TIP World... is Raja's hearing going? It always seems to have excessive volume compared to other releases....

same as TIP World... is Raja's hearing going? It always seems to have excessive volume compared to other releases....

:lol:

Well, he is well over 60, so yeah. :D

who is compiler?

:huh:

It could be important to know what style the compilation is... I always find it interesting who has done the work behind a compilation, especially if I really like the compilation, I might want to check out a dj set or more compilations by the one who has compiled it...

I don't see anything wrong with that... All Dj's has to start somewhere... Paul Oakenfold put his name n his first compilations too at a time he was unknown... Also, these names you have seen might me unknown to you, but not for others. And so what if it is a bedroom dj early in his/her career...? Then it might be even more important to know the compiler, because if you like his work, you can check out what more good stuff he does in the future... I don't think it's any more silly than writing the artist names on the compilation...

Let's say you go to a party and hear a really good set by an unknown dj... You get curious about the style he is playing, and you see a cover with compiled by that dj on... Perfect reason to have the compiler cred on...:)

I don't like this kind of warshipping.... Give all the compilers, known and unknown, a fair chance instead... They do a lot of work/often more work to make a compilation and deserve to be credited for it, just like you deserve to be credited for a track you are releasing...

PKS

It could be important to know what style the compilation is... I always find it interesting who has done the work behind a compilation, especially if I really like the compilation, I might want to check out a dj set or more compilations by the one who has compiled it...

I don't see anything wrong with that... All Dj's has to start somewhere... Paul Oakenfold put his name n his first compilations too at a time he was unknown... Also, these names you have seen might me unknown to you, but not for others. And so what if it is a bedroom dj early in his/her career...? Then it might be even more important to know the compiler, because if you like his work, you can check out what more good stuff he does in the future... I don't think it's any more silly than writing the artist names on the compilation...

Let's say you go to a party and hear a really good set by an unknown dj... You get curious about the style he is playing, and you see a cover with compiled by that dj on... Perfect reason to have the compiler cred on...:)

I don't like this kind of warshipping.... Give all the compilers, known and unknown, a fair chance instead... They do a lot of work/often more work to make a compilation and deserve to be credited for it, just like you deserve to be credited for a track you are releasing...

PKS

you are just saying that to justify the fact that you put it on your own cds as wel!!! :D:lol:

No, im kidding here! Good arguments right there :)

The compiler is not that important to me. It sure is interesting to see who compiled the tracks and if it's a name I've heard before and probably even enjoyed his tracks or mixes it makes me curious about the release. But the days of buying music without prelistening some samples are over for me. No matter who compiled the tracks, I will give it a listen before I buy. But as others said before: if I like a compilation done by a certain artist I sure have my eyes and ears open for releases by the same guy.

the compiler isnt extremely important indeed as many have said already..

but the compiler usually is part of the label as well and for small labels that means he/she/alien might be the one putting his money in to release the whole shebang. in that case he is the one taking risks.. i think that should be credited for.. sure it could be on the back with the graphic designer, the masterer etc.. but hey he is compiling it so he is in charge.. so its at the front hehe.. wouldnt you do the same? i would. a little extra fame wont harm. especially not in these days with so many cd's live acts etc.

so basically it is to get more people to know you.. but i dont see anything wrong in that. if its a horrible cd you'll remember never to pick up anything by him anymore.. if its decent you forget about him., if its good you'll try to find more!

next up: va- tiki tactics compiled by supergroover :lol:

As said here I already I also like to know who compiled a cd, it shows us what we can expect... BUT!

If it is an ego-cultus thing, I simply skip, when the cover sais which big star dj compiled it and the groups that actually made the music a somewhere hidden on the back... God no... a dj/compiler should be loyal with his artists and give the credits they deserve to them imo... So of course it must be written somewhere who compiled it, but not in huge letter with a phancy picture on the cover...